Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 327316 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #2475 on: March 22, 2020, 07:14:12 PM »
a really good bill might get a small bump, but there is a lot more bad news coming and there is zero reason to think that the market was going to do anything other than continue to go down and any gains are going to be gone after

https://www.bls.gov/schedule/news_release/empsit.htm
March 2020    Apr. 03, 2020    08:30 AM

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: March 23, 2020, 09:21:57 AM »
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: March 23, 2020, 10:15:49 AM »
:Woot: unlimited unbacked cash :cool:

https://twitter.com/martybent/status/1242090758821351432

Kittens are the currency of the future and I'm sitting on a gold mine. We are ramping production up 150% here at the cat ranch.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: March 23, 2020, 03:18:16 PM »
I dunno that dude, but it's terrifying that he would go on TV and say that. More scary is some people are comforted by that.

I hope that little snippet was taken out of context because we didn't hear what he said before /after that.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: March 23, 2020, 03:31:37 PM »
I feel like the people freaking out about that have no idea about monetary policy.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: March 23, 2020, 03:36:56 PM »
I feel like the people freaking out about that have no idea about monetary policy.
"Infinite amount of cash" doesn't bother you? It actually doesn't bother me much if I don't look outside my bubble. Most of my net worth is in a tangible asset that is leveraged. So hyper inflation pushes me way up the totem pole.

But "infinite cash" printing kills almost everyone that have traditional savings /pensions.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: March 23, 2020, 03:38:19 PM »

i can't even tell what people think was wrong in that clip.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: March 23, 2020, 03:41:04 PM »
also, as far as i can tell with my limited capacity to think through monetary policy, we probably are going to get inflation as we work our way through this recession.

people are gonna freak the eff out.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: March 23, 2020, 03:47:30 PM »
We are well on our way to becoming Zimbabwe :excited:
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: March 23, 2020, 03:49:05 PM »
"Infinite amount of cash" doesn't bother you? It actually doesn't bother me much if I don't look outside my bubble. Most of my net worth is in a tangible asset that is leveraged. So hyper inflation pushes me way up the totem pole.

But "infinite cash" printing kills almost everyone that have traditional savings /pensions.
Do you think there exists any scenario where the federal government would print and put enough money into circulation that its value is reduced like 80% plus?

And even if you thought that world existed, owning equity in companies could still hedge against it.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: March 23, 2020, 03:49:30 PM »
A little inflation seems like a pretty good thing for people who own assets, no?

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: March 23, 2020, 03:51:01 PM »
Expanding economy is linked to credit, which is debt. Credit is created by printing money. Credit defaults happen at the end of a recession because all the good debtors are spent and banks have to loosen in order to keep growing. Eventually loans become riskier and riskier to the banks. Meanwhile the Fed keeps printing money to expand the credit, devaluing the dollar along the way.

Currently they are printing money at a record pace. They're kicking the can down the road and opening the door for high (relative) inflation and a hard economic crash. But sure, there are no real problems with "infinite cash".

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: March 23, 2020, 03:53:23 PM »

Do you think there exists any scenario where the federal government would print and put enough money into circulation that its value is reduced like 80% plus?

And even if you thought that world existed, owning equity in companies could still hedge against it.
Like where tomorrow's dollar has the purchasing power of 20 cents today? No, I don't think it will be anywhere near that. I need more guns and ammo if that happens.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: March 23, 2020, 04:07:37 PM »
Let me make an analogy that this board might understand better. A well-functioning economy is like a well-functioning zerk. Cash/liquidity availability is like the grease on a zerk. The Fed is the grease gun.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: March 23, 2020, 04:15:17 PM »
Let me make an analogy that this board might understand better. A well-functioning economy is like a well-functioning zerk. Cash/liquidity availability is like the grease on a zerk. The Fed is the grease gun.
No crap, but there are negative consequences to overprinting money. That can't be denied.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2490 on: March 23, 2020, 04:22:37 PM »
yeah like your dad yelling at you that there is no grease left and you have to run into town to get more now

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: March 23, 2020, 04:23:29 PM »
No crap, but there are negative consequences to overprinting money. That can't be denied.

only if you define "overprinting" as having occurred when negative consequences subsequently appear.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: March 23, 2020, 04:25:42 PM »
The good news is we are nowhere close to printing too much money. Like not even close at all. These same idiots were saying we were going to have runaway inflation for TARP which even CNBC bozos now take as common sense that it was way TOO SMALL a response to the size of the recession then.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: March 24, 2020, 08:24:02 AM »
I love how there are lots of things I don't understand that can convince me the stock market might go down to zero.

https://twitter.com/LJKawa/status/1242433466052022273

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
New To Investing Thread
« Reply #2494 on: March 24, 2020, 08:27:13 AM »
I mean, junk bonds are getting extra junky and treasuries extra treasury’y for pretty obvious reasons. I don’t think it’s a useful tool right now. Market P/E is always one to watch but is useless right now when the P is down 35% and the E is based on a value from a different planet than the one we live on now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: March 24, 2020, 01:26:55 PM »
I mean, junk bonds are getting extra junky and treasuries extra treasury’y for pretty obvious reasons. I don’t think it’s a useful tool right now. Market P/E is always one to watch but is useless right now when the P is down 35% and the E is based on a value from a different planet than the one we live on now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't understand. Can you put that in zerk terms?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: March 24, 2020, 01:34:17 PM »
folks, if you’ve come this far, there is no sense in panic buying now. Wait until those April 3 jobs numbers come.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: March 26, 2020, 11:28:14 AM »
I am throwing in some napkins, but not the whole towel.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: March 26, 2020, 12:28:48 PM »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile