Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 332357 times)

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #650 on: January 02, 2014, 12:34:32 PM »
how about excel.. I don't think it properly gets the credit it deserves.. what a tool!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: January 02, 2014, 12:36:24 PM »
Anyone have any suggestions on a Excel Template with most of the retirement planning formula's already embedded?

I usually use the different financial calculators on the web but it would be easiest to have everything in one place.

Quote from:  .xlsx
        A                    B              C
1 what I have / % to goal / what I need
-----------------------------------------
2 pud amount /  =A2/C2    / huge amount

also, don't forget to format cell B2 to a % or you will need a math whiz to tell you what it says

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: January 02, 2014, 12:47:30 PM »
Anyone have any suggestions on a Excel Template with most of the retirement planning formula's already embedded?

I usually use the different financial calculators on the web but it would be easiest to have everything in one place.

I made my own.  Simple enough. 

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: January 02, 2014, 01:38:41 PM »

I made my own.  Simple enough. 

I started doing this but I figured there has got to be something out there I can download that has the formula's built in. 

like, what are you looking for?  i can't help you find one (and wouldn't, if i could), but i'm curious as to what you want.  i have a hard time imagining what use one could serve.

Looking for something that has inflation built in to the equation along with the ability to change contribution amounts over time. The basic ones on the web do not adjust the contribution amount for inflation, ie assumes you will invest 500 a month for 40 years but that $500 does not adjust for inflation.     

Basically, assuming 7% annual return/3% inflation, how much would I need invested at age 45 to quit my job and become a teacher. I want to run different variables that assume no more contributions after that date or different contribution amounts etc etc to see what the numbers look like.

Example- I want X amount of 2014 dollars a year in retirement starting in 2052. How much would I need saved by age 45 assuming no more contributions after age 45. How much would I need saved assuming $100 a month contribution after age 45 etc etc etc. The first part is pretty easy, I'm just looking for a formula that adjusts for changing contributions amounts over the time period.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: January 02, 2014, 01:40:12 PM »
That's still pretty simple to do yourself.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: January 02, 2014, 01:41:19 PM »
yeah, do you excel at anything other than fishing and owning adorable creatures?

Offline UCHADBRO

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: January 02, 2014, 01:46:19 PM »
Excel is a magical tool.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: January 02, 2014, 01:51:31 PM »
That's still pretty simple to do yourself.

Yeah, but it would prob save me about an hour if I could just download it. 

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: January 02, 2014, 01:51:45 PM »
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: January 02, 2014, 01:54:31 PM »
just invest as much as you can as early as you can, for maximum returns and/or maximum flexibility.  i don't see much use to the projections, given the arbitrariness of the input assumptions and the flexibility in the goals of the output.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: January 02, 2014, 01:55:55 PM »
just invest as much as you can as early as you can, for maximum returns and/or maximum flexibility.  i don't see much use to the projections, given the arbitrariness of the input assumptions and the flexibility in the goals of the output.

this is pretty much my approach.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: January 02, 2014, 02:04:04 PM »
Ben ji I just jpeg'd my sheet for you.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: January 02, 2014, 02:06:16 PM »
love that background image emo

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: January 02, 2014, 02:10:04 PM »
dolla dolla make you holla! 

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: January 02, 2014, 02:17:35 PM »

This is currently my approach but I want something more detailed to set guidelines for how much I need to invest each month for various scenarios.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: January 02, 2014, 02:45:12 PM »
My company is revamping their retirement plan for 2014. We used to have a cash balance account that would get ~ 2K dumped into it every year plus an investment account where the company would give you a 50% match up to your 6% contribution. The interest rate on the cash balance plan is the greater of 5.5% or whatever the current rate for the 10-year bond is.

Now they are trashing the cash balance account and giving us a straight up 5% contribution to the investment account no matter what we contribute. Seems like a much better approach.

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: January 02, 2014, 02:49:26 PM »
How much money do I want to have when I die?  $0.00 

:billdance:
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: January 02, 2014, 02:53:01 PM »
My company is revamping their retirement plan for 2014. We used to have a cash balance account that would get ~ 2K dumped into it every year plus an investment account where the company would give you a 50% match up to your 6% contribution. The interest rate on the cash balance plan is the greater of 5.5% or whatever the current rate for the 10-year bond is.

Now they are trashing the cash balance account and giving us a straight up 5% contribution to the investment account no matter what we contribute. Seems like a much better approach.

Only if you make more than 100k a year

Offline UCHADBRO

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: January 02, 2014, 04:55:11 PM »
How much money do I want to have when I die?  $0.00 

:billdance:

That seems like an optimal strategy

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: January 07, 2014, 04:41:00 PM »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: January 24, 2014, 04:29:47 PM »
Based on the results from our empirical study, it appears that the preference shift towards index fund investing is reducing the informational efficiency of stock prices.

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1769220

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: January 24, 2014, 04:48:06 PM »
Based on the results from our empirical study, it appears that the preference shift towards index fund investing is reducing the informational efficiency of stock prices.

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1769220

So I was thinking about the increasing popularity of Index funds the other day and have some questions....

Index funds are basically a collection of stocks meant to mimic the movement of the a certain index(SP500, Dow, etc) correct?

Lets say right now only 10%(Completely made up percent) of individual investors actually buy Index funds now but the gospel is spreading and soon 50% of individual investors are buying index funds instead of mutual funds.

Wouldnt this lead to the stocks in the index funds being overvalued(and then crashing) compared to other stocks not included in the Index's?

Do Index funds adjust for this?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: January 24, 2014, 05:14:11 PM »
ben ji, if you read the paper, they discuss that overvaluation would be predicted to dissipate due to arbitraging investors.  they speculate that it has not happened (not happened enough to remove the effect) because the arbitraging investors are not attracted to the opportunity due to the long and unpredictable time frame over which the overvaluation might reverse.

presumably, if passive funds continue to increase to the degree you mention (50% of total invested funds), the arbitrage would become proportionally more attractive and would begin to attract more investors, acting to reverse any overvaluation.

the market should correct itself.  afaik, no index funds attempt to hedge anything to correct any possible effect themselves.  but they could, if investors became interested in that - and willing to pay a little for it.  you could perhaps consider fundamental weighting an attempt to reduce similar effects.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: January 29, 2014, 08:38:02 AM »
Just saw your response, thanks sys.

Anyone know what this MyRA deal Obama mentioned in the state of the union speech last night?

Obama will also promote his proposal to create a program to help Americans who do not have traditional IRAs or 401K retirement accounts to save money for retirement.

Later in the day he will travel to a U.S. Steel plant in West Mifflin, Pennsylvania, where he will discuss his savings proposals. Administration officials said the plant was an example of a place that offered very good retirement accounts.

Obama said in his speech he would direct the Treasury Department to create a savings bond-like instrument called MyRA, which would have a guaranteed return without risk of losing money.

Is it basically buying Gov Bonds in a tax sheltered account?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 08:46:39 AM by ben ji »