Author Topic: Kansas City things  (Read 1006461 times)

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas City things
« Reply #6775 on: April 27, 2017, 02:47:26 PM »
@pissclams @philtitola no comment on the 0 subsidies hotel being built in the crossroads? Disappointed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6776 on: April 27, 2017, 02:50:28 PM »
I had fun at the only beerfest I've ever been to. it was ten years ago and on top of the parking garage inside legends. there was a brand new beer there from a tiny midwest startup named tallgrass.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6777 on: April 27, 2017, 02:59:20 PM »
I had fun at the only beerfest I've ever been to. it was ten years ago and on top of the parking garage inside legends. there was a brand new beer there from a tiny midwest startup named tallgrass.

Hey, did you know that guy was on TOTT last week?

Good stuff.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6778 on: April 27, 2017, 03:17:16 PM »
@pissclams @philtitola no comment on the 0 subsidies hotel being built in the crossroads? Disappointed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another surface lot bites the dust....Hard to keep up with all this winning.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6780 on: April 28, 2017, 10:45:06 AM »
Can someone get a petition going that I get to vote on every road expansion in desolate areas of the city? Or a petition on petitions?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6781 on: April 28, 2017, 11:43:25 AM »
i don't understand why anyone would be against allowing the city's voters voice to be heard on the project, unless of course they were afraid that the city's voters might reject the idea

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6782 on: April 28, 2017, 12:06:40 PM »
the city's voters would overwhelmingly approve the project, but the mere act of delaying it for a vote may put the project at risk

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6783 on: April 28, 2017, 12:07:50 PM »
i don't understand why anyone would be against allowing the city's voters voice to be heard on the project, unless of course they were afraid that the city's voters might reject the idea

Kind of like voters in the TDD that approved the streetcar?

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6784 on: April 28, 2017, 12:20:32 PM »

Because we have a representative democracy. I don't really want to vote on every road expansion approved by council. Nothing gets done if we ask every voter every decision the council has legality to decide on its own.  Petitions are great when used appropriately...but they are bring abused.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6785 on: April 28, 2017, 12:56:17 PM »
the city's voters would overwhelmingly approve the project, but the mere act of delaying it for a vote may put the project at risk

if there's money to be made i'm sure someone else will come along

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6786 on: April 28, 2017, 12:56:52 PM »

the city's voters didn't vote on the streetcar.  450 people did, but you knew that.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6787 on: April 28, 2017, 01:00:37 PM »

Because we have a representative democracy. I don't really want to vote on every road expansion approved by council. Nothing gets done if we ask every voter every decision the council has legality to decide on its own.  Petitions are great when used appropriately...but they are bring abused.

simple solution- don't vote on every road expansion if you don't want to.  no one is forcing you to.
what's being abused is the TDD process, that's it. 

i have no issue with the council and mayor running the city and fixing sidewalks and infrastructure.  when we're talking about major initiatives that will impact the main rough ridin' street of our city or 30+ year bond that will be around long after our council is no longer around, there's really no harm in bringing these larger issues to a public vote.  delay and possibly nix the project?  this development group is going no where, and if they do leave and there's money to be made, someone else will come and do the bait and switch hotel scheme. 

KCMO city government has proven itself over the last 100 years to be completely incompetent when it comes to making big decisions and that's why the petition clause is in our charter in the first place.  live by the sword, die by it.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6788 on: April 28, 2017, 01:06:36 PM »
The hotel bond isn't backed by the city.  The streetcar was voted in through a state law method of funding transportation projects.

Further delays will cost the developers and city money.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6789 on: April 28, 2017, 01:41:07 PM »
The hotel bond isn't backed by the city.  The streetcar was voted in through a state law method of funding transportation projects.

Further delays will cost the developers and city money.

dang, i really thought i was going to change your mind.

regardless, due diligence doesn't cost money, making the wrong decision does.  i'd rather sleep comfortable at night abiding by the wishes of my neighbors and fellow residents of KCMO rather than those of a haggard group of ill equipped city council people.  there's a very good reason why those folks are in the public sector.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6790 on: April 28, 2017, 01:45:35 PM »
You want to rely on citizens that can't be bothered to educate themselves on real issues to know the finer details of the Hyatt plan. I admire your faith in your neighbors.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6791 on: April 28, 2017, 01:46:29 PM »

the city's voters didn't vote on the streetcar.  450 people did, but you knew that.

Gotcha. 

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6792 on: April 28, 2017, 01:49:06 PM »

clams doesn't really understand how these projects are financed and it's not terribly relevant to his position - which speaks volumes. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6793 on: April 28, 2017, 02:00:34 PM »
“We’ve had several deadlines come and go,” Loar said. “That $35 million we’ve got committed, softly committed I guess, goes against our bond rating. If we’re asking our taxpayers for a tax increase by issuing bonds in April, I certainly want to make sure every dime that’s spent down here is spent with scrutiny and spent correctly and done right.”

:love:

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6794 on: April 28, 2017, 02:15:14 PM »
“We’ve had several deadlines come and go,” Loar said. “That $35 million we’ve got committed, softly committed I guess, goes against our bond rating. If we’re asking our taxpayers for a tax increase by issuing bonds in April, I certainly want to make sure every dime that’s spent down here is spent with scrutiny and spent correctly and done right.”

Funny...loar is fine spending hundreds of millions up north without any voter input. I'd love to hear how she thinks the money provided by the city on the project goes against our bond rating. That's idiotic.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6795 on: April 28, 2017, 02:31:55 PM »

Funny...loar is fine spending hundreds of millions up north without any voter input. I'd love to hear how she thinks the money provided by the city on the project goes against our bond rating. That's idiotic.

You want to rely on citizens that can't be bothered to educate themselves on real issues to know the finer details of the Hyatt plan. I admire your faith in your neighbors.

rather than those of a haggard group of ill equipped city council people.  there's a very good reason why those folks are in the public sector.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6796 on: April 28, 2017, 02:37:44 PM »
I definitely agree that Loar fits the Haggard ill equiped label....luck for you I've been able to educate you on how some things you hate actually are being funded. Hopefully you've passed on that knowledge to ever neighbor who complained about taxes going to kci.  :cheers:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6797 on: April 28, 2017, 02:45:08 PM »
complete stud JJ's guy

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6798 on: April 28, 2017, 02:46:25 PM »
I love him throwing his gloves off prior to getting money out.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6799 on: April 28, 2017, 02:49:01 PM »
JJ's guy irl was all like  :jerk: