Author Topic: one year delayed, eh cap'n?  (Read 222873 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: one year delayed, eh cap'n?
« Reply #250 on: April 24, 2013, 12:35:30 PM »
I get the gE fear of a ridiculous amount of patience based on the Altburidge era, but I think its a little paranoid. We won't see Wooly type patience ever again, maybe Asbury, but definitely not Wooly.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 24, 2013, 12:35:51 PM »
grat's Angel's family and friends that are getting paid.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 24, 2013, 12:37:34 PM »
I get the gE fear of a ridiculous amount of patience based on the Altburidge era, but I think its a little paranoid. We won't see Wooly type patience ever again, maybe Asbury, but definitely not Wooly.

Not supporting your coach through tough times means you aren't a real fan, FWIW.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 24, 2013, 12:42:57 PM »
oscar earned a minimum of five more years when he won the coference.  Sorry, everyone. 

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 24, 2013, 12:46:53 PM »
oscar Weber can never win an NCAA tournament game and still be coaching here 6 years from now (IMHO).  In fact he could probably make the NCAA 1 out of three years and still coach as long as he wants.  He will always need time to find "just the right pieces" for his specific system. It could be next year!
This is very likely unless Currie has moved on.  Bottoming out in 13'-14' is prolly better for oscar than 14-15 when he would only have had 2 years left on his contract.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: April 24, 2013, 12:57:53 PM »

You won't see Wooly-like results, but you'll see Wooly-like patience based on our new, higher expectations. It's just that instead of hoping for an NIT run next year we'll be hopeful for an NCAA run next year.

Offline kougar24

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 24, 2013, 01:18:42 PM »
This is all so depressing.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 24, 2013, 02:03:08 PM »
sonofdaxjones is our Hawk Harrelson.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 24, 2013, 02:04:06 PM »
bun toughness.   i was eating lunch just now and the lady next to me was eating a burger and using lettuce as the bun.  i would not be able to do that, gross.  but, she had bun toughness and i don't.  it's what makes the world go around.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 24, 2013, 02:13:55 PM »
_fan is kind of close.

Most here are paranoid and rightfully so, however Weber won't be allowed to stick around for 5 years and not do anything.   He's to expensive, even with our much higher revenues as an athletic department, the basketball program can't be allowed to wallow around in the NIT for too long while paying a coach nearly $2 million dollars a year. 

He gets 3 maybe 4 years tops IMO.

WW . . . hardly.   

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 24, 2013, 02:22:32 PM »
He will be solely be judged on 2015-2016 year, When all these recruits are Juniors... anything before that year doesn't matter.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 24, 2013, 02:26:20 PM »
He will be solely be judged on 2015-2016 year, When all these recruits are Juniors... anything before that year doesn't matter.

it does to me. also, i hate you.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 24, 2013, 02:34:11 PM »
I hope Miami gets bigtime probation for tampering.

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 24, 2013, 05:32:28 PM »

What about the gE fear that the Weber hire was a complete goat eff from the beginning and this mass exodus is confirmation?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 24, 2013, 11:47:06 PM »

Absurd

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 24, 2013, 11:49:37 PM »
Oh, and Angel is not now, and will likely never equal Jake or Denny IMO.

Really?

Look, I get your points about the situation, but Angel is comparable to Denis as a senior and Pullen as a SO. He didn't score quite as efficiently as either, but in every other important guard statistic he is equal or better. He was on pace to realistically be compared with Steve Henson for his tenure at K-State.

Look _fan, you can roll out all the statistics you want, and get all butthurt about my comments, buy my opinion remains, he's not the baller that Jake or Denny were.

He's the baller jake was at the same point in their careers from a production stand point.  Who Jake ended up being was not who he was as a soph.

He wouldn't have equaled Jr or Sr.  Jake, and I don't think he would have equaled Jr. or Sr. Denny either IMO.
While he would never be the scorer Denny and Jake were, he was headed to be the starting pg and the primary playmaker on a team that went to the NCAAs for all of his 4 years joining Henson as the only other cat to do it.  They would of been 1a and 1b for best pg in school history in my opinion.

The only thing that kept Jake from going to the NCAA all 4 years was a bad schedule and bad coaching.

bad coaching is pretty much the reason everyone who has ever not made the tourny has not made the tourny

I was simply answering in the context of not making the Tourney all 4 years. 

Oh, and while we're on statistics, Jake did share the backcourt with Denny, and they were the 3rd most prolific backcourt Duo in K-State Basketball history in only 2 years together.   

MIR you should stick to polling random college age kids, and could you share the  "people of influence" at K-State who would be satisfied with the NIT.

I was wondering why you kept ranting about the NIT thing, I've figured it out. I was referring to winning the NIT not making the NIT. Learn how to read and comprehend you crazy old eff.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 25, 2013, 07:51:54 AM »
That's just semantics MIR, now, could you please start naming some names on who these people of influence are, who would be satisfied with the NIT, or an NIT Championship?

« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 08:10:13 AM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 25, 2013, 08:31:05 AM »
That's just semantics MIR, now, could you please start naming some names on who these people of influence are, who would be satisfied with the NIT, or an NIT Championship?

people of influence might be semantics, but as a townie living in town i can tell you without a hint of doubt that a ton of people would love (not just be satisfied) to win the NIT. just making the finals would make a lot of people beyond excited.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 25, 2013, 08:41:51 AM »

people of influence might be semantics, but as a townie living in town i can tell you without a hint of doubt that a ton of people would love (not just be satisfied) to win the NIT. just making the finals would make a lot of people beyond excited.

Over 50% of K-State's alumni don't even live in Kansas, a significant portion of the expanded list of major donors to K-State athletics don't live in Kansas.   The influence of a certain group of football centric donors has diminished since K-State athletics expanded their major donor targets.   The demand for Bramlage (men's basketball) to produce bigger financial numbers has increased significantly in the past few years, K-State basketball gross revenues are up $3 to $5 million dollars per year over the last few years.   Like any business entity, production at that level is now built into the financial projections.   There are only two sport at K-State that make money, women's basketball losses money hand over fist.   Even with the projected much larger financial payouts from the conference, K-State's budget has grown by $15 or so million dollars just in the last 2 or 3 years.   K-State budget will grow even more by necessity because while there have been major cash in hand donations, and major pledges to donate, there's a lot more debt to service while those major donations are coming in.   

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 25, 2013, 08:48:40 AM »

Over 50% of K-State's alumni don't even live in Kansas, a significant portion of the expanded list of major donors to K-State athletics don't live in Kansas.   The influence of a certain group of football centric donors has diminished since K-State athletics expanded their major donor targets.   The demand for Bramlage (men's basketball) to produce bigger financial numbers has increased significantly in the past few years, K-State basketball gross revenues are up $3 to $5 million dollars per year over the last few years.   Like any business entity, production at that level is now built into the financial projections.   There are only two sport at K-State that make money, women's basketball losses money hand over fist.   Even with the projected much larger financial payouts from the conference, K-State's budget has grown by $15 or so million dollars just in the last 2 or 3 years.   K-State budget will grow even more by necessity because while there have been major cash in hand donations, and major pledges to donate, there's a lot more debt to service while those major donations are coming in.   

sure.

but/also, townies and people in ks are the people that buy the tickets and show up to the games. just because they may not live in palo alto and get called on by the foundation and the athletic dept and solicited to donate 250k doesn't mean that they don't have influence. they're also the people that sit next to atheltic dept employees during dinner and/or bump into laird veatch at the grade school when he's picking up his kids. there is some influence in all of that, dax.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: April 25, 2013, 09:02:18 AM »

sure.

but/also, townies and people in ks are the people that buy the tickets and show up to the games. just because they may not live in palo alto and get called on by the foundation and the athletic dept and solicited to donate 250k doesn't mean that they don't have influence. they're also the people that sit next to atheltic dept employees during dinner and/or bump into laird veatch at the grade school when he's picking up his kids. there is some influence in all of that, dax.

I think you both have excellent points

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 25, 2013, 09:04:41 AM »

sure.

Way to much Wefald administration thinking in some of the responses.   The old regime is long gone.  I just completely disagree with any notion that the current administration is going to sit back and be happy with the NIT repeatedly just because some townies think it's perfectly okay.   Bramlage will have 8,000 a game, and thousands of seats that WERE NOT part of the required donation pool years ago, but are now will sit empty.  That hopefully trumps townies almost every time.   

K-State has many millions more in financial obligations now than it did even 3 or 4 years ago.   Higher conference revenue or not, the margins between profitability/comfort and sweating it out become a lot thinner if one of the only two athletic programs that makes money has its revenues plummet.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 25, 2013, 09:05:52 AM »

sure.

I think you both have excellent points

that's because they are both excellent points.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 25, 2013, 09:25:45 AM »
My points have a higher level of excellence.

:billdance:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 25, 2013, 09:29:44 AM »
Is the happiness with an NIT and Jake vs. Angel discussion like, way more boring than our AD putting out rumors that Angel is transferring because Angel (or people close to Angel) will get paid?