Author Topic: Kansas City things  (Read 1001889 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas City things
« Reply #3800 on: February 18, 2016, 09:29:46 AM »
Yup, can't please everybody, just the 300 people who live in downtown's TDD who got a free toy train to look at!
I think it makes a lot of kc folks outside of that area feel better about their inferiority complex.

Ahhh the old inferiority complex angle. Always a favorite.
I mean, when a group of people scream that they need public transportation but are too snotty to demean themselves to ride a (gulp) bus...I don't know whether it's an inferiority complex but it's certainly something.
I think it ties back to them seeing white people riding trains in what they consider to be "real cities". Just a theory though.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: February 18, 2016, 09:29:58 AM »
Almost everyone I know backing the streetcar rides the bus on the regular....the dorks that say they will ride the streetcar but never ride a bus are typically the hayseed immigrants from Western Kansas... And I'm all on board with saying they have some sort of weird complex.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: February 18, 2016, 09:34:58 AM »
Yup, can't please everybody, just the 300 people who live in downtown's TDD who got a free toy train to look at!
I think it makes a lot of kc folks outside of that area feel better about their inferiority complex.

Ahhh the old inferiority complex angle. Always a favorite.
I mean, when a group of people scream that they need public transportation but are too snotty to demean themselves to ride a (gulp) bus...I don't know whether it's an inferiority complex but it's certainly something.
I think it ties back to them seeing white people riding trains in what they consider to be "real cities". Just a theory though.

I think that is a solid theory. Let's just not blanket the entire KC metro with it.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: February 18, 2016, 09:36:14 AM »
Almost everyone I know backing the streetcar rides the bus on the regular....the dorks that say they will ride the streetcar but never ride a bus are typically the hayseed immigrants from Western Kansas... And I'm all on board with saying they have some sort of weird complex.
OK so it sounds like we're at least in agreement that the streetcar adds next to nothing to the existing public transportation -- at least nothing that a few more busses or routes wouldn't. 

It's a gimmick meant to spike development around the streetcar line. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: February 18, 2016, 09:39:16 AM »
Not one person has ever stated this 2 mile line alone is some sort of transit savior.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: February 18, 2016, 09:40:00 AM »
OK so it sounds like we're at least in agreement that the streetcar adds next to nothing to the existing public transportation -- at least nothing that a few more busses or routes wouldn't. 

It's a gimmick meant to spike development around the streetcar line. 

which is great because these guys can't stop talking about a main street - UMKC expansion
can't wait for the development to hit that underdeveloped area

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: February 18, 2016, 09:41:42 AM »
Not one person has ever stated this 2 mile line alone is some sort of transit savior.
I'm not saying it has to be a transit savior.  I'm saying that the streetcar, along with whatever other city-wide line (that may or may not happen), seems completely superfluous from a transportation perspective. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: February 18, 2016, 09:48:09 AM »
I'm not saying it has to be a transit savior.  I'm saying that the streetcar, along with whatever other city-wide line (that may or may not happen), seems completely superfluous from a transportation perspective.

I'm not going to agree with terms like gimmicky and superfluous when it comes to building out a city wide fixed line that could include commuter rail from the east and Southwest along with streetcar lines South and over the river to the north. Nextrailkc.com would be where I'd point you for much more in depth info that I can give you if you are truly interested.

Offline wELLsculptedbrows

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: February 18, 2016, 09:50:57 AM »
Bitching about "hayseed immigrants from Western Kansas" is a pretty perfect example of the cowtown complex you're trying to deny.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: February 18, 2016, 09:55:51 AM »
streetcar supporters keep conflating light rail and the streetcar.  no, the streetcar is not a piece of the greater public transportation system.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3810 on: February 18, 2016, 09:59:31 AM »
streetcar supporters keep conflating light rail and the streetcar.  no, the streetcar is not a piece of the greater public transportation system.

Okay.
http://humantransit.org/2010/03/streetcars-vs-light-rail-is-there-a-difference.html

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: February 18, 2016, 10:04:12 AM »

Okay.
http://humantransit.org/2010/03/streetcars-vs-light-rail-is-there-a-difference.html

lol at a blog written by jarrett walker (is this the appropriate way to dismiss the article?)

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: February 18, 2016, 10:08:05 AM »
what about a party streetcar. Is that something everyone can get behind?
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: February 18, 2016, 10:11:07 AM »

As long as we can keep the homeless off it.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: February 18, 2016, 10:12:54 AM »

I'm not going to agree with terms like gimmicky and superfluous when it comes to building out a city wide fixed line that could include commuter rail from the east and Southwest along with streetcar lines South and over the river to the north.
Right.  But your post makes several assumptions, namely:

1.  That the broader city lines will be built;
2.  That enough people will use them so that it can be considered actually useful; and if 1 and 2 are true
3.  That a similar bus system, if implemented, would fail (for whatever reason)

I don't think any one of those things are true, and all three of them must be true for this thing to be anything other than superfluous, imho.

Now, if it is superfluous, and it's mainly aimed at increasing development around the line or lines, then fine.  I get that.  But if that's the case, then I think the streetcar is less about transportation, and more about having a fun (albeit risky) gimmick to spur business. 

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: February 18, 2016, 10:16:54 AM »
Streetcars have been known to focus development and that was one of the benefits touted of the KC line. Just not the only benefit.

There is one sure fire way to ensure a city wide system doesn't get built, that is to never start it. This is the beginning of hopefully many expansions.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: February 18, 2016, 10:18:40 AM »
Streetcars have been known to focus development and that was one of the benefits touted of the KC line. Just not the only benefit.

There is one sure fire way to ensure a city wide system doesn't get built, that is to never start it. This is the beginning of hopefully many expansions.
There's also one sure fire way to ensure that a city doesn't blow millions of dollars on what may be a really stupid idea, that is to never start it.

You still haven't explained to me the transportation benefits of a streetcar that a bus doesn't offer. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 10:23:15 AM by Dlew12 »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: February 18, 2016, 10:19:13 AM »
Would downtown KC ever have the mass that would require commuter rail, or even make it useful? Hard to imagine with the availability of cheap land and municipalities and states poaching large employers from other parts of the metro.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: February 18, 2016, 10:37:50 AM »

the party trolley car has gone out of business, twice.  maybe just not enough development along its lines.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: February 18, 2016, 10:44:57 AM »

There's also one sure fire way to ensure that a city doesn't blow millions of dollars on what may be a really stupid idea, that is to never start it.

You still haven't explained to me the transportation benefits of a streetcar that a bus doesn't offer.

Feel free to google fix rail vs bus... I'm obviously not going to convince you as I'm in no way a transit expert.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: February 18, 2016, 10:48:25 AM »
Would downtown KC ever have the mass that would require commuter rail, or even make it useful? Hard to imagine with the availability of cheap land and municipalities and states poaching large employers from other parts of the metro.

That is a big question given kc past after the original streetcar line was removed. A fixed commuter line would begin to focus suburban development too... Instead of this shotgun approach kc metro suburbs have now.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: February 18, 2016, 10:51:36 AM »

I'm in no way a transit expert.

You kind of talk down to people opposed to the streetcar like you are.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: February 18, 2016, 10:57:57 AM »
last night me and ms. blast met some friends at the opera house in the city market and commented on how it would have been perfect for the streetcar. so thank you to everyone who is chipping in for this thing that i will eventually use occasionally.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: February 18, 2016, 10:58:07 AM »
im no civil engineer or city planning expert (i work in investment banking) but i have a close friend who is a civil engineer and works at a transportation firm and he says just about everyone at his office thinks the street car is a gigantic waste of money.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: February 18, 2016, 10:58:55 AM »
Apologize if I come off that way to actual valid questions vs "streetcar is dumb" comments. Not my intent.