Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 341869 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #3425 on: February 05, 2021, 11:36:01 AM »
That definitely sounds like a nightmare. Every time I've changed a job I roll my 401k into an my IRA ASAP so that the # in my IRA is bigger and I cant just stare at it.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: February 05, 2021, 11:38:03 AM »
That definitely sounds like a nightmare. Every time I've changed a job I roll my 401k into an my IRA ASAP so that the # in my IRA is bigger and I cant just stare at it.
I don't even know what an IRA is.  :lol:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: February 05, 2021, 11:39:18 AM »
420seriouscat69, if you want some serious 401k shaming, I dumped everything I saved in my 20's on tuition and living expenses when I quit my job and went back to school and started over from 0 at 33.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: February 05, 2021, 11:43:55 AM »
420seriouscat69, if you want some serious 401k shaming, I dumped everything I saved in my 20's on tuition and living expenses when I quit my job and went back to school and started over from 0 at 33.
That's just goddamn impressive, bud. Good for you!

Now that i'm a parent, i'm starting to worry about this stuff now. I was too busy giving my paychecks to student loans in my 20's to give a damn about this stuff.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: February 05, 2021, 11:50:20 AM »
the way some providers force you to transfer funds should be illegal IMO. mailing requests and checks? gtfo

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: February 05, 2021, 11:53:37 AM »
At least you aren't in a crunch for the cash (hopefully) so sorting it out now is just kind of annoying  :dunno:. I had a HSA from my past job that was just hanging around for like 4 years (mostly out of mind) before I finally transferred it into my new one. Kind of wonder what would have happened to it if I didn't.
This is true.

the way some providers force you to transfer funds should be illegal IMO. mailing requests and checks? gtfo
I honestly thought some of my past 401K companies would just blow me up some day and remind me that I have $ with them still. Unfortunately, that's not how it's working.

Also, remember when I worked for "for profit" institutions in recruiting? A lot of these places are closed now and there's no HR company to tell me where to go.  :lol: I'm such an idiot.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: February 05, 2021, 12:05:06 PM »
wacky, we all do stupid stuff when we are younger. The important thing is you are doing smart stuff now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: February 05, 2021, 12:11:54 PM »
wacky, we all do stupid stuff when we are younger. The important thing is you are doing smart stuff now!

:thumbs: Thanks, friend! Well said.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: February 05, 2021, 12:19:51 PM »
I don't even know what an IRA is.  :lol:

Its an Individual Retirement Account that you can open with any provider out there. Instead of rolling all your old 401k's into your new 401k you can move the old 401k into your IRA which usually has lower fee's and better investment options.

It's perfectly fine to roll your old 401k's into your new one but I think its easier to just open an IRA and every time you change jobs just roll your 401k into that.

You can also contribute directly to your IRA up to 6k per year (depending on how much money you make) for a tax break but I don't want to overwhelm you in one post. Keep throwing cash in your 401k and you'll be good.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: February 05, 2021, 12:30:39 PM »
 :thumbs: Thank you!

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #3435 on: February 05, 2021, 07:10:11 PM »
Index bros what's the deal with new these fidelity zero expense ratio funds? Gimmick? Subsidized from other funds for Market share grab?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: February 05, 2021, 08:56:10 PM »
It is only offered if you are on a fidelity account apparently?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: February 05, 2021, 09:33:24 PM »
Index bros what's the deal with new these fidelity zero expense ratio funds? Gimmick? Subsidized from other funds for Market share grab?

I own a couple in my fidelity IRA and I'm not exactly sure so I did some googling...this was from a few years ago and fidelity no longer charges per trade.

The hope is that after opening an account with Fidelity -- or better yet, moving your million-dollar account to the brokerage -- you'll decide to place stock trades ($4.95 each) or put some of your money into its other mutual funds, which actually have management fees. If you keep any spare cash in your brokerage account, Fidelity will make money investing that cash and keeping most of the interest. Brokers make a lot of money on the spare cash you keep in your account -- it's one of the main ways the free brokerage service Robinhood makes money.

But even if you put all of your cash in its completely free funds, Fidelity can likely shave off a few dollars a year in revenue by lending out the stock the funds hold to short-sellers. Fund managers usually split so-called securities lending revenue with the funds' investors, sums that can easily rise into the tens of millions of dollars each year.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: February 05, 2021, 09:59:09 PM »
it's a really good time to be a retail investor.  at least in terms of how brokerages treat you.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: February 05, 2021, 10:16:24 PM »
it's a really good time to be a retail investor.  at least in terms of how brokerages treat you.
My first brokerage was DLJ Direct as a Sr in HS. Iirc trades were $15 which was much less than most of the competition.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: February 05, 2021, 10:23:58 PM »
i'm trying to decide if it's worth the effort to move part of my money from one brokerage where i have an account to another where i also already have an account to pocket a $900 bonus.  both offer free trades.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: February 06, 2021, 07:00:53 AM »
After trying to transfer stocks off robinhood and basically saying it is too big a pain, fidelity is also hoping to get new signups because once they have you there the inertia is huge, so all the benefits Benji listed are usually for decades not just a few months.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: February 06, 2021, 03:08:46 PM »
in my case, the weight of the inertia seems to be well calibrated at $900, because i can't decide if i want to do it or not.  if i didn't already have an account at the bonus-offering institution, i wouldn't even give it consideration.

it's boa, if anyone else wants to take advantage of the offer.  i wouldn't necessarily recommend them purely as a broker, but the website is good and they offer nice perks.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: February 08, 2021, 07:59:30 PM »
The day after Alex took his own life, Robinhood sent an automated email suggesting the trade had been resolved and he didn't owe any money.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/alex-kearns-robinhood-trader-suicide-wrongful-death-suit/

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: February 08, 2021, 08:01:01 PM »
What was the -$730,000 if not his losses?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: February 08, 2021, 08:05:30 PM »
Just a tragic awful gut punch of a deal. He was a Nebraska student. He didn’t understand the closing of his positions.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: February 08, 2021, 09:37:03 PM »
I'm surprised that story didn't come up more last week

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: February 09, 2021, 07:29:53 AM »
Man, I empathize with that kid.  I have the type of personality and character defects that I'm more inclined to be afraid of financial insecurity than death.  Poor kid.  EVEN IF he really did have a -$700K balance, if he declares bankruptcy, then within 7 years or so he's back to full credit and well into the start of his career none the worse for it.  Hell, he'd probably would have made a GREAT accounting or finance pro.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: February 09, 2021, 07:53:00 AM »
Man, I empathize with that kid.  I have the type of personality and character defects that I'm more inclined to be afraid of financial insecurity than death.  Poor kid.  EVEN IF he really did have a -$700K balance, if he declares bankruptcy, then within 7 years or so he's back to full credit and well into the start of his career none the worse for it.  Hell, he'd probably would have made a GREAT accounting or finance pro.
That's what is so mumped up. Obviously that is a lot of coin to be in debt with, but at his age he could have recovered. Definitely not something worth dying over.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.