Author Topic: one year delayed, eh cap'n?  (Read 219028 times)

Offline kostakio

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: one year delayed, eh cap'n?
« Reply #800 on: April 22, 2014, 08:42:21 PM »
Which GRCOAT players formally asked for a release?

I don't know.  But I do know our policy had they asked!

I don't think you do. I mean, we wouldn't have had to hire frank if we wouldn't have let anyone go. We could have hired that dream boat mark fox and x'd and o'd like mad.

I pretty sure we said "we're going to hire Frank and Te, how about you guys stay around for a year and see how it goes. You can get a release then if you want one."

I'm pretty sure walker and Beasley always planned on being gone after a year regardless.  The only reason a release was ever brought up was because somebody asked Weiser about it in the press conference to announce Huggins' departure.  Once Te was brought on board I think the rest took care of itself.  Beasley was going to go to Charlotte to play for Te.  Funny how nobody at KSU was all up in arms when he used his relationship with Beasley to get a better job.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: April 22, 2014, 08:42:59 PM »
3:30, 4:30  Fun times!

yeah, he explicitly said it wouldn't happen until after the new coach was hired. Other than that exactly the same.

Yeah, he explicitly said something and it wasn't that.

Offline kostakio

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: April 22, 2014, 08:44:32 PM »
Who has actually been denied? Romero and that offensive lineman a couple years ago? That's all I can remember.

the only two that didn't know how to play the game.

Lamark brown was denied a release and therefore had to sit out a year even though he transferred down a level.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: April 22, 2014, 08:45:15 PM »
Need more comments about how good of a "poster" spracne is, like I haven't already heard a billion people say it yet. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: April 22, 2014, 08:45:37 PM »
They are protecting current and future K-State players. I think that's obvious.

:lol:
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: April 22, 2014, 08:46:58 PM »

That's a pretty strong hammer and seems pretty vindictive. I mean, the options for Leti are:

1) Be somewhere you don't want to be.
2) Pay your own way to another school, not play.
3) Abandon CBB and go to Spain

Those are mean options.

She could also go juco to get a scholarship, but that involves burning a year of eligibility.

Also, how much of a viable option is #2 for getting student loans for a non-citizen?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: April 22, 2014, 08:50:05 PM »
it sounds like Lehning (with a lot of help from Patterson) screwed this up (at least partially) with the manner in which they left. Plus if everyone (mainly Lehning and Romero) had just kept quiet and laid low until the release was granted, they'd be shopping their services right now. I think its reasonable to assume they made their connection in trying to find another school so obvious that K-State was forced to do something about it (or at least they felt they were).

keep quiet and you will be compensated with something you desire, talk and you will not be compensated = blackmail.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: April 22, 2014, 08:56:09 PM »
keep quiet and you will be compensated with something you desire, talk and you will not be compensated = blackmail.

Seems like that's hope the system works. :dunno:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: April 22, 2014, 08:56:35 PM »
from my understanding, you're an AD placement, who is here to play damage control.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: April 22, 2014, 08:57:09 PM »
I see 10 new pages in the last 24 hours and get all excited....but nope, just random gE'rs talking about nothing.

The only thing's I am remotely interested in is the Angel transfer and Deb BID on the way out.

If you have some info on this please quote my post and I'll come back to check the thread.

Until then I'll be hanging out in the fishing thread.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: April 22, 2014, 08:58:03 PM »
Does anyone seriously believe Angel would've taken a one year deal to stay and see what oscar was like? I mean, come on.

please try to articulate what, exactly, is difficult to believe about that scenario.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: April 22, 2014, 09:01:13 PM »
He never expressed any desire to transfer until after the 2012-13 season.

this is either factually incorrect or a bald-faced lie.  take your pick w. regard to how well informed cc is.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: April 22, 2014, 09:05:36 PM »

this is either factually incorrect or a bald-faced lie.  take your pick w. regard to how well informed cc is.

But IF it's true, what's that say about oscar?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: April 22, 2014, 09:06:09 PM »
I'm still trying to future this out.  We sent people across the Atlantic Ocean to build a relationship with a teenage girl to get her to move to the middle of another continent to play basketball.  For her, there is literally no reason to play/live here other than to play for those coaches we sent to Spain for her.  She has zero allegiance to KSU.  We knew that when we sent those coaches after her to build that relationship.  For a year those coaches were her de facto parents on a new, strange continent.  Our university spent thousands of dollars for those coaches to build a relationship with Leti and her parents, then used a sales plan of leveraging that relationship to get her to play ball here.  And now we're mad because she continued to talk to those coaches after we fired them (don't give me the we offered Shalee a job, we just fired her coach and mentor). 

How do you not initially go, "We understand you moved to a strange place on the otherside of an ocean from you family to play for these coaches and you'll continue to talk to them even thought its against some rules you don't care about.  Just don't go to another university in our conference or one we already have scheduled for future seasons.  Thanks for carrying the sub-par team this past year."

hamburglar, you are a good person.  from now on, i will attempt to remember who you are.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: April 22, 2014, 09:09:32 PM »
I also don't have a problem with K-State protecting themselves if they have evidence something is going on that they don't think is right according to the process that they have in place.

theft of self has always been a big problem.  thank god kstate is taking steps to protect itself.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: April 22, 2014, 09:12:48 PM »
Don't really like how some people are kissing my ass just to piss off OregonSmock  :dubious:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: April 22, 2014, 09:14:05 PM »
I then got into a DM exchange with her after this:

Perfect, it's @LeticiaRomero95. Leti, I'm w/@goEMAW.com. Can we talk about Angel and his release?

https://twitter.com/TrimGoEMAW/status/458033086769283073

In hindsight, I may have been a bit too ethical in clarifying exactly what aspect of all this I cared about.  :frown:

I indicated I'd like to submit to her some questions that she could take her time answering.  Eventually, she said she didn't want to go public any further as of Sunday.  I guess there's a chance that maybe we could eventually still do it.

I'm with Daris re: Angel.  I am bothered that while it could be 100% true that Angel only formally requested a release after 12-13, that he wanted a release after 11-12 but was told before the formal request that he'd have to put in at least a year to get one, and then he didn't bother formally requesting it.  That was always what I took away from Leti's quote, and it's such an odd thing to have brought up, that I want to know everything about why it was said.  I don't get why none of the media types aren't insisting she clarify that whole thing if she ever wants them to run with the stuff she's providing them (you know, blackmail her). 

That's all I was trying to get before she was silenced.  Well that, and whatever non-Angel stuff you guys would've had me ask her.

get me her email address.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: April 22, 2014, 09:17:49 PM »
get me her email address.

[email protected] (subject to change)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: April 22, 2014, 09:20:07 PM »
:surprised:

The damage is done. The refusal to grant the request of Leticia Romero has turned into a dumpster fire. So then, let it burn.

http://cjonline.com/sports/2014-04-22/kevin-haskin-k-state-should-stick-principles-regarding-transfer-request

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: April 22, 2014, 09:30:37 PM »

But IF it's true, what's that say about oscar?

it says art knew how to play the game (double entendre).

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: April 22, 2014, 09:31:03 PM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: April 22, 2014, 09:35:30 PM »

The damage is done. The refusal to grant the request of Leticia Romero has turned into a dumpster fire. So then, let it burn.

http://cjonline.com/sports/2014-04-22/kevin-haskin-k-state-should-stick-principles-regarding-transfer-request

? Still, is it worth forcing Romero, easily the Wildcats’ best player this past season as a freshman, to stay at K-State against her will?

? Is this controversy worthwhile for new coach Jeff Mittie and the image he wants to craft for the K-State program?

? Sure seems that in the past, there has been considerable turnover in the K-State basketball programs involving players whom coaches wanted out.

? Now that a good player wants to leave, the transfer is denied.

pew pew pew pew

The people who keep thinking these things don't matter will continue to either ignore these points or will say it's only chick ball who cares.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: April 22, 2014, 09:55:20 PM »
Props to whoever made Angel play for us for one more season, I enjoyed watching that dude play for my fave team

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: April 22, 2014, 10:20:26 PM »

? Still, is it worth forcing Romero, easily the Wildcats’ best player this past season as a freshman, to stay at K-State against her will?

? Is this controversy worthwhile for new coach Jeff Mittie and the image he wants to craft for the K-State program?

? Sure seems that in the past, there has been considerable turnover in the K-State basketball programs involving players whom coaches wanted out.

? Now that a good player wants to leave, the transfer is denied.

pew pew pew pew

The people who keep thinking these things don't matter will continue to either ignore these points or will say it's only chick ball who cares.

People on both sides of this debate are using that argument.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang