Author Topic: Kansas City things  (Read 1007047 times)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas City things
« Reply #12950 on: December 21, 2021, 09:17:28 PM »
B) you can't get to anything via foot or public trans. Nothing is in the middle or any other area you want to be. KC is wide, not tall.
[/quote]

KC is tall, not wide is what i think you meant to say?

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12951 on: December 21, 2021, 09:28:26 PM »
I can go weeks without driving that's not working at home or delivery of anything.

Definitely would be annoyed not having a car needing to go to royals and cats games. Only 11% of household don't have a car here so not common.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12952 on: December 21, 2021, 09:31:03 PM »
I can go weeks without driving that's not working at home or delivery of anything.

Definitely would be annoyed not having a car needing to go to royals and cats games. Only 11% of household don't have a car here so not common.

yeah, I'm sure it's fine for you

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12953 on: December 21, 2021, 09:32:31 PM »

no, there is no concentration of anything in kc. there is no vertical city. everything is spread out. wide. not tall.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12954 on: December 21, 2021, 09:38:20 PM »

I just know people who do it successfully full time and not homeless bums. I couldn't do it all the time, to inpatient. I just hate driving.

Online 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12955 on: December 21, 2021, 10:21:30 PM »

I just know people who do it successfully full time and not homeless bums. I couldn't do it all the time, to inpatient. I just hate driving.
Seems like it would be hard because 98% of the people you know in the KC area don’t live within a couple miles
:adios:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12956 on: December 22, 2021, 07:16:28 AM »
It's amazing how many more applicants I get for Austin vs places like Dallas- Fort Worth, Atlanta, New York, etc. It's the new place everyone wants to be these days.

In our relative lifetimes the popularity of Austin is not new.  It was popular when I was graduating when is longer ago than I would like to admit.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12957 on: December 22, 2021, 08:20:15 AM »

no, there is no concentration of anything in kc. there is no vertical city. everything is spread out. wide. not tall.

i guess you mean like a histogram. yes everything is spread out and built for cars. as i mentioned earlier it is in the top 5% least dense US cities >100k

on a map, kcmo is very tall and not wide

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #12958 on: December 22, 2021, 08:23:50 AM »
It's amazing how many more applicants I get for Austin vs places like Dallas- Fort Worth, Atlanta, New York, etc. It's the new place everyone wants to be these days.

In our relative lifetimes the popularity of Austin is not new.  It was popular when I was graduating when is longer ago than I would like to admit.
True, but I thought it was fairly relevant with the new tech bubble and the people running away from California since the start of the pandemic (I wouldn't. I love that freaking state). At least that's what I hear on a crap ton of calls.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12959 on: December 22, 2021, 12:22:16 PM »

True, but I thought it was fairly relevant with the new tech bubble and the people running away from California since the start of the pandemic (I wouldn't. I love that freaking state). At least that's what I hear on a crap ton of calls.

It's been booming since the early 80's, bro. Now, perhaps what you say about dentists in particular is true, but Austin's growth has nothing to do with the pandemic.

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12960 on: December 22, 2021, 12:23:19 PM »
Austin, Massachusetts?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #12961 on: December 22, 2021, 01:42:50 PM »

These are the people who go apeshit on twitter about KC not having enough bike lanes to fit their voluntarily exotic lifestyle.

My wife's car is in the shop right now (see "DQ's Wife's Car Gets Broken Into" post from last page), and even just sharing a car in this city for a childless couple is a PITA.

We're a car city, baby. Nothing to be ashamed of IMO.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12962 on: December 22, 2021, 02:26:03 PM »
jfc

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12963 on: December 22, 2021, 03:08:29 PM »

These are the people who go apeshit on twitter about KC not having enough bike lanes to fit their voluntarily exotic lifestyle.

My wife's car is in the shop right now (see "DQ's Wife's Car Gets Broken Into" post from last page), and even just sharing a car in this city for a childless couple is a PITA.

We're a car city, baby. Nothing to be ashamed of IMO.
You know what else is a car city? LA, the Dallas of the west!

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #12964 on: December 22, 2021, 03:37:09 PM »

These two cities have roughly the same Metro population:

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12965 on: December 22, 2021, 03:58:36 PM »
Vancouver is so dope

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12966 on: December 22, 2021, 04:36:36 PM »

These two cities have roughly the same Metro population:

People work in those tall buildings, they don't live in them.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12967 on: December 22, 2021, 04:52:27 PM »
I wish kc was laid out the way Portland is. Imagine walking from downtown, to plaza, to bottoms, River market and crossroads etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12968 on: December 22, 2021, 05:34:46 PM »
I wish kc was laid out the way Portland is. Imagine walking from downtown, to plaza, to bottoms, River market and crossroads etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

During the pandemic I did all of these walks.  The elevations changes and overall hostility to pedestrians traversing from neighborhood to neighborhood is real.  I ended up walking River Market to south plaza at least 8 times along different N/S routes.  Not one was without some scary crossings.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12969 on: December 22, 2021, 07:13:43 PM »
phil, you're really wanting kc to be something it isn't and it'll never be. and I support you in that desire. have you considered moving to a city that is what you wish kc was?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12970 on: December 22, 2021, 07:44:35 PM »
KC can get better in the ways Phil would like it to and not get all the way but still be great and still worth trying

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12971 on: December 22, 2021, 08:11:20 PM »
KC can get better in the ways Phil would like it to and not get all the way but still be great and still worth trying

I'll do you one better, KC is ALREADY GREAT in it's own way.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12972 on: December 22, 2021, 08:38:30 PM »

STILL BE GREAT

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12973 on: December 23, 2021, 08:59:06 AM »
phil, you're really wanting kc to be something it isn't and it'll never be. and I support you in that desire. have you considered moving to a city that is what you wish kc was?

Something it was and can be again.  WILL BE again!

It's too easy to just move to a city with everything I want, why not make the city I love even better? 

“A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit.”

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12974 on: December 23, 2021, 09:00:23 AM »

and I agree with this.