Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 327139 times)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #3800 on: April 11, 2021, 10:24:13 AM »
there are some that will give you one for free if you just drive it to Alaska for them. Not like to keep, but to do that drive to Alaska and make a trip out of it. Gotta get yourself home.

how long do you get to enjoy the trip?  give me a name, i'd do the eff out of that.
Yes 100% yes

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: April 12, 2021, 11:08:59 AM »
I have a vague business relationship with basically every national RV rental company. There are some that specialize in basically nothing but German tourists who come over for like 2 month stretches and drive around the country. Also there are some that will give you one for free if you just drive it to Alaska for them. Not like to keep, but to do that drive to Alaska and make a trip out of it. Gotta get yourself home. It’s a wild deal. I would not do it but some people lose their mind for it. Also it’s obviously been a banner year for RV rentals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't take the kids to Costco with me without them fighting in the car and me losing my mind. We wouldn't need to find out how to make it back from Alaska and the place would find their RV at the bottom of a cliff somewhere.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: April 12, 2021, 11:57:00 AM »
there are some that will give you one for free if you just drive it to Alaska for them. Not like to keep, but to do that drive to Alaska and make a trip out of it. Gotta get yourself home.

how long do you get to enjoy the trip?  give me a name, i'd do the eff out of that.
Yes 100% yes
Sorry, free is not for the public apparently. But cheap AF. There’s another outfit out of IA that does it but aren’t offering it right now.

https://www.greatalaskanholidays.com/alaska-rv-rentals/specials/spring-adventure-package/

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: April 12, 2021, 01:56:35 PM »

Yes 100% yes
I am in as well.  Also already living the RV life and I freaking love it.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: April 14, 2021, 01:16:45 PM »
Snatched up some $COIN waited and got it below the opening price after it pumped hard and then dumped hard  :billdance:
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: April 14, 2021, 01:53:18 PM »
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: April 14, 2021, 03:15:05 PM »

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: April 15, 2021, 09:45:26 AM »
I launched an "algo trading" program this morning. In the first hour, I spent like $120 on commission to make $17 in profit. Lol.

I just pulled the plug. My plan was to give it six months live and then reevaluate. At this point, I don't think it will be worth the effort to continue developing it further.

New get rich plan is to get a second remote job and dump all income from it into investment funds.

Online KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: April 15, 2021, 02:00:59 PM »
I launched an "algo trading" program this morning. In the first hour, I spent like $120 on commission to make $17 in profit. Lol.

I just pulled the plug. My plan was to give it six months live and then reevaluate. At this point, I don't think it will be worth the effort to continue developing it further.

New get rich plan is to get a second remote job and dump all income from it into investment funds.
If you want to accelerate normal investing - and by normal I mean stock type investing - visit the real estate investing thread. Most people spend 25-33% of their income on housing. If you can get a 1-4 unit building and either rent out rooms or other units, you'll likely reduce your living expenses by at least half of not make your housing free. That's essentially like giving yourself a 15-30% raise that you could otherwise spend on investments.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: April 15, 2021, 03:41:13 PM »
KITNfury, your zeal for real estate and property management has me pretty worried your going to try to sell me a "plan" soon. irl love the passion though.

Online KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #3810 on: April 15, 2021, 03:48:02 PM »
KITNfury, your zeal for real estate and property management has me pretty worried your going to try to sell me a "plan" soon. irl love the passion though.
Yea, sometimes I wonder if I come off as preachy. I don't talk about it too much irl, except to the wife. Probably drives her nuts.

But anyway if someone is talking about working more to make more money, I can't help it. There's an easier way.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: April 15, 2021, 07:38:49 PM »
I honestly don’t personally have any interest in managing tenants or properties. I am much happier managing stocks and crypto.

Online KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: April 15, 2021, 08:16:05 PM »
I honestly don’t personally have any interest in managing tenants or properties. I am much happier managing stocks and crypto.
I don't have much interest either, so I don't do much of it. I self manage some, but they are nicer properties with good tenants, so not many issues that I deal with. The rest are handled by a property manager. The best part for me is monthly income. Crypto or whatever typically means you lose equity if you get income. Property gives you income while you gain equity.

I do understand why people prefer crypto or other stocks. You just tap your phone to buy or sell.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: April 16, 2021, 07:43:05 AM »

out of curiosity what are you doing where you are paying commissions?

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: April 16, 2021, 08:12:12 AM »

I had the same question, there are plenty of places w/ free trading. 

I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: April 16, 2021, 08:19:49 AM »

Had to in order to use the broker's programming interface. It was all automated.

I had the "PRO" Interactive Brokers account. The ticker updated in microseconds or whatever and it was WILD. You could sit there and watch 40% price jumps that lasted less than a second. Stuff you never see on an ordinary ticker. That stuff always looked shady whether or not it actually was. Pretty cool!

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: April 16, 2021, 08:53:50 AM »
I know it did not work out the way you wanted but I respect the crap out of your attempt. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: April 16, 2021, 09:19:54 AM »
I know it did not work out the way you wanted but I respect the crap out of your attempt. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
Yes, agree here

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: April 16, 2021, 09:40:53 AM »
It was fun. Same thing we're all doing here in this thread.

Part of the deal with this stuff is that no one who is really successful at it is going to share their strategy. So, in order to know if something will work, you just have to try it.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: April 18, 2021, 09:18:03 PM »
I think the Buffett example maybe wasn't the best illustration of compounding because it sort of comes off like, "see how much money you can have while you're on your deathbed!" WGAF.

And I think the really old, sick person angle applies even before you're really old and sick. Like, I used to dream of traveling the entire world and doing all kinds of crap. But the older I get, the more I'm like, "meh, whatever." I expect this trend to continue and by the time I'm retirement age I'll be fully content watching the birds in my back yard, which is incredibly inexpensive.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: April 19, 2021, 09:25:03 AM »
bought this book earlier this year. highly recommend.

Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: April 22, 2021, 01:17:06 PM »
JOE! THIS IS NOT THE WAY!  :frown:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: April 22, 2021, 01:23:05 PM »
Just gotta put some more fuel in the rocketship before we get to the moon.

https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2021/04/what-happens-after-the-stock-market-is-up-big/

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: April 24, 2021, 09:24:57 AM »
You shouldn’t think of your home as an investment but congrats to everyone who owns one

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: April 24, 2021, 09:47:45 AM »
what's the annual cycle there - house prices reliably peak in like may or so?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."