Author Topic: Benghazi Hearing  (Read 26833 times)

Offline GCJayhawker

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Benghazi Hearing
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 10:50:32 AM »
I'm still trying to understand what the outrage about Benghazi is.  What is being covered up?

I understand the IRS thing. That's bullshit and some people should be fired. I don't know if that's criminal behavior or not but it should be.
Jets were within one hour away, and were told to stand down... the fighting lasted for some 7-8 hours.

I don't know what to believe on the jets. I have hear 1 hour but I have also heard 4 hours.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 10:52:04 AM »
I'm still trying to understand what the outrage about Benghazi is.  What is being covered up?

I understand the IRS thing. That's bullshit and some people should be fired. I don't know if that's criminal behavior or not but it should be.

In a nutshell...

1. The government lied to the American people about the cause of the attack. We now know that the CIA and the State Department knew more or less immediately that the attack on the consulate was a premeditated act of terrorism committed, conveniently, on the anniversary of 9/11. However, political hacks at the State Department (i.e., Hillary),  revised the CIA's "talking points" (which are distributed to government officials so they can report accurate information to the media) to remove the references to terrorism and instead blame the attack on a spontaneous reaction to a youtube video. President Obama, SoS Clinton, Ambassador Susan Rice and others peddled this pablum for weeks. The truth matters. Not only did the falsehood directly contradict the Libyan president, who acknowledged it was an act of terror, it feeds into the narrative that America was somehow to blame for the attack, and if we would only be a little more respectful to Islam, all this could have been avoided. It was all bullshit.

2. The State Department insisted that no additional security was ever requested for the Benghazi consulate in the months leading up to the attack - now revealed as bullshit.

3. The State Department insisted that nothing more could have been done from a military standpoint to assist the embattled consulate - now revealed as bullshit. We still don't know who exactly gave the order to the military to stand down.

This is just a brief synopsis. The details are worse. Don't take my word for it, even hard core leftists are now outraged (after dismissing the GOP's efforts for months as a political witch hunt):
- http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/12/opinion/sunday/dowd-when-myths-collide-in-the-capital.html?_r=1&
- http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2013/05/benghazi-cia-talking-point-edits-white-house.html?mobify=0
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2013, 10:56:41 AM »
ben ji's dad, faithful right wing rush limbaugh listener, thinks some dems are making a big stink of this to run Hillary through the mud so she cant run for president in 2016.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2013, 10:57:28 AM »
ben ji's dad, faithful right wing rush limbaugh listener, thinks some dems are making a big stink of this to run Hillary through the mud so she cant run for president in 2016.

:frown:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2013, 11:00:40 AM »
I think some Dems are making a big stink about this because Hillary legitimately screwed up.

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2013, 11:36:02 AM »
I think some Dems are making a big stink about this because Hillary legitimately screwed up.

This. 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2013, 05:20:38 PM »

:frown:

Biden!

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2013, 06:11:02 PM »

Jets were within one hour away, and were told to stand down... the fighting lasted for some 7-8 hours.
out of what airbase?  Every legitimate news source has said air support would have had to come from Italy.  Fox news is the only place that pulled a bullshit talking point about and AC 130 (not really a Tactical CAS platform) and that was quickly debunked.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2013, 06:16:44 PM »
Or there were other nefarious actions going on there, and once things got out of control a decision was made . . . dead people don't talk.

CIA black hole perhaps?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2013, 06:21:22 PM »
the jets could have bombed the crap out of everyone and problem would have been solved. Pretty simple, you guys.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2013, 06:25:23 PM »

out of what airbase?  Every legitimate news source has said air support would have had to come from Italy.  Fox news is the only place that pulled a bullshit talking point about and AC 130 (not really a Tactical CAS platform) and that was quickly debunked.

I think you'd be better off if you checked into foxnews now and then.  The fact that most people have no clue what a monster fuckup this is, is proof that you have to watch all news outlets to know what's going on.

Also, I don't think Hillary (Secretary of State at the time of the attack, FYI that's who runs the State Dept) has testified since the State Department has been exposed as full of crap in this matter.  She probably ought to explain that.

goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2013, 06:29:47 PM »

I think you'd be better off if you checked into foxnews now and then.  The fact that most people have no clue what a monster fuckup this is, is proof that you have to watch all news outlets to know what's going on.

Also, I don't think Hillary (Secretary of State at the time of the attack, FYI that's who runs the State Dept) has testified since the State Department has been exposed as full of crap in this matter.  She probably ought to explain that.
She testified 23 Jan and nothing substantial was proven than, just as now.  If Republicans want to stop making stuff up, creating conspiracies which they admit has no factual basis, maybe they should call her to testify again.  Your worn out rhetoric shows just how idiotic this whole circus is. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2013, 07:36:08 PM »
Or there were other nefarious actions going on there, and once things got out of control a decision was made . . . dead people don't talk.

CIA black hole perhaps?

Rent-a-thugs? Sounds about right.

Offline Headinjun

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2013, 08:37:49 PM »

In a nutshell...

1. The government lied to the American people about the cause of the attack. We now know that the CIA and the State Department knew more or less immediately that the attack on the consulate was a premeditated act of terrorism committed, conveniently, on the anniversary of 9/11. However, political hacks at the State Department (i.e., Hillary),  revised the CIA's "talking points" (which are distributed to government officials so they can report accurate information to the media) to remove the references to terrorism and instead blame the attack on a spontaneous reaction to a youtube video. President Obama, SoS Clinton, Ambassador Susan Rice and others peddled this pablum for weeks. The truth matters. Not only did the falsehood directly contradict the Libyan president, who acknowledged it was an act of terror, it feeds into the narrative that America was somehow to blame for the attack, and if we would only be a little more respectful to Islam, all this could have been avoided. It was all bullshit.

2. The State Department insisted that no additional security was ever requested for the Benghazi consulate in the months leading up to the attack - now revealed as bullshit.

3. The State Department insisted that nothing more could have been done from a military standpoint to assist the embattled consulate - now revealed as bullshit. We still don't know who exactly gave the order to the military to stand down.

This is just a brief synopsis. The details are worse. Don't take my word for it, even hard core leftists are now outraged (after dismissing the GOP's efforts for months as a political witch hunt):
- http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/12/opinion/sunday/dowd-when-myths-collide-in-the-capital.html?_r=1&
- http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2013/05/benghazi-cia-talking-point-edits-white-house.html?mobify=0

May 12, 2013 11:00 AM
Gates: Benghazi-Obsessed Republicans Have 'Cartoonish' View of Military Capability
By David

Former Secretary of Defense Robert Gates told CBS News that Republican lawmakers who are blasting President Barack Obama's administration for failing to take military action during last September's surprise attacks in Benghazi have a "cartoonish" view of the military.

"I listened to the testimony of [Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta] and [Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Martin Dempsey]," Gates explained to CBS host Bob Schieffer in an interview that aired on Sunday. "And, frankly, had I been in the job at the time, I think my decisions would have been just as theirs were."

"We don't have a ready force standing by in the Middle East -- despite all the turmoil that's going on -- with planes on strip alert, troops ready to deploy at a moment's notice. And so, getting somebody there in a timely way would have been very difficult, if not impossible."

He continued: "And, frankly, I've heard, 'Why didn't you just fly a fighter jet over and try and scare them with the noise or something?' Well, given the number of surface to air missiles that have disappeared from [former Libya dictator Muammar] Gaddafi's arsenals, I would not have approved sending an aircraft, a single aircraft, over Benghazi under those circumstances."

Gates pointed out that others had suggested that the military could have sent in Special Forces or some other small group.

"Based on everything I've read, people really didn't know what was going on in Benghazi contemporaneously, and to send some small number of Special Forces or other troops in without knowing what the environment is, without knowing what the threat is, without having any intelligence in terms of what is actually going on on the ground, I think, would have been very dangerous," the former defense secretary observed. "And personally, I would not have approved that."

"It's sort of a cartoonish impression of military capabilities and military forces. The one thing that our forces are noted for is planning and preparation before we send people in harm's way. And there just wasn't time to do that."

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/david/gates-benghazi-obsessed-republicans-have-car

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2013, 11:02:56 PM »

CIA black hole perhaps?

Fast & Furious - Syria Edition.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2013, 11:21:42 PM »

CIA black hole perhaps?

Fast & Furious - Syria Edition.

Vast & Conspirious

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2013, 06:10:15 AM »
Lot of CIA running around, something like 22 or 23 of the 32 rescued were CIA.

Hmm

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2013, 06:17:15 AM »
This is basically a case of when CYA goes wrong.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2013, 08:04:41 AM »
May 12, 2013 11:00 AM
Gates: Benghazi-Obsessed Republicans Have 'Cartoonish' View of Military Capability
By David

Former Secretary of Defense Robert Gates told CBS News that Republican lawmakers who are blasting President Barack Obama's administration for failing to take military action during last September's surprise attacks in Benghazi have a "cartoonish" view of the military.

"I listened to the testimony of [Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta] and [Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Martin Dempsey]," Gates explained to CBS host Bob Schieffer in an interview that aired on Sunday. "And, frankly, had I been in the job at the time, I think my decisions would have been just as theirs were."

"We don't have a ready force standing by in the Middle East -- despite all the turmoil that's going on -- with planes on strip alert, troops ready to deploy at a moment's notice. And so, getting somebody there in a timely way would have been very difficult, if not impossible."

He continued: "And, frankly, I've heard, 'Why didn't you just fly a fighter jet over and try and scare them with the noise or something?' Well, given the number of surface to air missiles that have disappeared from [former Libya dictator Muammar] Gaddafi's arsenals, I would not have approved sending an aircraft, a single aircraft, over Benghazi under those circumstances."

Gates pointed out that others had suggested that the military could have sent in Special Forces or some other small group.

"Based on everything I've read, people really didn't know what was going on in Benghazi contemporaneously, and to send some small number of Special Forces or other troops in without knowing what the environment is, without knowing what the threat is, without having any intelligence in terms of what is actually going on on the ground, I think, would have been very dangerous," the former defense secretary observed. "And personally, I would not have approved that."

"It's sort of a cartoonish impression of military capabilities and military forces. The one thing that our forces are noted for is planning and preparation before we send people in harm's way. And there just wasn't time to do that."

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/david/gates-benghazi-obsessed-republicans-have-car

I'll take the word of the guys on the ground.

Hicks told committee staffers prior to Wednesday's hearing that he pushed for a stronger military response to an attack. He said he was rebuffed by Washington, according to excerpts of interview transcripts provided by the House oversight committee.

Hicks said he asked twice whether an F-16 or some other "fast-mover" aircraft could fly over the battlefield with hopes it would scatter the attackers.

"I talked with the defense attache, Lt. Col. Keith Phillips, and I asked him, 'Is there anything coming?' "

According to Hicks' account, Phillips said the nearest fighter planes were in Aviano, Italy, and it would take two to three hours to get them airborne, and there were no tanker assets close enough to support them. Hicks said when he asked again, before the 5:15 a.m. mortar attack that killed State Department security personnel former Navy SEALs Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty. But the answer was no again. Also killed was State Department employee Sean Smith.

A four-man team of military special operations forces was in Tripoli was organized, geared up and about to drive to a C-130 aircraft, to help those in Benghazi when its commander was ordered to stop by his superiors, Hicks said.

"He got a phone call from SOCAFRICA (Special Operations Command Africa) which said, you can't go now, you don't have authority to go now," Hicks said. "They were told not to board the flight, so they missed it."

Hicks said the commander told him: "I have never been so embarrassed in my life that a State Department officer has bigger balls than somebody in the military."

Maj. Robert Firman, a Pentagon spokesman, said Tuesday there was never any kind of stand-down order. Firman later said the military is trying to assess the incident Hicks is referring to, but the aircraft in question wound up evacuating a second wave of Americans from Benghazi to Tripoli, not transporting rescuers to a firefight.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/05/08/benghazi-hearing-whistleblowers/2143813/
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2013, 10:21:44 AM »
You guys do know that every country stuffs its embassies and "aid" agencies full of spies, right? That's not a new thing for you, is it?
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2013, 10:34:22 AM »
You guys do know that every country stuffs its embassies and "aid" agencies full of spies, right? That's not a new thing for you, is it?

How are people supposed to know that?

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2013, 10:38:05 AM »

Read some spy novels or something.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2013, 10:39:18 AM »

I did, they taught me American spies are always pretending to be Canadian journalists/photographers.

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2013, 10:43:32 AM »

I did, they taught me American spies are always pretending to be Canadian journalists/photographers.
I liked this one..had some good stuff in it.
http://www.amazon.com/Comrade-J-Pete-Earley/dp/0399154396
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2013, 11:47:36 AM »

By not being dense?

Or would you rather we have someone walking around the embassies with name badges that say "SPY" underneath the name and photo?