Author Topic: Kansas City things  (Read 983295 times)

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas City things
« Reply #1025 on: July 01, 2014, 11:53:15 AM »
Sometimes people bitch about things because they are just huge pussies.  It's not really about the thing.  Something to think about here. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: July 01, 2014, 11:53:33 AM »
what I don't get is people living in a town they don't want to live in. decide where you want to be and then make it happen. in terms of easy to hard, that is like second grade type crap.

I could understand living in a town you don't want to if you have a job you really like.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: July 01, 2014, 11:54:11 AM »
what I don't get is people living in a town they don't want to live in. decide where you want to be and then make it happen. in terms of easy to hard, that is like second grade type crap.

I could understand living in a town you don't want to if you have a job you really like.

2nd grade idiot outed.  Next.
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #1028 on: July 01, 2014, 11:57:11 AM »
i love listening to people talk about how cultured they are, i guess i'm cultured like that.

I really hated to use that word, but I couldn't think of any other single word that encompassed anything interesting.

No, it's an appropriate word.  It's a pretty bland area.

Basically, it's swapping culture for convenience.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: July 01, 2014, 11:58:09 AM »
Every day there are people moving from Chicago to Houston because of better job opportunities or because they like the city better. But guess what, every day there are people moving Houston to Chicago because of better job opportunities or because they like the city better.
You figure out the moral of the story.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #1030 on: July 01, 2014, 12:03:01 PM »
To be honest, would I rather live in San Diego or Seattle?  Sure.  I've been to both, loved them, and could see myself really enjoying them.  I haven't been to Portland, but I'm guessing I'd probably dig it, too.

That said, I am able to afford a certain type of lifestyle living in KC that I couldn't have if I lived in any of those other places, plus, I'm around lifelong friends, family, and other things that I care about (i.e. KSU).

If I were to give an aggregate score on all facets of my life (everything Pete said), KC probably wins, therefore, I stay.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: July 01, 2014, 12:04:59 PM »

not when you've already come out as saying that the town is just mediocre for jobs and opportunities. also, the job is like part of the town. like you only have that great job because you live in that town or whatever. so just stfu.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: July 01, 2014, 12:17:44 PM »
I'm confused

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: July 01, 2014, 12:18:48 PM »
To be honest, would I rather live in San Diego or Seattle?  Sure.  I've been to both, loved them, and could see myself really enjoying them.  I haven't been to Portland, but I'm guessing I'd probably dig it, too.

That said, I am able to afford a certain type of lifestyle living in KC that I couldn't have if I lived in any of those other places, plus, I'm around lifelong friends, family, and other things that I care about (i.e. KSU).

If I were to give an aggregate score on all facets of my life (everything Pete said), KC probably wins, therefore, I stay.

well said, 'jandrum

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: July 01, 2014, 12:22:45 PM »
I'm confused

don't worry about it, he's talking to me anyway

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: July 01, 2014, 02:20:24 PM »

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: July 01, 2014, 06:10:32 PM »
We moved in the little corridor between 119th and 135th and Metcalf and Nall.

I have yet to find anything that's not within one mile of my house.  My wife planned a shopping trip with about eight stops in it last weekend, and they were all within a mile of our house.

Christ, there's a Varney's on 135th and Nall in Prairie Fire.

Basically, I'm saying that I now understand why everyone who moves to JoCo stays there.  It's a nice place to live when you get old and lazy.

That literally sounds like hell.  8 stops, within a mile....you drove, right?   :Yuck: But yeah I mean you are right, lots of people love living close to a target/etc.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile

Offline SPEmaw

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: July 02, 2014, 07:28:05 AM »
I can't imagine what anyone does with their life past 95th st. Woof!

stops pretending they are 22. proposes to their live-in gf. gets married. has kids. moves to the area that best accomodates their kids schooling and academic/athletic endeavors. and other adult crap like that. :dunno:
I'm just gE'ing here, bud. I'm sure the south accomodates to married ppl with children. I'm just a downtown snob now.  :ohno:

me too  :D

(planning on possibly moving to mid-town or the river market fairly soon)

J-Dub, I don't recall us talking about work much because we were too busy talking 'cats and other sports but my unsolicited friendly advice would be to avoid living downtown or the market unless you work there.
Please don't ban me, Mr. Dave.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: July 02, 2014, 07:38:46 AM »
Culture is such an interesting concept. Like do people in a particularly homogeneous area of India not have culture, similar to the Johnson Countians? Does a place only have culture if it is a place where several cultures intersect? Does it require indie bands to play concerts in small bars?
:adios:

Offline SPEmaw

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: July 02, 2014, 07:50:24 AM »
We moved in the little corridor between 119th and 135th and Metcalf and Nall.

I have yet to find anything that's not within one mile of my house. 

culture?

lol at anyone who doesn't believe there can be a sense of culture in the suburbs. Great people who care about each other (for the most part) create a sense of community and that is culture, IMO. No, there's not grafiti on the sides of buildings and you're not going to have a pointless streetcar to nowhere built on the backs of people who don't want or need it in the next few years, but there's nothing wrong with Johnson County. I'm not sure I could live in the farthest reaching suburbs myself, but the 119-135 corridor that was described is hardly an exterior suburb at this point.

Sure, I prefer the character of PV's nicer parts and Old Leawood, but I've come to respect the aforementioned 119-135/Nall-Metcalf area for the people, convenience, and quality of life. That said, I work downtown and it'll take quite the pressure from a filly to pull me that far south. But...it's pretty hard to argue that SME district (Westwood, Fairway, PV, and Old Leawood) isn't more desirable than farther south unless you work in OP/Olathe (Olathe... :Yuck:)

I'm not going to live my much of my adult life in mid- or down-town. FWIW, I've lived between the plaza and WP for a year+ and am moving to the valentine neighborhood this month. Just  don't see it being practical for much longer.

Offline SPEmaw

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: July 02, 2014, 07:52:18 AM »

:thumbsup: this guy!

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: July 02, 2014, 07:53:59 AM »
I'm pretty sure micat means diverse culture as opposed to homogeneous culture guys.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: July 02, 2014, 08:03:51 AM »
where I live will fight any of the places any of you live in an old fashioned homogeneous-off btw. the suburb/farm fringe zone of omaha wins against any and all takers.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: July 02, 2014, 08:26:01 AM »
where I live will fight any of the places any of you live in an old fashioned homogeneous-off btw. the suburb/farm fringe zone of omaha wins against any and all takers.

Where I live would put up a good fight in a homogeneous-off sd.  Maybe even take the belt from where you live.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: July 02, 2014, 08:27:50 AM »
in the battle of the dave's, tdaver's got a damn strong argument

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: July 02, 2014, 08:29:38 AM »
Any of the Scandinavian countries are way more homogeneous than Johnson County, FWIW.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: July 02, 2014, 08:49:25 AM »
Any of the Scandinavian countries are way more homogeneous than Johnson County, FWIW.

so on the diversity scale, Johnson > Johansson

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: July 02, 2014, 09:13:21 AM »
i think we all agree now that if you don't love where you live then get the hell out.  good talk guys.  i feel better.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: July 02, 2014, 09:30:56 AM »

i think we all agree now that if you don't love where you live then get the hell out.  good talk guys.  i feel better.
Nailed it.

Gonna win 'em all!