Author Topic: The Scott Pruitt "If the models are all wrong" thread  (Read 429274 times)

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
Re: If the models are all wrong
« Reply #650 on: May 07, 2014, 03:43:45 PM »
If we replaced the corporate tax with a carbon tax, would conservatives support it?

Offline illBisonYourdele

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: May 07, 2014, 03:44:29 PM »
I see both sides to the argument but, by far, the strongest one is that the Bible says we should not allow environmentalism to turn into idolatry.  I was going to build a golden scientist for my family to worship.

:cheers:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 07, 2014, 03:47:02 PM »
If we replaced the corporate tax with a carbon tax, would conservatives support it?

Can we tax China? 

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: May 07, 2014, 04:02:05 PM »
We're already mumped at this point so it really doesn't even matter anymore.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #656 on: May 07, 2014, 04:06:51 PM »

omg :lol: omg

I know right, it wouldn't scare anybody.
Do you even know what you are posting?  I mean global warming debate aside, you should know what you are posting.  It could be 100% fact that global warming is 100% a huge hoax, but posting that "plot" makes you look like a rough ridin' imbecile.

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #657 on: May 07, 2014, 04:28:45 PM »
So wait.  You mean to tell me all this hubbub over global warming is about a 1 degree Celsius increase in the past 200 plus years?  GTFOOH.

:buh-bye:

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: May 07, 2014, 04:35:31 PM »

Do you even know what you are posting?  I mean global warming debate aside, you should know what you are posting.  It could be 100% fact that global warming is 100% a huge hoax, but posting that "plot" makes you look like a rough ridin' imbecile.

I know exactly what it is. It's a simple chart plotting temperature (Celsius) over the span of 157 years. I only posted it to show charts can be manipulated to your advantage depending on the desired outcome and intended audience.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #659 on: May 07, 2014, 04:47:29 PM »

I know exactly what it is. It's a simple chart plotting temperature (Celsius) over the span of 157 years. I only posted it to show charts can be manipulated to your advantage depending on the desired outcome and intended audience.
:lol: ok :lol:

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: May 07, 2014, 04:48:57 PM »

Can we tax China?

I know you're being facetious, but...

We already tax China in the form of tariffs.  In fact, China has invested so much more than the US into solar technology that the US Commerce Department decided to place tariffs on Chinese solar panels in 2013.  China is dominating solar panel production, and now the US is paying for it.  Furthermore, China has signed the Kyoto Protocol and is working with the EU on an economic agreement that would increase China's environmental standards. 

Meanwhile, US politicians debate the reality of climate change.

:facepalm:

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #661 on: May 07, 2014, 04:53:08 PM »
I think there are a lot of us out there that perhaps don't believe 100% in man made climate change, but are willing to take action anyway (sometimes because it's for a greater economic good).  But I've never heard anyone put forth a solid plan of how to get other countries with whom we compete economically to take identical actions so that we are not even further disadvantaged.

Well you should, because it's 100% true.

You should probably tell all the climate scientists that, so they can stop spending so much time trying to prove it.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: May 07, 2014, 04:58:44 PM »
Good to see all the It's statistically irrelevant! snobs from the bball board coming over to the pit to opine that slight deviations from average are "anomalies".  Real critical thinking going on in the climate political dogma debate.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: May 07, 2014, 05:10:23 PM »
there are people in this country who trust NASA's ability to put a rover on another planet, but not to read and chart temperature data.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: May 07, 2014, 05:14:52 PM »
there are people in this country who trust NASA's ability to put a rover on another planet, but not to read and chart temperature data.

There are people in this country who want to tax smoke based on a scientific theory that says more smoke has an immeasurable effect on temperature.  Not reduce the smoke, just tax it. 

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: May 07, 2014, 06:38:29 PM »
interesting lack of economic understanding as well.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: May 07, 2014, 08:28:57 PM »
interesting lack of economic understanding as well.

:lol: 

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: May 07, 2014, 11:44:49 PM »
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: May 08, 2014, 10:44:11 AM »
Beems, it's no different than your graph, just a shorter period of time. If you were to plot actual average temperatures from 1850 to now, It would be a straight horizontal line. Anomaly charts are meant to be deceiving to the average person.

No, it wouldn't.  The "anomalies" are showing the deviation from historical average temperatures to actual temperatures.  You are a complete fool if you really believe that the industrial age has had no impact on our climate.

I'm not saying it has had no affect, I just don't subscribe to the hysteria that liberals are pushing to raise taxes and redistribute wealth. I'm all for reducing emissions over time as the technology permits, but to push technology that isn't ready is foolish and extremely expensive for very little gain.

Also, until China, India, and the other developing countries are held to the same standard as the US and Europe, anything we do is almost negligible on the global scale. The Government needs incentives for private industry to develop cleaner industrial processes with tax incentives rather than punitive fines and regulations. Those simply kill manufacturing in this country and push them to countries that have no clean air standard.   

Did you ever take a statistics course?  The mean is an average for a set of different data points.  Let's use ppg as an example.  If I average 15 ppg, the mean could be plotted as a straight line, but that doesn't mean I scored 15 points every night. Some nights I'll score 8 and some nights I'll score 20.  If I had a slow start to the season and started out averaging 10 ppg, that means the average increased significantly towards the end of the season.  Average global temperature is the same way.  You are seeing higher deviations from the mean over the past 100+ years or so.  The Earth is getting warmer.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 12:29:11 PM by OregonSmock »

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: May 08, 2014, 11:02:41 AM »
I find this argument rather dumb unless someone can produce some data from the entire history of our planet  :whistle1:

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: May 08, 2014, 11:52:32 AM »
Beems, it's no different than your graph, just a shorter period of time. If you were to plot actual average temperatures from 1850 to now, It would be a straight horizontal line. Anomaly charts are meant to be deceiving to the average person.

No, it wouldn't.  The "anomalies" are showing the deviation from historical average temperatures to actual temperatures.  You are a complete fool if you really believe that the industrial age has had no impact on our climate.

I'm not saying it has had no affect, I just don't subscribe to the hysteria that liberals are pushing to raise taxes and redistribute wealth. I'm all for reducing emissions over time as the technology permits, but to push technology that isn't ready is foolish and extremely expensive for very little gain.

Also, until China, India, and the other developing countries are held to the same standard as the US and Europe, anything we do is almost negligible on the global scale. The Government needs incentives for private industry to develop cleaner industrial processes with tax incentives rather than punitive fines and regulations. Those simply kill manufacturing in this country and push them to countries that have no clean air standard.   

Did you ever take a statistics course?  The mean is an average for a set of different data points.  Let's use ppg as an example.  If I average 15 ppg, the mean could be plotted as a straight line, but that doesn't mean I scored 15 points every night. Some nights I'll score 8 and some nights I'll score 20.  If I had a slow start to the season and start out averaging 10 ppg, that means the average increased over the course of the season.  Average global temperature is the same way.  You are seeing higher deviations from the mean over the past 100+ years or so.  The Earth is getting warmer.

Why is it so hard for some of you to understand the graph? It's one point on the graph for each year. The mean temp for the entire year derived by adding the maximum and minimum temperatures over a year then dividing the result by two. Elementary stuff here.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: May 08, 2014, 12:26:46 PM »
That graph is a complete piece of crap.  The scale of the y axis makes it look like there hasn't been much change, but when you're talking about temperature changes, a fraction of a degree celsius is significant.  The scale should be in fractions, not quantities of five.  Here is a better representation of global temperature changes:

« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 12:30:19 PM by OregonSmock »

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: May 08, 2014, 12:37:21 PM »
Nice deletion beems. I knew I should have quoted it ASAP.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: May 08, 2014, 12:40:45 PM »
Nice deletion beems. I knew I should have quoted it ASAP.

You're not really finding a true statistical mean when you simply divide the highest and lowest data points by two.  That's more like a median data point.  Regardless, your graph's scale is way off and doesn't give an accurate depiction of the current trend in global temperatures. 

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: May 08, 2014, 01:04:41 PM »
definitely some climate changing going on according to Beem's graph. Not enough for me to care though.