Author Topic: The Scott Pruitt "If the models are all wrong" thread  (Read 429309 times)

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: If the models are all wrong
« Reply #300 on: August 13, 2013, 09:29:26 PM »
lulz http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-schiffman/north-carolina-legislature-sea-level-rising_b_1567213.html

Stop reading the Huff Post you moron
If you have the law on your side, pound the law. 
If you have the facts on your side, pound the facts.
If you have neither on your side pound the table. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #301 on: August 13, 2013, 09:33:54 PM »
lulz http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-schiffman/north-carolina-legislature-sea-level-rising_b_1567213.html

Stop reading the Huff Post you moron
If you have the law on your side, pound the law. 
If you have the facts on your side, pound the facts.
If you have neither on your side pound the table.

Interesting if true, bizzaro brad
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: Re: If the models are all wrong
« Reply #302 on: August 14, 2013, 12:18:30 AM »
This abstract of a recent scientific study seems a much more plausible explanation of global temperature increase than the short term reasoning of CO2 emissions.

Abstract

Just curious as to what your background is that causes you to believe this is a more plausible explanation? Not saying it is or it isn't.  I'm a pretty scientific minded person, but I don't feel like, nor do I suspect anyone else on this blog is, I am qualified enough to make educated comments on the complicated science at play here. As such, it really intrigues me when people take such strong stands on such issues.

For a while, human induced CO2 looked like a slam dunk as the direct cause of climate change. As science has progressed, some holes, or at least major questions have been exposed. That is how it is supposed to work 99% of the time.

I don't see any reason to suspect the moon tide theory to be any different, and it blows my mind how many people seem to think they are some kind of climate change expert because they took an atmospheric chemistry class once, or read up on some selective summaries of scientific papers online.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

:adios:

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
Re: Re: If the models are all wrong
« Reply #303 on: August 14, 2013, 12:54:16 AM »
This abstract of a recent scientific study seems a much more plausible explanation of global temperature increase than the short term reasoning of CO2 emissions.

Abstract

Just curious as to what your background is that causes you to believe this is a more plausible explanation? Not saying it is or it isn't.  I'm a pretty scientific minded person, but I don't feel like, nor do I suspect anyone else on this blog is, I am qualified enough to make educated comments on the complicated science at play here. As such, it really intrigues me when people take such strong stands on such issues.

For a while, human induced CO2 looked like a slam dunk as the direct cause of climate change. As science has progressed, some holes, or at least major questions have been exposed. That is how it is supposed to work 99% of the time.

I don't see any reason to suspect the moon tide theory to be any different, and it blows my mind how many people seem to think they are some kind of climate change expert because they took an atmospheric chemistry class once, or read up on some selective summaries of scientific papers online.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Your right. We'll look back on this time and laugh at ourselves for thinking we were so narcissistic to believe we could control the climate. Hopefully we won't have destroyed the world economy trying to change it.

Sun, moon, and ocean currents run the climate. Everything else just follows along. We are pretty insignificant for now, but if our population growth doesn't slow down, the earth isn't going to sustain us. This is the real issue of this century, not a little solar cycle.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 14, 2013, 10:25:48 AM »
Warmer today than yesterday.   :ohno:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 14, 2013, 11:26:42 AM »
A real climate issue is growing larger.   That is the dead zone in the Gulf, caused by nutrient run off.

Land use is a far, far, far bigger issue that "global warming".    Land use has significant impact on climate challanges often pinned solely to AGW by Warmists.   A major problem.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
If the models are all wrong
« Reply #306 on: August 14, 2013, 11:31:16 AM »
A real climate issue is growing larger.   That is the dead zone in the Gulf, caused by nutrient run off.

Land use is a far, far, far bigger issue that "global warming".    Land use has significant impact on climate challanges often pinned solely to AGW by Warmists.   A major problem.

A lot of deniers are in the anti-abortion, be fruitful and multiply crowd.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 14, 2013, 11:36:34 AM »

A lot of deniers are in the anti-abortion, be fruitful and multiply crowd.

Okay

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 14, 2013, 11:41:15 AM »
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/indepth/2013-08/13/c_132627590.htm

BEIJING, Aug. 13 (Xinhua) -- The sweltering summer of 2013 is going on record as the hottest summer in China since 1961.

According to a Monday microblog post by the National Meteorological Center (NMC), temperatures have reached or exceeded 35 degrees Celsius for an average of 25.3 days in eight provinces and municipalities since July 1, marking the greatest number of hot days recorded during the period since 1961.

Extreme heat has resulted in at least 40 deaths in south China, according to local government reports. Over ten people died from heatstroke in Shanghai during the period.

:popcorn:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 14, 2013, 12:11:20 PM »
Since 1961.  :dunno:

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 14, 2013, 12:24:32 PM »
Since 1961.  :dunno:

Makes you wonder what we did to cause the heat in '61.  :runaway:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 14, 2013, 12:34:04 PM »
Warmist Logic:  Weather is Not Climate:  Unless it fits our agenda

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 14, 2013, 01:06:19 PM »
Would a measured, significant increase in global surface temperature since, let's say, the Industrial Revolution, be a sign that perhaps the planet is warming?  A yes or no answer will suffice. 

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 14, 2013, 01:09:42 PM »
Would a measured, significant increase in global surface temperature since, let's say, the Industrial Revolution, be a sign that perhaps the planet is warming and that it's civilized man's fault?  A yes or no answer will suffice.

No.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 14, 2013, 02:10:33 PM »
Would a measured, significant increase in global surface temperature since, let's say, the Industrial Revolution, be a sign that perhaps the planet is warming?  A yes or no answer will suffice.

you would need to post a graph with the values, then I will post another graph that shows how ridiculously minute your graph is when compared with long term values.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: August 14, 2013, 03:09:30 PM »
I know it doesn't fit the warmist agenda, but there's a very large group of scientist who say we're still warming from the last ice age.

Remember, the alarmist scientists (some of whom are still around) said we were most assuredly headed to another ICE AGE back in the 1970's, cover story on many major magazines.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 14, 2013, 03:44:13 PM »
I know it doesn't fit the warmist agenda, but there's a very large group of scientist who say we're still warming from the last ice age.

Remember, the alarmist scientists (some of whom are still around) said we were most assuredly headed to another ICE AGE back in the 1970's, cover story on many major magazines.

Whew! we averted that tragedy by burning shitloads of coal rather than sprinkling it all over the ice caps.

Offline husserl

• Fan
    • View Profile

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 14, 2013, 04:53:42 PM »
http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/2008BAMS2370.1

Who said anything about there being a consensus on the subject, but it's absolute fact that some so called "leading" climate (and related) scientists of the time were saying that the earth was headed for another ice age, and could very well be.   

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 14, 2013, 05:37:47 PM »

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 15, 2013, 07:14:28 AM »
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/indepth/2013-08/13/c_132627590.htm

BEIJING, Aug. 13 (Xinhua) -- The sweltering summer of 2013 is going on record as the hottest summer in China since 1961.

According to a Monday microblog post by the National Meteorological Center (NMC), temperatures have reached or exceeded 35 degrees Celsius for an average of 25.3 days in eight provinces and municipalities since July 1, marking the greatest number of hot days recorded during the period since 1961.

Extreme heat has resulted in at least 40 deaths in south China, according to local government reports. Over ten people died from heatstroke in Shanghai during the period.

:popcorn:

Cool anecdote bro, check this one out

WICHITA. AUGUST 2013 (Heinballz) The summer of 2013 is going on record as the coolest summer in Kansas since a long time ago.

According to several personal accounts of native Ta towners, the summer of 2013 will go down as the mildest summer in recent history, only exceeding 100 degrees less than half a dozen times.

Weather forecaster Tanner Swift remarks: "Don't like the weather in Kansas? Wait five minutes."  LOL Tanner, LOL indeed.

Extreme mildness of temperatures has resulted in countless annoying exchanges of pleasantries by many co-workers; such as: "how about this weather?"  Or "Suppose we're going to have a summer this year?" Or "I'm walking the wrong way, I should be golfing today!" Or the more recent: "feels like football season"

Awesome news!  China should be more like us!  We fixed global warming!

Good is better than Evil because it's nicer.

Offline Jabeez

• Combo-Fan
  • #Currie4USPrez
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 15, 2013, 08:14:22 AM »
Ironically, this could be used as a reason we should be worried, right?  If we've changed the climate that much since 1977 and all!  :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:

Who said anything about there being a consensus on the subject, but it's absolute fact that some so called "leading" climate (and related) scientists of the time were saying that the earth was headed for another ice age, and could very well be.

Offline husserl

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 15, 2013, 09:18:34 AM »

The lit review I linked to turned up seven cooling papers.  Seven.  7. 

To me this reads like you were implying that there was a paradigm shift in the alarmist scientific community, and that agw might just be the latest alarmist fad.  That would be false, but I can understand why you would have posted it. 

Were you just trying to say that there was a minority position that received a disproportionate amount of media attention but was quickly discredited and ignored by the scientific community?  That would be true, but I can't understand why you would have posted it.   

I  mean, maybe someone could draw a parallel between the 70's coolers and today's deniers, but that would be a weird thing for sonofdaxjones to do. 

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 15, 2013, 10:31:18 AM »
Wondering why methane is never brought up by alarmist.  Wouldn't the world be better if we were all vegan?
Good is better than Evil because it's nicer.