Author Topic: Kansas City things  (Read 982731 times)

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas City things
« Reply #12525 on: January 13, 2021, 11:16:46 AM »
It looks like this just follows an existing road? What is the point?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12526 on: January 13, 2021, 11:18:10 AM »
Oh, nvm, I see that the road is not ped friendly

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12527 on: January 13, 2021, 11:55:26 AM »
yeah it's prohibitively dangerous to ride on now. no shoulder and a fairly blind curve

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12528 on: January 13, 2021, 12:42:06 PM »
was going to say, the main street trail to the riverfront trail isn't enough?  isn't the point of riding your bike to ride actually it and not look for shortcuts to everywhere you're going?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12529 on: January 13, 2021, 12:51:08 PM »
was going to say, the main street trail to the riverfront trail isn't enough?  isn't the point of riding your bike to ride actually it and not look for shortcuts to everywhere you're going?

the stairway down is the annoyance on the current Main street thing.  I think this ped walkway is more for leisurely connecting the two versus the exercise bros.

There is also talk of extending the riverfront trail east through the levees to KCK.  Something that direction versus the path under the Main street overpass being only east.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12530 on: January 13, 2021, 01:03:32 PM »

the stairway down is the annoyance on the current Main street thing.  I think this ped walkway is more for leisurely connecting the two versus the exercise bros.

There is also talk of extending the riverfront trail east through the levees to KCK.  Something that direction versus the path under the Main street overpass being only east.

using the lewis and clark?  building a ped/bike bridge over the river would cost a fortune.  although if they were looking at doing that, a tunnel is the way to go.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12531 on: January 13, 2021, 01:52:03 PM »

using the lewis and clark?  building a ped/bike bridge over the river would cost a fortune.  although if they were looking at doing that, a tunnel is the way to go.

Using the levees until you get to the Kaw and then using one of those old bridges over there?  I don't remember all the details.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12532 on: January 13, 2021, 02:27:53 PM »

This is just corporate welfare for Big Dog Bar.

it used to go west to KCK, I've ran it.  They blocked it off for some reason.  Same way they blocked off the Interstate on ramp at Independence and Delaware.  No one will respond on twitter why this has been done.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12533 on: January 13, 2021, 02:40:52 PM »
I think it was an issue of who owned the land (state, port, city, whatever) and them not wanting people on said land.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12534 on: January 13, 2021, 02:41:51 PM »

Using the levees until you get to the Kaw and then using one of those old bridges over there?  I don't remember all the details.

there are already a couple of ped-friendly bridges across the Kansas river from the west bottoms to KCK, just southwest of Kaw point.

the main st trail clams mentioned is not rideable. it takes you to the top of an elevator or a series of tight switchback stairs down to the river trail.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12535 on: January 13, 2021, 02:43:30 PM »

this seems like it would be easy. you don't have to go very far west to tie into Woodswether rd

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12536 on: January 13, 2021, 02:44:44 PM »

idk if you were talking about the Missouri or the Kansas, but both rivers have ped-friendly bridges already

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12537 on: January 13, 2021, 02:48:32 PM »

there are already a couple of ped-friendly bridges across the Kansas river from the west bottoms to KCK, just southwest of Kaw point.

the main st trail clams mentioned is not rideable. it takes you to the top of an elevator or a series of tight switchback stairs down to the river trail.

Right.  The other annoying portion of the riverfront trail is having to go underneath the ASB bridge.  I don't know why they couldn't just put crossing arms down across the main trail when a train comes across. 

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12538 on: January 13, 2021, 03:05:34 PM »
i like that part  :dunno:

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12539 on: January 13, 2021, 03:32:18 PM »
i like that part  :dunno:

Are you a stairs or ramp man?  I generally do the stairs.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12541 on: January 14, 2021, 04:55:18 PM »
the parking isn't the problem.
the signage letting people know what's public and what's not, that's the problem. it's admittedly difficult to differentiate between where you can and can't park downtown and i worked down there for over a year (53 weeks).
develop a uniform signage plan that is enforced across all the surface lots/structures downtown and the problem is fixed.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12542 on: January 14, 2021, 05:04:43 PM »
the parking isn't the problem.
the signage letting people know what's public and what's not, that's the problem. it's admittedly difficult to differentiate between where you can and can't park downtown and i worked down there for over a year (53 weeks).
develop a uniform signage plan that is enforced across all the surface lots/structures downtown and the problem is fixed.

Agreed.  I'd also add in buildings that get incentives should share parking they build with incentives somehow.  Maybe that's for residents after hours or public parking after hours.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12543 on: January 14, 2021, 08:49:53 PM »
80% of parking down there is for workers/tenants/permits. I never understood the dunking I got from KCMO homers for calling this out in this thread. Downtown stadium? Cool! It’s not gonna be easy tho. You’re either blowing up businesses or people’s homes and open parking is a very small percentage of downtown.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12544 on: January 14, 2021, 08:59:00 PM »
80% of parking down there is for workers/tenants/permits. I never understood the dunking I got from KCMO homers for calling this out in this thread. Downtown stadium? Cool! It’s not gonna be easy tho. You’re either blowing up businesses or people’s homes and open parking is a very small percentage of downtown.

This is fixable and once a stadium comes down here and those garage owners see they have a consistent after 5pm drive in crowd, it will be magical how fast they make their excess parking supply profitable for them.

Add in you can bring people in on a free toy train all the way from UMKC by then?  Easy.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12545 on: January 14, 2021, 09:02:27 PM »
I don’t think it’s a good look he’s talking down to an out of towner either. Locals here lol about the parking sitch, because they know where to go when things are full. This is a legit person who drives to the city for a city experience and doesn’t know where to go. Farmer from Salina, KS ready to spend $ in our economy feels uncomfortable and doesn’t know where to Park without getting railed by parking costs and made fun of by the local derps. Bad look.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12546 on: January 14, 2021, 09:18:50 PM »
I don’t think it’s a good look he’s talking down to an out of towner either. Locals here lol about the parking sitch, because they know where to go when things are full. This is a legit person who drives to the city for a city experience and doesn’t know where to go. Farmer from Salina, KS ready to spend $ in our economy feels uncomfortable and doesn’t know where to Park without getting railed by parking costs and made fun of by the local derps. Bad look.

:confused:

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12547 on: January 14, 2021, 09:19:55 PM »
It's a bad look to inform someone that there is plenty of parking?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12548 on: January 14, 2021, 09:28:13 PM »
For most residents, yes. Nobody uses those parking lots other than people who work downtown, dorks.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12549 on: January 14, 2021, 09:29:47 PM »
Does KC still require businesses to have a minimum number of parking spots?