Author Topic: RIP Hibachi Hut  (Read 14163 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Hibachi Hut
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2013, 09:42:29 AM »
Byebachi Hut.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: Re: RIP Hibachi Hut
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2013, 09:50:33 AM »
Oh man, Fitz is really mad his government check isn't big enough:

There are no membership dues to the ABA. The city funds us through BID funding. A fast majority of the district is locally owned.

#TeamBurnItDown had a mtg last wk and you guessed it, Burnitdown funding is bout to be cut from fitz too.  Sorry fitz.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2013, 09:55:38 AM »
Being replaced by a place named Fuzzys Tacos. Fuzzys rough ridin' tacos.

It's decent, but I won't spend one red rough ridin' cent in there...  Just like I won't go to BWW, Chipotle, or Pizza Hut in Manhattan.

Good job, townies.  You're turning the 'ville into a big Joco strip mall.
bears are fast...

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2013, 09:57:39 AM »

It's decent, but I won't spend one red rough ridin' cent in there...  Just like I won't go to BWW, Chipotle, or Pizza Hut in Manhattan.

You're really sticking it to the man here, BP.   
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2013, 09:58:39 AM »
And blocked by Fitz

Welcome to the club!  :dance:
@lopakman

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2013, 10:01:31 AM »
It's pretty hard to swallow this one considering if goEMAW.com had just sponsored this local business for a few hours it could have gone from soon to be out of business to thriving.

Take note aggieville businesses. If you want to stay afloat, challenge goEMAW to eat your food for 7 straight days. That or don't have shitty food at high prices....
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2013, 10:05:36 AM »

Watch it man, people on this site love chipotle

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2013, 10:20:06 AM »

That's not the point. I can get big box stores, pro sports, and chain restaurants in Dallas.

I come to MHK for the EMAW places, not the over processed bullshit that I can get on every corner.
bears are fast...

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2013, 10:24:47 AM »

That's not the point. I can get big box stores, pro sports, and chain restaurants in Dallas.

I come to MHK for the EMAW places, not the over processed bullshit that I can get on every corner.

But a fast majority of the places in MHK are locally owned

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2013, 10:35:55 AM »
But a fast majority of the places in MHK are locally owned

not a big deal, but it's vast.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2013, 10:40:36 AM »
Keep Austin weird
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2013, 10:43:31 AM »
i lived in manhattan for five years or so. went to hibachi hut once. it was gross. never went again. that doesn't mean i don't support local businesses. it just means i don't support local businesses with crappy food.

i went to so long saloon many times. good food, good price, good experience. kept going back.

went to ray's apple market once. paid twice as much for food that all the chain grocery stores sold. never went back. gave my business to HyVee and Wal-Mart.

went to tubby's quite a bit. but preferred buffalo wild wings.

read gopowercat from time to time. but preferred austin meek's (TOPEKA!) free coverage.

got my haircut at that aggieville barber place once. but the barber talked my face off and gave me a crappy haircut. so, i started going to great clips. they gave me slightly worse haircuts at a cheaper price and never talked to me. perfect!

i'll never understand the concept of blindly supporting local businesses when others are able to offer similar (or better products) at cheaper prices.

sorry, dusty book shelf. i ordered everything from amazon.

exactly.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2013, 10:45:20 AM »
Does skipping Hibachi Hut to go to Aggie Station, So Long, etc. help or hurt local businesses?

I salute Aggie Station et al for knocking Hibachi Hut's dick in the dirt.

If Hibachi Hut had just stuck it out for 3 more weeks, they'd likely (based on proximity and a glut of open tables) had enough cash flow influx to stick it out another year after the #FattyFest intermission dinner.

And if Fuzzy's Tacos hires pretty girls that will flirt for tips (and why wouldn't a place called Fuzzy's tacos do that), Fitz will piss on Hibachi Hut's grave.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2013, 10:52:29 AM »
It's too bad they're closing, but maybe if Hibachi Hut wasn't such a weird place they wouldn't be going out of business.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline kostakio

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2013, 11:02:19 AM »
Does skipping Hibachi Hut to go to Aggie Station, So Long, etc. help or hurt local businesses?

If Hibachi Hut had just stuck it out for 3 more weeks, they'd likely (based on proximity and a glut of open tables) had enough cash flow influx to stick it out another year after the #FattyFest intermission dinner.

And if Fuzzy's Tacos hires pretty girls that will flirt for tips (and why wouldn't a place called Fuzzy's tacos do that), Fitz will piss on Hibachi Hut's grave.

Fuzzys is kind of like chipotle they don't have waitresses.  I actually liked the food at hibachi hut and will miss it.  I don't know that you can blame the city for it going out though.  The one thing I will say is that the lack of parking in the ville certainly hurts a place like hibachi hut and has killed retail business there.

Aggieville seems to be changing for sure.  I'm in business down there indirectly but part of me is thinking its time to get out of it.  Fitzgerald is right that the city does nothing to promote it and a lot of locals look down on it.  I can tell you with certainty that the property taxes in aggieville are crazy high and the city gives out tax abatements left and right in other parts of the city.  Aggieville is a huge revenue source with all the property taxes, sales taxes etc. but the city has just consistently taken and given zero back in the way of infrastructure improvements.

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2013, 11:04:33 AM »
Hibachi Hut was great. Nothing weird about it.

However i never saw it as a place students would go. Too hard to run a business in the Ville if you're selling seafood and steak dishes for 5 times more expensive than the dollar menu at BK.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2013, 11:11:59 AM »
fitz needs to take a closer inspection of why he has been successful and why other previously successful small businesses in manhattan no longer are. he can blame it on local government, the business district, customers, chains, etc., but hibachi hut isn't blameless.

i give fitz credit for investing in his product and trying to improve it. he has a loyal customer base, which always helps, but GPC has evolved from being a print magazine and a message board to something more all encompassing. he has podcasts and videos and other multimedia content, and this content is being produced by people he hired to full-time and part-time positions - writers, photographers, videographers, and so on.

you can debate the quality of GPC's content, and many of you have. but fitz has tried to improve his product, and has invested enough into his business that a potential competitor would be foolish to try to compete with him. in short, he hasn't been complacent, and deserves credit for that.

my guess, and this is just a guess, is that hibachi hut got complacent somewhere along the way. the customer base that they've depended on for so many years might be older, or poorer, or dying, or whatever. but what has hibachi hut done to reach new, younger customers? what have they done to get students through the door?

if you run a local business in an area populated by students (enrollment is ~25k at last check) and can't find a way to reach them, you're going to struggle. students aren't loyal to unknown long-time local establishments. they're loyal to great food at cheap prices, and if you can't have both, you better have one of the two.

hibachi hut is out of business because too many students thought they had neither.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2013, 11:14:02 AM »

Fuzzys is kind of like chipotle they don't have waitresses.  I actually liked the food at hibachi hut and will miss it.  I don't know that you can blame the city for it going out though.  The one thing I will say is that the lack of parking in the ville certainly hurts a place like hibachi hut and has killed retail business there.

Aggieville seems to be changing for sure.  I'm in business down there indirectly but part of me is thinking its time to get out of it.  Fitzgerald is right that the city does nothing to promote it and a lot of locals look down on it.  I can tell you with certainty that the property taxes in aggieville are crazy high and the city gives out tax abatements left and right in other parts of the city.  Aggieville is a huge revenue source with all the property taxes, sales taxes etc. but the city has just consistently taken and given zero back in the way of infrastructure improvements.

Yeah, but:

We never skipped Hibachi Hut because of lack of parking, promotion or infrastructure (or BK).  We skipped it because there are other, better, coincidentally local options. 

Remember when independently-owned gE became a phenomenon and it was determined that maybe there was one too many K-State message boards?

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2013, 11:15:03 AM »

Yes, this.  No regular stuff everybody else has MHK locals, you must have shittier stuff nobody wants so some jagoff can enjoy his visit.   
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2013, 11:15:50 AM »
fitz needs to take a closer inspection of why he has been successful and why other previously successful small businesses in manhattan no longer are. he can blame it on local government, the business district, customers, chains, etc., but hibachi hut isn't blameless.

Obviously, Hibachi Hut needed to steal So Long's customer list.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2013, 11:17:36 AM »
Nothing weird about Hibachi Hut?  Everything about Hibachi Hut was weird.  Just look at the place:

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2013, 11:18:00 AM »

They don't.  There will be a slug running a register & some losers in the kitchen. No service.
bears are fast...

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2013, 11:18:19 AM »
lot of dumbasses being dumbasses in this thread

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2013, 11:19:06 AM »
Nothing weird about Hibachi Hut?  Everything about Hibachi Hut was weird.  Just look at the place:

Look at the Bud Light logo product placement on the non-functioning door's awning.  Sellouts.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2013, 11:20:12 AM »
fun facts about hibachi hut: no hibachis. not a hut.