Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 331866 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #3050 on: January 23, 2021, 11:18:14 AM »
Compounding really is something that most people need to see actual examples of to make sense of it, thus the buffet example.

My mom married two people and both died before they enjoyed retirement much after being pretty good savers so I do think that there is something to that, but I figure I live a pretty good life and I will almost certainly have enough to retire by 58 assuming my kids don’t all take 8 years to get a degree.

I don’t get this angle as a reason not to save. Dead people don’t regret missing out on life experiences. They’re just dead.

Alive people sure as heck can regret not being prepared for retirement though. Just look at all the pissed of boomers who elected Trump.

I definitely agree with what others have said though: saving aggressively for retirement should not come at the expense of a basic quality of life. The whole idea is to determine a comfortable/enjoyable standard of living and then figuring out what it takes to maintain that with increasingly minimal effort. That’s really the essence of retirement.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: January 23, 2021, 11:30:52 AM »
Not inflation adjusted, meant 25 to 55 in the second part.  6k a year is only 15% of a gross of 40K a year so it’s likely many people here can and do much more than 500 a month.  I think Rick is right that often people get overly aggressive and want to have some monster pile of cash waiting for them and never really enjoy their life along the way.
I think this is a little too rosy, but it does raise another important point that compounding is a double edged sword. If you are ok with working late into your 60s, it’s really not hard to save enough for a nice nest egg to use in conjunction with social security.

By the same token, every year you try to shave OFF of your retirement age gets harder and harder. When you’re even at a 10 year horizon, each dollar you put in isn’t going to make a huge dent by the time you need to start drawing it back out.

So there is a balance to strike. My savings rate is as high right now as it will ever be. At some point I’ll back off, but it will likely be in conjunction with taking a lower paying/less stressful job rather than for purposes of just blowing more money on expensive stuff I never really needed before.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: January 23, 2021, 12:17:14 PM »
I'm calling bullshit on justwin having fun

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: January 23, 2021, 12:19:23 PM »
BUT, I bet he gets a lot of satisfaction out of however he lives his life. Which is really what matters!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: January 23, 2021, 12:44:11 PM »

lmao

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: January 23, 2021, 01:10:53 PM »
Compounding really is something that most people need to see actual examples of to make sense of it, thus the buffet example.

My mom married two people and both died before they enjoyed retirement much after being pretty good savers so I do think that there is something to that, but I figure I live a pretty good life and I will almost certainly have enough to retire by 58 assuming my kids don’t all take 8 years to get a degree.

i dunno, it made sense to me the first time i ever heard about it, didn't need any examples.

my mother loved the crap out of being retired, but died when she was just getting started at 73.  she for sure missed out by not retiring earlier.  but, my father would much prefer to still be working and never goes anywhere and doesn't spend any of the money he's saved/invested.  don't think he cares much about the birds in the backyard either.  so, you know, people are just different.

also both halves of a married couple kinda should have the same preferences for it to work.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #3056 on: January 23, 2021, 01:15:12 PM »
Maybe I'll just blow it all on hookers and blow for the next 15 years. Then enjoy my government sponsored retirement.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: January 23, 2021, 02:18:12 PM »
BUT, I bet he gets a lot of satisfaction out of however he lives his life. Which is really what matters!

I guess maybe the things I do, you wouldn't consider fun, but I enjoy them.  We like vacations that involve things like going to Glacier National Park.  I personally would consider going to Disneyworld to be torture, but I'm sure those that go there enjoy it even if I wouldn't consider it fun.

A fair bit of our time is spent going to Kansas City for soccer in the fall and spring.  I enjoy coaching my daughter's team and watching my son's team, but not everyone may think that is fun.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: January 23, 2021, 02:23:20 PM »
i think mich was just busting on you. the great thing about fun is only you know if its fun.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: January 23, 2021, 03:30:29 PM »
I would rather go to glacier than disneyworld for sure.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3060 on: January 23, 2021, 03:39:49 PM »
Stop ganging up on SD everyone.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: January 23, 2021, 03:45:34 PM »
Stop ganging up on SD everyone.

I enjoy it tbh  :Rusty:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: January 23, 2021, 04:45:36 PM »

I don’t get this angle as a reason not to save. Dead people don’t regret missing out on life experiences. They’re just dead.

Alive people sure as heck can regret not being prepared for retirement though. Just look at all the pissed of boomers who elected Trump.

I definitely agree with what others have said though: saving aggressively for retirement should not come at the expense of a basic quality of life. The whole idea is to determine a comfortable/enjoyable standard of living and then figuring out what it takes to maintain that with increasingly minimal effort. That’s really the essence of retirement.
I don’t think either my dad or step dad died with regrets, just that they did not get to enjoy as many years of retirement as they had planned. It is definitely something to consider when you are looking at things at the margins (should I go on this trip that I’ve always wanted to do? Etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: January 25, 2021, 11:24:14 AM »
GameStop seems like a very good one to get into
This seems to have been correct.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: January 25, 2021, 11:32:55 AM »
What’s the deal on GameStop?  What is driving their growth?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
New To Investing Thread
« Reply #3065 on: January 25, 2021, 11:43:33 AM »
r/wallstreetbets

In the span of 3 hours it went from being up 120% to going lower than the open LOL
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: January 25, 2021, 11:51:57 AM »
Makes sense I guess. I’m a show up and let the chips fall as the may kind of person myself. Things seem to always work out. Like, whatever.

Same here ricky d  :cheers:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: January 25, 2021, 11:52:06 AM »
Wall Street bets found out that there was 140% short interest and so they started buying up call options, which forced clearing houses buy the stock, which drove the price up which caused short sellers to try and cover their short position which drove the price up and the cycle went crazy from there once it got a whiff of good news with a new board member which just got more people following that trend.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: January 25, 2021, 11:54:31 AM »
honestly the big short “research” groups are slimy and I’m glad they got smoked here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: January 25, 2021, 12:42:52 PM »

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: January 25, 2021, 12:48:11 PM »
so I've always been very conservative with investment and pretty much have everything in tax advantaged accounts but I want to start something to play with and join the kk/sd stonk text group.

Is there like a minimum amount necessary to make it worthwhile? I mostly wanted to start with a couple hundred bucks and then put like birthday money from my grandparents in it (but maybe more if I have the magic touch).

please advise, thanks.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: January 25, 2021, 12:53:50 PM »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: January 25, 2021, 01:07:07 PM »
so I've always been very conservative with investment and pretty much have everything in tax advantaged accounts but I want to start something to play with and join the kk/sd stonk text group.

Is there like a minimum amount necessary to make it worthwhile? I mostly wanted to start with a couple hundred bucks and then put like birthday money from my grandparents in it (but maybe more if I have the magic touch).

with no fees/v low fees, you can speculate with pretty much any amount you want.  obviously, it's not worth your time, but if you enjoy it then i guess it is.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: January 25, 2021, 01:09:50 PM »

not anymore. you can trade for free with no minimums pretty much everywhere.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: January 25, 2021, 01:13:13 PM »
Wall Street bets found out that there was 140% short interest and so they started buying up call options, which forced clearing houses buy the stock, which drove the price up which caused short sellers to try and cover their short position which drove the price up and the cycle went crazy from there once it got a whiff of good news with a new board member which just got more people following that trend.

All of that sounds highly illegal but it’s probably perfectly legal
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best