Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 327162 times)

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #700 on: January 31, 2014, 10:31:46 AM »
benji don't invest in anything that includes a certain % bonds.  at your age, don't invest in bonds unless you have a specific thesis in which you have high conviction.
I'm 42 with a family and I don't invest in bonds.
What kind of stuff do you invest in?
Ball bearings

No. I know Ramsey gets a lot of crap on gE for some of his teachings, but I use to listen to him when with some regularity when I was younger. I loved hearing some of the people that turned their mess around. Anyway, he preaches investing in the following manner:
25% each in the following fund classes:
Growth
Growth & Income
Aggressive Growth
International
I took the class, and he has some good principles, I just don't follow everything he teaches, I didn't remember that though, thanks!
I'm purple down

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: January 31, 2014, 10:39:00 AM »
I will also catch some crap for this, but I have a decent amount of money with an investment firm. The strategy is agreed upon and they invest in individual stocks of companies that pay dividends. It is great to follow what is happening in multiple companies, but not having to take the time to do all of the research prior to making the investments. It gives me time to bbs and be a husband/dad.

My personal philosophy is that I plan to have a shitload of money when I retire, so I won't move much to conservative investments as I get older. I would rather stay in growth/aggressive growth and leave shitloads of money for my kids. If the market takes a huge downturn while I am retired, I want to have enough money that it doesn't change anything in my day to day living. If you retire with just enough money invested to get through the rest of your life, then you should move most of it to much more conservative investments as you age. I work with some people who were planning on retiring in 2008 and 2009. They didn't have a bunch saved up, just enough to retire; however, they left what they did have in more aggressive investments as they neared retirement. They are still working today.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: January 31, 2014, 10:43:10 AM »
My personal philosophy is that I plan to have a shitload of money when I retire

my philosophy was to have just a small amount of money when I retire but after reading this I'm changing it to a shitload. dobber has convinced me.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: January 31, 2014, 10:45:12 AM »
retiring with a shitload means you worked too long.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: January 31, 2014, 10:46:59 AM »
My personal philosophy is that I plan to have a shitload of money when I retire

my philosophy was to have just a small amount of money when I retire but after reading this I'm changing it to a shitload. dobber has convinced me.
You're welcome.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: January 31, 2014, 10:50:08 AM »

a windfall is also part of my strategy

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: January 31, 2014, 10:53:43 AM »
How much does a house on 40 acres(Stocked farm pond duh) in the flint hills cost? I'll need exactly that much to retire....but but but, ben ji, how will you pay for other stuff like bills and spending money?

Dont care, gone fishing.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: January 31, 2014, 10:54:46 AM »
a windfall is also part of my strategy

that's the best plan there is.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: January 31, 2014, 10:58:39 AM »
I see it differently. A shitload means that you don't have to worry about money at all in retirement and you can do whatever you want to. If you have just enough money, then you need to be more cautious. A shitload is the way to go.

It is probably the difference of working an extra 4-5 years on average.

Simple Example: $2MM is just enough. You can withdraw 4% annually ($80k), live a decent life, and probably not run out of money, but you are limited to $80k annually.

However, if you work an additional 5 years and invest an additional $15k annually, you will have just over $3MM. Withdrawing the same 4% gives you $120,000 annually and you will probably not run out of money.

(this is all just to show a simple example. there are plenty of holes in this and it is not reflective of my more in depth plan)

EDIT: Which entails windfalls and such.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: January 31, 2014, 11:00:36 AM »
I see it differently. A shitload means that you don't have to worry about money at all in retirement and you can do whatever you want to. If you have just enough money, then you need to be more cautious. A shitload is the way to go.

Simple Example: $2MM is just enough. You can withdraw 4% annually ($80k), live a decent life, and probably not run out of money, but you are limited to $80k annually.

However, if you work an additional 5 years and invest an additional $15k annually, you will have just over $3MM. Withdrawing the same 4% gives you $120,000 annually and you will probably not run out of money.

(this is all just to show a simple example. there are plenty of holes in this and it is not reflective of my more in depth plan)

Dobber, I'll let you fish on my flint hills farm pond if you pay my property tax, k?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: January 31, 2014, 11:09:24 AM »
How much does a house on 40 acres(Stocked farm pond duh) in the flint hills cost? I'll need exactly that much to retire....but but but, ben ji, how will you pay for other stuff like bills and spending money?

Dont care, gone fishing.

Don't buy it just pay mortgage on it.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: January 31, 2014, 11:11:57 AM »

Dont care, gone fishing.

Emo, I'll give you unlimited fishing and hunting access to my land if you pay my electric bill, k?

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: January 31, 2014, 11:14:47 AM »

Dobber, I'll let you fish on my flint hills farm pond if you pay my property tax, k?
Possibility. Let's stay in touch.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: January 31, 2014, 11:16:28 AM »

Dont care, gone fishing.

Emo, I'll give you unlimited fishing and hunting access to my land if you pay my electric bill, k?

the crowd is going to be like spring break at disney world by the time ben ji gets this thing financed. no thanks.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: January 31, 2014, 11:18:05 AM »

Dont care, gone fishing.

the crowd is going to be like spring break at disney world by the time ben ji gets this thing financed. no thanks.

SD, I'm planning on stocking the pond with Bullhead catfish and will let you borrow my zebco to fish anytime if you pay for my propane, k?

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: January 31, 2014, 11:19:09 AM »

Dont care, gone fishing.

You haven't been invited!

EDIT: NM

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: January 31, 2014, 11:19:39 AM »
quit following dobber around

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: January 31, 2014, 11:21:45 AM »

Dont care, gone fishing.

Ya man.  You're going to need a lot more than 40 acres though.  Do like 2500 acres instead and I'll manage the grazing for you.  Also provide solar powered water pumps.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: January 31, 2014, 11:52:46 AM »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: January 31, 2014, 12:30:07 PM »

EDIT: Which entails windfalls and such.

you don't need that much money.  you're wasting your life because you're obsessed with security.  you can (should) probably retire right now.

think of your probable remaining life span.  take 100 and divide by those years.  consider the resulting number to be a percentage.  would you assume that percentage chance of dying sometime this year for your annual salary?  if not, why are you willing to sell a year of your life for the same price?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 01:17:25 PM by sys »

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: January 31, 2014, 12:56:03 PM »
I'm relatively new to investing.  I get my company 401k match and everything but want to invest more rather than have money sitting in a checking/savings account.  Any advice?  Is it worth paying a financial advisor and let them worry about it after telling them your goals?  Ugh

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: January 31, 2014, 01:08:31 PM »
I'm relatively new to investing.  I get my company 401k match and everything but want to invest more rather than have money sitting in a checking/savings account.  Any advice?  Is it worth paying a financial advisor and let them worry about it after telling them your goals?  Ugh
My opinion: Yes. However, you should understand exactly what he is doing with your money. It is not that complicated. If he makes it sound complicated, get someone else. Also, don't overpay.

Offline yoEMAW

• The Engineer
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: January 31, 2014, 01:17:06 PM »

Dont care, gone fishing.

SD, I'm planning on stocking the pond with Bullhead catfish and will let you borrow my zebco to fish anytime if you pay for my propane, k?

:sdeek:

DO NOT TAKE!

Offline yoEMAW

• The Engineer
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: January 31, 2014, 01:19:30 PM »
Vanguard S&P 500 index is the gold standard.

For old people

read: wealthy, wise, etc.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: January 31, 2014, 01:20:34 PM »

no.  investing is (can be, if you want it to be) incredibly easy.  there's no reason to pay someone to help you.