Author Topic: Kansas City things  (Read 1007354 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas City things
« Reply #2700 on: August 27, 2015, 03:18:44 PM »
Uber is so mumped!

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: August 27, 2015, 03:21:44 PM »
Is there a timeline for phase 2?  Does phase 2 require another vote?  Is it based on the use/viability of phase 1 over a certain period of time?

Phase 2 efforts will begin once this line is going... Thought is people see it in action and are like "hey I want to take that further". It will require a vote. Prior vote for phase 2 was more extensive (went to waldo and east) and failed at the booth.... Mostly on the East side. So new phase 2 won't go east.

The not going east part is too bad.  That part of the city needs something like this.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: August 27, 2015, 03:24:05 PM »
Is there a timeline for phase 2?  Does phase 2 require another vote?  Is it based on the use/viability of phase 1 over a certain period of time?

Phase 2 efforts will begin once this line is going... Thought is people see it in action and are like "hey I want to take that further". It will require a vote. Prior vote for phase 2 was more extensive (went to waldo and east) and failed at the booth.... Mostly on the East side. So new phase 2 won't go east.

The not going east part is too bad.  That part of the city needs something like this.

Agreed... They had their shot.... They voted it down.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: August 27, 2015, 03:30:23 PM »
didn't google have to try like 3 times to get people on the east side to sign up for completely free internet?  :frown:

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: August 27, 2015, 03:35:18 PM »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: August 27, 2015, 03:46:35 PM »

why?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: August 27, 2015, 04:03:28 PM »

why?

Access to jobs.  Back when all the voting for this was going down, local radio did a few stats on jobs in the area immediately east of downtown and tied it into a study they were discussing on low property value areas in downtown areas and how they were effected by free public trans.  It was a huge effect in increase of jobs, decrease in crime, and all kinds of other beneficial stuff.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: August 27, 2015, 04:30:41 PM »

why?

Access to jobs.  Back when all the voting for this was going down, local radio did a few stats on jobs in the area immediately east of downtown and tied it into a study they were discussing on low property value areas in downtown areas and how they were effected by free public trans.  It was a huge effect in increase of jobs, decrease in crime, and all kinds of other beneficial stuff.

Our (KCMO's) current public transportation infrastructure offers a much better solution for the "problem" that you're describing

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: August 27, 2015, 04:34:23 PM »
there is not enough density in east KCMO for a streetcar route to be feasible

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: August 27, 2015, 04:37:31 PM »
Even Charlotte has a (tiny) real train system. I wish KC could be as good as freaking Charlotte
:adios:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: August 27, 2015, 04:41:40 PM »

why?

Our (KCMO's) current public transportation infrastructure offers a much better solution for the "problem" that you're describing

Yeah, I understand we have busses.  Relaying the study they discussed regarding free transportation.  I am sure there are a plethora of other issues that the free train won't resolve, but the study was specific to free transport.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: August 27, 2015, 05:07:40 PM »
I don't necessarily agree totally with this article but it has good points regarding streetcars outside of their transit benefits....for KC, I think transit will be improved as the streetcar expands.

https://nextcity.org/features/view/why-streetcars-arent-about-transit

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: August 27, 2015, 07:05:20 PM »

why?

Yeah, I understand we have busses.  Relaying the study they discussed regarding free transportation.  I am sure there are a plethora of other issues that the free train won't resolve, but the study was specific to free transport.
income dependent free public transport on our existing infrastructure would cost the city nothing.  expanding the street car throughout east jackson county would cost +half a billion.

so anyway, ya your first comment was pretty ill conceived as i'm sure you'll agree

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: August 27, 2015, 07:43:53 PM »

why?

income dependent free public transport on our existing infrastructure would cost the city nothing.  expanding the street car throughout east jackson county would cost +half a billion.

so anyway, ya your first comment was pretty ill conceived as i'm sure you'll agree

Free is what I mean when saying "needs something like this", but whatever.  So, if it is something they can change with the current system,  yes, they should do that instead.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: August 27, 2015, 07:48:21 PM »
My bet is the phase 2 extensions won't be free anyways.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2715 on: August 27, 2015, 07:53:48 PM »
i hope it doesn't pass but if it does i'm looking forward to bitching about it
there are a lot of things KCMO needs- road - sidewalk - bridge repair, accredited schools, increased service budgets for police and fire, sewers that meet EPA guidelines, i could go on for days.  we don't need a streetcar.  it'd be a cool toy, but that's about it in this objective poster's perspective.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: August 27, 2015, 08:03:42 PM »
Streetcar is a gateway to all those other luxuries.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: August 27, 2015, 08:25:39 PM »
i hope it doesn't pass but if it does i'm looking forward to bitching about it
I like to see you happy 'clams.

there are a lot of things KCMO needs- road - sidewalk - bridge repair
Sly has already dedicated funds to this in his first term and another vote is coming
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/the-buzz/article12617243.html

accredited schools
Don't think the school's are a funding problem but provisional accreditation has been obtained
http://www.kcpublicschools.org/accreditation

increased service budgets for police and fire
Not sure what the right number is here but KCMO increased their budget for 2015
http://www.kansascity.com/news/government-politics/article16412783.html

sewers that meet EPA guidelines
Already a few years (5th year?) into the 25 year plan to fix this
https://www.kcwaterservices.org/overflow-control-program/

i could go on for days.
I'm game!

we don't need a streetcar.  it'd be a cool toy, but that's about it in this objective poster's perspective.
"Need"?  Yeah I mean it's not the same level as hospitals and schools and water supply....it's way more a quality of life thing....like sports, arts, etc....and it is shown to rebuild city cores in other cities which we definitely still need assistance here.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: August 27, 2015, 08:31:26 PM »
here's the deal- you didn't refute anything i said, in your post.  i don't care that you support the stupid thing.  enjoy it.  i won't.
the streetcar will only negatively impact my quality of life and it can suck it.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: August 27, 2015, 08:37:48 PM »
here's the deal- you didn't refute anything i said, in your post.  i don't care that you support the stupid thing.  enjoy it.  i won't.
the streetcar will only negatively impact my quality of life and it can suck it.

Many KCMO residents blather on about streets, schools, sewers and don't realize the city's activity on those topics....which is why I provided the links showing they aren't ignoring those items, rather actively addressing them...doesn't that cover your concern about "there are a lot of things KCMO needs"? 

I do support the stupid thing but wouldn't be that into it if the city wasn't address basic needs as well.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: August 27, 2015, 08:51:51 PM »
so your point is that since they're throwing a fraction of what's needed at the things that keep the city afloat, let's spend an undefined amount on something we don't need.

i don't want to debate the merits of the project because there's really nothing to debate.  just enjoy the 2 miles man. soak it in.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: August 27, 2015, 08:57:03 PM »
so your point is that since they're throwing a fraction of what's needed at the things that keep the city afloat, let's spend an undefined amount on something we don't need.

i don't want to debate the merits of the project because there's really nothing to debate.  just enjoy the 2 miles man. soak it in.

Yeah I don't care to debate the streetcar at this point as what is done is done and there isn't a defined additional project yet.  I guess I missed that what is being spent on those other items is only a fraction of what is needed.  Where is that info?

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: August 27, 2015, 09:27:21 PM »
#teamclams

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: August 27, 2015, 09:48:27 PM »

Yeah I don't care to debate the streetcar at this point as what is done is done and there isn't a defined additional project yet.  I guess I missed that what is being spent on those other items is only a fraction of what is needed.  Where is that info?
if you're not aware, KCMO is currently in an either/or situation
any amount we spend on our city's basic needs isn't enough.  do I have a link that details how much it will cost you and I before our schools aren't a national embarrassment? no I don't.  spend until they're fixed and then spend more.  I can safely say that they have a far greater negative impact to our city's bottom line than the street car ever will have a positive one.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: August 27, 2015, 11:01:46 PM »
Great job guys