Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 327098 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
New To Investing Thread
« Reply #526 on: May 11, 2013, 07:12:13 PM »
Hmmm, monkey now less stud

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #527 on: May 12, 2013, 05:38:41 PM »
the robot monkeys are an index.  whether they'd be cheaper or more expensive than the fees of a fund would depend on how you carried out the monkeys' trade orders and how much you had invested.

too lazy to try and calculate it, but i'd guess the break even point on fees would be somewhere around 50k.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: May 13, 2013, 02:19:13 PM »
I have an hsa. My company gives me $500 every year, $1000 once I have a family. It's pretty boss. I spend like $100 a year on health care so it's up to like $3k. My hdhp carries a $2500 deductible and costs like $11 a paycheck.

My fiancée is a pt so once we're married I'll just hop onto whatever ridiculous healthcare plan the hospital she gets a job at offers.
emaw

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: May 13, 2013, 02:40:20 PM »
i checked into the hsa, and i don't think it makes sense for me (prolly would if my wife wasn't getting insurance through me).  i was pretty bummed.  the company i work for apparently goes out of their way to incentive the low deductable plans instead of the hsa eligible plans.

i mean it's close, but the benefit it pretty measly compared to the risk of spending more.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 13, 2013, 06:59:42 PM »
Anybody trying this?

https://www.lendingclub.com

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 13, 2013, 09:53:29 PM »
did anyone mention http://betterment.com itt?  I used it for a year or so with good results before moving all my investments over to Schwab. really good for your first time as there are no minimums and it's super easy, just set your aggressiveness and they do the rest. also cheap.
emaw

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 13, 2013, 10:03:17 PM »
Anybody trying this?

https://www.lendingclub.com

Not legal in KS, I'm sure you can get around it but probably a pain.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 13, 2013, 10:04:05 PM »
did anyone mention http://betterment.com itt?  I used it for a year or so with good results before moving all my investments over to Schwab. really good for your first time as there are no minimums and it's super easy, just set your aggressiveness and they do the rest. also cheap.

If its so great why did you stop using it?

Offline GoodForAnother

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: May 13, 2013, 10:33:33 PM »

If its so great why did you stop using it?

just decided to move everything to one place.  it's not very flexible really either and I like knowing where my money actually is. but it was good for just starting off.
emaw

Offline GCJayhawker

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 15, 2013, 09:15:45 AM »
Which one of you crazy guys/gals wrote this story? It reads like it was stole straight from gE and this thread.

http://lifehacker.com/pay-off-student-loans-or-start-investing-whats-the-be-505698915

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 15, 2013, 09:40:37 AM »
Ole ben ji's dad has always fancied himself as an ivestment guy/day trader. When I was growing up he would always ask me and my siblings if we wanted to invest some money in the stocks he was buying but they were all stupid penny stock stuff and I stopped after losing a couple hundred dollars. The only stock I can actually remember him buying was for a new TV network call "Queer TV" in the early 2000's, never knew if it was an actually company but it does strike me as strange that a right wing rush limbaugh devotee would invest in "Queer TV"

Anyways he works in IT and usually works from home spending alot of his time daytrading. 

So yesterday I stop by my parents house on the way to work to grab some stuff and start talking to him. He tells me to keep an eye on a certain stock, forgot the name, and that it was up 15cents on pretrading. I ask him how much he has invested in it and he tells me "Alot of my retirement money", all in this one stock I ask, "Yep".

I called him an idiot and told him that a 55yr old man shouldnt be putting that much emphasis on one stock. He looked at me with puppy dog eyes and said "But its up 15cents on pretrading"

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 15, 2013, 09:43:53 AM »
The ben ji's are risk takers, that much is evident.

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #538 on: May 15, 2013, 11:39:08 AM »
Ole ben ji's dad has always fancied himself as an ivestment guy/day trader. When I was growing up he would always ask me and my siblings if we wanted to invest some money in the stocks he was buying but they were all stupid penny stock stuff and I stopped after losing a couple hundred dollars. The only stock I can actually remember him buying was for a new TV network call "Queer TV" in the early 2000's, never knew if it was an actually company but it does strike me as strange that a right wing rush limbaugh devotee would invest in "Queer TV"

Anyways he works in IT and usually works from home spending alot of his time daytrading. 

So yesterday I stop by my parents house on the way to work to grab some stuff and start talking to him. He tells me to keep an eye on a certain stock, forgot the name, and that it was up 15cents on pretrading. I ask him how much he has invested in it and he tells me "Alot of my retirement money", all in this one stock I ask, "Yep".

I called him an idiot and told him that a 55yr old man shouldnt be putting that much emphasis on one stock. He looked at me with puppy dog eyes and said "But its up 15cents on pretrading"

In a couple years Ben ji is going to start a thread about having your parents move in with you because they lost all their retirement money trading penny stocks. T's and p's Ben ji!
I'm purple down

Offline slucat

• GIRL ALERT, GIRL ALERT
  • Combo-Fan
  • This SLU, not the city
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: May 23, 2013, 09:50:55 AM »
looks like a 5-10% seasonal drop in the market is coming, planning on holding onto my stocks, but thinking of dumping my index fund...is now the time?  :dunno:

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: May 23, 2013, 10:00:31 AM »
looks like a 5-10% seasonal drop in the market is coming, planning on holding onto my stocks, but thinking of dumping my index fund...is now the time?  :dunno:

short everything.   :runaway:

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: May 23, 2013, 10:01:23 AM »
:dubious:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: May 23, 2013, 10:02:39 AM »
well, the s&p is up like 7% in the last month alone

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: May 23, 2013, 10:05:06 AM »
S&P at a near record for EPS.  :dunno:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: May 23, 2013, 10:07:22 AM »
Thanks Obama

Offline slucat

• GIRL ALERT, GIRL ALERT
  • Combo-Fan
  • This SLU, not the city
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 23, 2013, 10:10:37 AM »
Yes I realize things are at record highs…I’ve made some $$ while riding this for the last several months, however, typically the market pulls back in the summer and is due for a correction.  As I understood it from this thread and other information, index funds go with the market, no reason to buy and hold and ride it back down.

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: May 23, 2013, 10:15:49 AM »
Sell every stock you own and never buy one again. 

Offline slucat

• GIRL ALERT, GIRL ALERT
  • Combo-Fan
  • This SLU, not the city
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: May 23, 2013, 10:18:42 AM »
Sell every stock you own and never buy one again.

:dubious:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: May 23, 2013, 10:38:35 AM »
Yes I realize things are at record highs…I’ve made some $$ while riding this for the last several months, however, typically the market pulls back in the summer and is due for a correction.  As I understood it from this thread and other information, index funds go with the market, no reason to buy and hold and ride it back down.

I'm probably one of the only ones in this thread that is fervently against the buy and hold strategy.  But others are certainly right about timing.  You can get shaken out of positions pretty easily if your stops are too tight.

Will we see enough movement to warrant selling with a plan to buy back?  Right now the S&P is 6% over 90DMA, and 10% over 180DMA.  Seems too soon to sell stuff, especially considering the fundamentals.  Maybe thin positions you want out of anyway and wait for a good buy point on stuff you want.  I'm wait and see and moving up stops.  But if we get down to 150 or 180DMA, I'm shorting a bunch of stuff.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: May 23, 2013, 10:44:16 AM »
Opened my roth IRA about a year ago, everything is in 1 mutual fund and I've been meaning to redistribute some of it into an ETF(Looking at ITOT). Finally got around to selling half the mutual fund yesterday, waiting until at least next week to reinvest it in a ETF, maybe longer if the market keeps going down. 

Not really trying to time anything, just something I've been meaning to do for a while.