Author Topic: RIP Hibachi Hut  (Read 14165 times)

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Hibachi Hut
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2013, 11:21:47 AM »
so long is so good!

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2013, 11:22:04 AM »
fun facts about hibachi hut: no hibachis. not a hut.

You gotta hand it to aggieville chain restaurant pizza hut, they've got a much better handle on branding.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2013, 11:22:29 AM »
Keep Austin weird

Comparing the Hut to an Austin establishment is a slap in the face.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2013, 11:22:41 AM »
when did Texas Star leave  :dunno:
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2013, 11:22:47 AM »

I loved that place.  Limestone and I had a roommate who was a waiter there when we were in school, so we ate there all the time.  I will really miss it, but have only been 2-3 times in the last 10 years.

Coincidentally, the last time I was there was after fattyfest last year.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2013, 11:23:32 AM »
I've eaten at Hibachi Hut the last couple of time I've been in Manhattan, and it was pretty okay I guess, but I only get the burger, it didn't seem the same from what I recall in past trips.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2013, 11:23:47 AM »

I loved that place.  Limestone and I had a roommate who was a waiter there when we were in school, so we ate there all the time.  I will really miss it, but have only been 2-3 times in the last 10 years.

that was also the last time I was there (and 3rd overall not counting texas star side which would put me at about 6 overall).

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2013, 11:24:00 AM »
if i was the owner of hibachi hut, i would rename it "SLOB" (so long, only bigger). i would copy so long's menu, steal a few of their cooks, and then brag about occupancy size.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2013, 11:24:11 AM »
so long is so good!

Somebody could've put things in the recap thread that haven't changed, surprisingly.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2013, 11:24:21 AM »
if i was the owner of hibachi hut, i would rename it "SLOB" (so long, only bigger). i would copy so long's menu, steal a few of their cooks, and then brag about occupancy size.

:love:

EDIT: also add to the update thread that the face with loving valentine eyes isn't an emoticon anymore I guess, or that I've forgotten how to do them.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2013, 11:24:47 AM »
when did Texas Star leave  :dunno:
Texas Star?  You mean the restaurant that was in the same room as Hibachi Hut, but had a different menu, that mysteriously vanished one day?

Yep, nothing weird about that.  Par for the course as far as restaurants go.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2013, 11:25:01 AM »

that was also the last time I was there (and 3rd overall not counting texas star side which would put me at about 6 overall).

I used to get that chicken fried chicken and chicken fried steak at Texas Star pretty regularly when my folks would come in to town and buy dinner.  Was pretty good.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2013, 11:25:24 AM »

That was pretty fun.  HH should've paid gE'rs and FF'rs to keep coming back and livening up the joint.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2013, 11:27:53 AM »
Canadian guy that I know says that the very finest hydroponic in MHS could be procured from the right Hut related connections back in the day.  Like neon blue-green...so the story goes.

Offline kostakio

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2013, 11:34:01 AM »
Does skipping Hibachi Hut to go to Aggie Station, So Long, etc. help or hurt local businesses?

I salute Aggie Station et al for knocking Hibachi Hut's dick in the dirt.

If Hibachi Hut had just stuck it out for 3 more weeks, they'd likely (based on proximity and a glut of open tables) had enough cash flow influx to stick it out another year after the #FattyFest intermission dinner.

And if Fuzzy's Tacos hires pretty girls that will flirt for tips (and why wouldn't a place called Fuzzy's tacos do that), Fitz will piss on Hibachi Hut's grave.

Fuzzys is kind of like chipotle they don't have waitresses.  I actually liked the food at hibachi hut and will miss it.  I don't know that you can blame the city for it going out though.  The one thing I will say is that the lack of parking in the ville certainly hurts a place like hibachi hut and has killed retail business there.

Aggieville seems to be changing for sure.  I'm in business down there indirectly but part of me is thinking its time to get out of it.  Fitzgerald is right that the city does nothing to promote it and a lot of locals look down on it.  I can tell you with certainty that the property taxes in aggieville are crazy high and the city gives out tax abatements left and right in other parts of the city.  Aggieville is a huge revenue source with all the property taxes, sales taxes etc. but the city has just consistently taken and given zero back in the way of infrastructure improvements.

Yeah, but:

Does skipping Hibachi Hut to go to Aggie Station, So Long, etc. help or hurt local businesses?

We never skipped Hibachi Hut because of lack of parking, promotion or infrastructure (or BK).  We skipped it because there are other, better, coincidentally local options. 

Remember when independently-owned gE became a phenomenon and it was determined that maybe there was one too many K-State message boards?

I don't think anyone from out of town skips the ville for any of those reasons.  But a lot of the locals do and the city has contributed to that.  They complain about aggieville just being a place to get drunk but they had a lot to do with it becoming that.

No question hibachi failed to respond to the changing landscape in aggieville.  I guess the question is did the landscape really have to change and did it change for the better?  At the end of the day I'm fine either way, property values have never been higher in aggieville then they are right now.  I just Question if it will stay that way as aggieville gradually loses its charm and becomes just another shopping area full of chains. 

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2013, 11:41:42 AM »
No more Belly Bomb :frown:

eff it, I'm blaming the Texas Star

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2013, 11:43:03 AM »
I'll miss the place.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2013, 11:46:23 AM »
kinda forgot about this until now... had some family friends in town a couple years ago, went to hh, and ended up apologizing to them afterward because of the sub par food.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 11:49:50 AM by emawblast »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2013, 12:03:26 PM »
No question hibachi failed to respond to the changing landscape in aggieville.  I guess the question is did the landscape really have to change and did it change for the better?   

Yeah, adding better local restaurants (not Fuzzy's Taco's, the ones that people currently go to instead of Hibachi Hut) is a change for the better.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: Re: RIP Hibachi Hut
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2013, 12:04:40 PM »
No question hibachi failed to respond to the changing landscape in aggieville.  I guess the question is did the landscape really have to change and did it change for the better?   

Yeah, adding better local restaurants (not Fuzzy's Taco's, the ones that people currently go to instead of Hibachi Hut) is a change for the better.

High end pizza would be cool.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2013, 12:05:55 PM »
Aggie Station, So Long, Coco Bolos, Wahoo, Taco Lucha, Arbys are all exponentially better than Hibatchi Hut

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2013, 12:06:36 PM »
I've eaten at the Fuzzy's taco place on Wornall in KC.  Not impressed at all.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2013, 12:08:27 PM »
Aggie Station, So Long, Coco Bolos, Wahoo, Taco Lucha, Arbys are all exponentially better than Hibatchi Hut

To each his own.  I don't disagree that it went downhill after it was sold.  However, a bowl of gumbo and some corn bread on a cold day in the winter on the way home from class was one of my favorite things.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2013, 12:09:09 PM »

CHAIN RESTAURANTS!!!  :chainsaw:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: Re: RIP Hibachi Hut
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2013, 12:09:33 PM »

High end pizza would be cool.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
There's enough pizza in aggieville imo.

A quick pasta place might be kind of cool though.  Maybe a Noodles & Company type establishment.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]