Author Topic: Kansas City things  (Read 983531 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas City things
« Reply #1050 on: July 02, 2014, 11:02:21 AM »
Culture is such an interesting concept. Like do people in a particularly homogeneous area of India not have culture, similar to the Johnson Countians? Does a place only have culture if it is a place where several cultures intersect? Does it require indie bands to play concerts in small bars?

What does it mean to you? In the context I used it, I was just referring to any and everything interesting and unique.

We moved in the little corridor between 119th and 135th and Metcalf and Nall.

I have yet to find anything that's not within one mile of my house. 

culture?

lol at anyone who doesn't believe there can be a sense of culture in the suburbs. Great people who care about each other (for the most part) create a sense of community and that is culture, IMO. No, there's not grafiti on the sides of buildings and you're not going to have a pointless streetcar to nowhere built on the backs of people who don't want or need it in the next few years, but there's nothing wrong with Johnson County. I'm not sure I could live in the farthest reaching suburbs myself, but the 119-135 corridor that was described is hardly an exterior suburb at this point.

Sure, I prefer the character of PV's nicer parts and Old Leawood, but I've come to respect the aforementioned 119-135/Nall-Metcalf area for the people, convenience, and quality of life. That said, I work downtown and it'll take quite the pressure from a filly to pull me that far south. But...it's pretty hard to argue that SME district (Westwood, Fairway, PV, and Old Leawood) isn't more desirable than farther south unless you work in OP/Olathe (Olathe... :Yuck:)

I'm not going to live my much of my adult life in mid- or down-town. FWIW, I've lived between the plaza and WP for a year+ and am moving to the valentine neighborhood this month. Just  don't see it being practical for much longer.

How on Earth can you look down on Olathe while saying 119th-135th and Nall is acceptable

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: July 02, 2014, 11:10:02 AM »
ah yes, the character of PV's nicer parts, where, by design, every house looks exactly like the house built next to it.  let's hit the blue moose!

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline signature move

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: July 02, 2014, 11:13:41 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=250156975183103

:sdeek: :lol:

is that real? the jump cut makes the sled taking flight look like an old monty python skit where someone jumping out a window became an obvious ragdoll dummy in the next shot.

i mean. . . crap.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: July 02, 2014, 11:19:33 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=250156975183103

:sdeek: :lol:

is that real? the jump cut makes the sled taking flight look like an old monty python skit where someone jumping out a window became an obvious ragdoll dummy in the next shot.

i mean. . . crap.
Oh yeah.. it's real!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: July 02, 2014, 11:24:00 AM »
i think we all agree now that if you don't love where you live then get the hell out.  good talk guys.  i feel better.

No one, and I mean NO ONE, walks the walk on "stay near by where you live and don't spend time in parts of the town you don't love" better than Clams.  No one.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: July 02, 2014, 11:35:45 AM »
ah yes, the character of PV's nicer parts, where, by design, every house looks exactly like the house built next to it.  let's hit the blue moose!

i guess the only difference is loads of huge trees everywhere provide some character, and cape cods are more charming than whatever OP is filled with

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: July 02, 2014, 12:21:31 PM »

i guess the only difference is loads of huge trees everywhere provide some character, and cape cods are more charming than whatever OP is filled with

On the one hand, there are about 4 different house blueprints used throughout PV north of 75th street (sometimes flipped or spun around, tho!). On the other hand, because they were built 60+ years ago, decades of remodeling, landscaping, and the aforementioned trees have lent some character to the neighborhoods.

So maybe in 50 years 119/135 will escape some of the blandness, too. Although they already have a Blue Moose, so rough start.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 12:30:52 PM by slimz »

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #1057 on: July 02, 2014, 12:34:28 PM »

Trees!

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: July 02, 2014, 12:34:50 PM »
i think we all agree now that if you don't love where you live then get the hell out.  good talk guys.  i feel better.

No one, and I mean NO ONE, walks the walk on "stay near by where you live and don't spend time in parts of the town you don't love" better than Clams.  No one.

but the reality is that i spend the large majority of my time in the hell that is the 119th/South OP corridor.  in fact, i can tell you, in detail, every design change made to the honda odyssey over the past decade.  problems with your golden lab?  i'll diagnose them.  having trouble picking out just the right shade of taupe to paint your house this summer?  my eye can distinguish over 800,000 shades of taupe.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: July 02, 2014, 12:40:43 PM »

but the reality is that i spend the large majority of my time in the hell that is the 119th/South OP corridor.  in fact, i can tell you, in detail, every design change made to the honda odyssey over the past decade.  problems with your golden lab?  i'll diagnose them.  having trouble picking out just the right shade of taupe to paint your house this summer?  my eye can distinguish over 800,000 shades of taupe.

Any experience with divorce and extra marital affairs and boob jobs?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: July 02, 2014, 12:43:04 PM »

people move to johnson county to avoid all that stuff.  it's a safe haven where only good things grow (assuming your HOA allows you to grow things).

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: July 02, 2014, 12:43:47 PM »
Last summer I was getting a tux caddy corner from the Oklahoma Joe's on 119th and whatever. I didn't want to sit at the tux place so I went to Oklahoma Joe's. Crossing the street and using the sidewalk was a hilarious experience.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: July 02, 2014, 12:46:23 PM »

people move to johnson county to avoid all that stuff.  it's a safe haven where only good things grow (assuming your HOA allows you to grow things).

Pfft, not in that 119th/135th Metcalf corridor.  People slamming their neighbors all over the place.  Then they get divorced and the first thing little miss tan Lexus SUV does is buy some boobs.

Offline SPEmaw

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: July 02, 2014, 12:47:35 PM »

On the one hand, there are about 4 different house blueprints used throughout PV north of 75th street (sometimes flipped or spun around, tho!). On the other hand, because they were built 60+ years ago, decades of remodeling, landscaping, and the aforementioned trees have lent some character to the neighborhoods.

So maybe in 50 years 119/135 will escape some of the blandness, too. Although they already have a Blue Moose, so rough start.

I was talking about the nice parts of PV and Old Leawood. Around 71st surrouding IHCC and toward St. Line. Nall to State Line between high 70s and state line. Old leawood basically Nall to St. Line from Somerset to ~100th. Old leawood and esp. the Lee Blbd is a wonderful area. Some parts of PV are very bland and full of ranches - specifically the area between St. Line/Mision and 75th/79th. 
Please don't ban me, Mr. Dave.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: July 02, 2014, 12:48:09 PM »
That sounds awful, emo.  Ts and Ps on your marriage. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: July 02, 2014, 12:48:38 PM »

Pfft, not in that 119th/135th Metcalf corridor.  People slamming their neighbors all over the place.  Then they get divorced and the first thing little miss tan Lexus SUV does is buy some boobs.

sorry but that's not what i was told.  everyone told me that it's a wonderful place to raise a family.  what you described sounds like jackson county, i bet you're just mixed up.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: July 02, 2014, 12:49:12 PM »
this bbs conversation is very much a kansas city thing

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: July 02, 2014, 12:50:19 PM »
are all nick and jakes swingers hangouts or just the 135th one?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: July 02, 2014, 12:51:21 PM »

sorry but that's not what i was told.  everyone told me that it's a wonderful place to raise a family.  what you described sounds like jackson county, i bet you're just mixed up.

They're all KU fans anyway. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: July 02, 2014, 12:55:06 PM »
are all nick and jakes swingers hangouts or just the 135th one?

we'll find out tonight, got a new one on main street.  booyah. can't wait to wear my ironed tapout shirt over there and see what the pickins look like.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: July 02, 2014, 12:56:45 PM »
Do divorcée ladies love Ryan Stiles?  My sources say you bet your sweet ass they do. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: July 02, 2014, 01:31:29 PM »
Last summer I was getting a tux caddy corner from the Oklahoma Joe's on 119th and whatever. I didn't want to sit at the tux place so I went to Oklahoma Joe's. Crossing the street and using the sidewalk was a hilarious experience.

Doing so is a personal affront to all those Honda drivers 'Clams mentioned.  They rough ridin' hate ppl that have the audacity to walk. 

I mean, get a god damn car already!

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: July 02, 2014, 01:34:21 PM »

Doing so is a personal affront to all those Honda drivers 'Clams mentioned.  They rough ridin' hate ppl that have the audacity to walk. 

I mean, get a god damn car already!

It's too damn dangerous to walk.  The JoCo doesn't look for pedestrians. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: July 02, 2014, 01:38:09 PM »
It is pretty wild given the previous stories about making 8 stops all within one mile of travel. 

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: July 02, 2014, 01:42:38 PM »
I'm just amazed at the SIZE of the intersections. Like, 119th and Metcalf is INSANE.