Author Topic: Kansas City things  (Read 1007690 times)

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas City things
« Reply #2725 on: August 27, 2015, 11:07:43 PM »
so your point is that since they're throwing a fraction of what's needed at the things that keep the city afloat, let's spend an undefined amount on something we don't need.

i don't want to debate the merits of the project because there's really nothing to debate.  just enjoy the 2 miles man. soak it in.

Yeah I don't care to debate the streetcar at this point as what is done is done and there isn't a defined additional project yet.  I guess I missed that what is being spent on those other items is only a fraction of what is needed.  Where is that info?
if you're not aware, KCMO is currently in an either/or situation
any amount we spend on our city's basic needs isn't enough.  do I have a link that details how much it will cost you and I before our schools aren't a national embarrassment? no I don't.  spend until they're fixed and then spend more.  I can safely say that they have a far greater negative impact to our city's bottom line than the street car ever will have a positive one.

Being without child I can't speak with much knowledge on schools but I'd agree it has been a greater negative in orders of magnitude vs. 2 mile streetcar positives.  My assumption has always been it wasn't a $ problem but a suburban flight mixed with parents not caring problem?

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: August 27, 2015, 11:24:29 PM »
so your point is that since they're throwing a fraction of what's needed at the things that keep the city afloat, let's spend an undefined amount on something we don't need.

i don't want to debate the merits of the project because there's really nothing to debate.  just enjoy the 2 miles man. soak it in.

Yeah I don't care to debate the streetcar at this point as what is done is done and there isn't a defined additional project yet.  I guess I missed that what is being spent on those other items is only a fraction of what is needed.  Where is that info?
if you're not aware, KCMO is currently in an either/or situation
any amount we spend on our city's basic needs isn't enough.  do I have a link that details how much it will cost you and I before our schools aren't a national embarrassment? no I don't.  spend until they're fixed and then spend more.  I can safely say that they have a far greater negative impact to our city's bottom line than the street car ever will have a positive one.

Being without child I can't speak with much knowledge on schools but I'd agree it has been a greater negative in orders of magnitude vs. 2 mile streetcar positives.  My assumption has always been it wasn't a $ problem but a suburban flight mixed with parents not caring problem?
i'm not suggesting that we go buy new schools, but spending money in the east side neighborhoods to create jobs, clean up the dilapidated schools, higher teacher salaries, better & more law enforcement, public assistance in the form of transportation, and more, all these things would help to promote a healthier home environment for the kids in these schools much more than a street car running up and down Independence Ave.  when these kids don't have food to eat, calculus isn't a high priority. i know that the traditional model would dictate that these are problems for the state to address but it's clear that Jeff City has given what they feel is enough.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: August 27, 2015, 11:29:13 PM »
also a big reason why young families  leave Waldo/Brookside for Joco (what you're calling Suburban Flight) is that it's time for their kids to start kindergarten and that ain't happening in Jackson County.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: August 27, 2015, 11:46:59 PM »
also a big reason why young families  leave Waldo/Brookside for Joco (what you're calling Suburban Flight) is that it's time for their kids to start kindergarten and that ain't happening in Jackson County.

Agree and agree with the prior post.  Shouldn't be where people who care about their kids have to decide between private/Academy Lafayette or leave.  If I knew the answer to that, I'd run for god of the city or something.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: August 28, 2015, 07:38:56 AM »
has anyone had gus's fried chicken?
i'm guessing this has been discussed

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/cityscape/article21334215.html

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2730 on: August 28, 2015, 04:00:14 PM »
has anyone had gus's fried chicken?
i'm guessing this has been discussed

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/cityscape/article21334215.html
Meh Wichita fried chicken is just as good.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: August 28, 2015, 04:01:25 PM »

Agree and agree with the prior post.  Shouldn't be where people who care about their kids have to decide between private/Academy Lafayette or leave.  If I knew the answer to that, I'd run for god of the city or something.

this is the only real motivating reason why we're putting our house on the market in the spring

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: August 28, 2015, 04:03:10 PM »

this is the only real motivating reason why we're putting our house on the market in the spring

Not breeding is the answer I came up with

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: August 28, 2015, 04:04:00 PM »
listen guys i mean yeah we need to fix the schools, and infrastructure stuff, but i mean, we put a man in space before we signed the civil rights act and nobody ever gave a crap

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: August 28, 2015, 04:24:38 PM »
They have been trying to fix the schools for 30 years so maybe it's time to try something else.  I just hope Uber will break the cab monopoly in this town so phase 3 or 4 goes to the airport.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: August 29, 2015, 10:09:37 AM »
This American Life had a pretty good two part'er on the school problems on the other side of MO a couple weeks ago.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: August 29, 2015, 04:05:41 PM »

This American Life had a pretty good two part'er on the school problems on the other side of MO a couple weeks ago.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

This was really good.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: August 30, 2015, 09:38:49 AM »
Double Shift A/C was on point yesterday!!!!  Out of Rye again  :shakesfist: Met KCFD  :cheers:

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #2738 on: August 30, 2015, 09:39:42 AM »

It's 90% of the reason that we moved to OP.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: August 30, 2015, 10:02:08 AM »

Out of curiosity, what was the other 10%?
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: August 30, 2015, 10:18:50 AM »

Crime

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: August 30, 2015, 11:27:19 AM »

Crime
parking

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: August 30, 2015, 11:36:48 AM »
Yes kcmo has a huge parking problem

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: August 30, 2015, 11:37:21 AM »
Theres way too much of it is the problem

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: August 30, 2015, 01:00:43 PM »
Theres way too much of it is the problem

I almost always park in a way that takes 3 spaces

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2745 on: August 30, 2015, 04:13:59 PM »
Double Shift A/C was on point yesterday!!!!  Out of Rye again  :shakesfist: Met KCFD  :cheers:

I watched the first two innings of the Roy's game there Friday night before I went across the street to the concert. I had the belgian abbey. I think the saison and the rye are the only two I've yet to try.

The Big Train

« Reply #2746 on: August 30, 2015, 11:26:52 PM »
i was at legends this weekend you guys and parking was really easy, like i got front row spots

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #2747 on: August 31, 2015, 12:32:38 AM »

Proximity to friends/family.  More stuff for kids to do.  Never really fell in love with the Northland (but was willing to stay if necessary).

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: August 31, 2015, 08:19:06 AM »
I continually forget there is additional kansas city north of the river
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: August 31, 2015, 10:26:11 AM »
panj, you moving from the northland to joco is not urban flight. you just moved from one suburb to another (probably better) one.