Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 333130 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #3950 on: November 02, 2021, 01:16:50 PM »
someone tell me how to choose a 529. just do the state plan where i live? do it through Fidelity since my retirement is there? seems to be a lot of options at first glance, admittedly have done about 5 minutes of research.

Nebraska has a really good so just contribute directly through the NE NEST plan. But I think each state has their own rules and plan and some of the states suck bigtime. NE's is good because my contributions can be deducted from my state taxes. This isn't really advice because I got as far as googling it and read NE had one of the better programs and just went with that.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3951 on: November 02, 2021, 01:19:00 PM »
someone tell me how to choose a 529. just do the state plan where i live? do it through Fidelity since my retirement is there? seems to be a lot of options at first glance, admittedly have done about 5 minutes of research.

Nebraska has a really good so just contribute directly through the NE NEST plan. But I think each state has their own rules and plan and some of the states suck bigtime. NE's is good because my contributions can be deducted from my state taxes. This isn't really advice because I got as far as googling it and read NE had one of the better programs and just went with that.

MO has the same benefit using their MOST 529

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3952 on: November 02, 2021, 01:20:52 PM »
What’s more, seven “parity” states offer income tax breaks for contributions, regardless of which plan you use: Arizona, Arkansas, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, and Pennsylvania.4 If you call one of these states home, you have even more incentive to shop around because you’ll get a tax deduction or credit anyway.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3953 on: November 02, 2021, 01:24:31 PM »

if your state has an income tax break, use their plan and pick an index fund to invest in. Otherwise use Fidelity (or Vanguard, but whatevs).

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
New To Investing Thread
« Reply #3954 on: November 02, 2021, 01:29:09 PM »

if your state has an income tax break, use their plan and pick an index fund to invest in. Otherwise use Fidelity (or Vanguard, but whatevs).
100p

Texas offers no real benefit (the price of living in a no income tax state) so I use Vanguard (which is technically a Nevada plan I think). Works easy as pie.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3955 on: November 02, 2021, 01:37:34 PM »
I have 529s for my kids. As far as I know, that'll just save a few bucks on capital gains taxes. I don't know if I should even care about that. It's a super small amount relative to the total cost of college.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3956 on: November 02, 2021, 01:40:27 PM »
I have 529s for my kids. As far as I know, that'll just save a few bucks on capital gains taxes. I don't know if I should even care about that. It's a super small amount relative to the total cost of college.

not 100% certain you are aware of what the ol' S&P has been doing for the last decade....

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3957 on: November 02, 2021, 01:40:40 PM »
I have one 529 and a gaggle of kids. Knowing that if it's not used up by first kiddo it passes to next what are all of your thoughts on just putting the most amount into one of those rather than having various 529's with smaller amounts?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3958 on: November 02, 2021, 01:44:02 PM »
I have one 529 and a gaggle of kids. Knowing that if it's not used up by first kiddo it passes to next what are all of your thoughts on just putting the most amount into one of those rather than having various 529's with smaller amounts?

we got lump sum gifts (in the form of wheat for top secret reasons  :cool:) when each of our kids were born and started theirs with those funds. so each has their own. not sure if there are any pitfalls to just doing it your way though.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3959 on: November 02, 2021, 01:51:05 PM »
You can’t exactly share a 529 as far as I know, so if your kids are spaced less than four years apart it could be a pain figuring out how to manage those expenses. Of course you could just pay a year or two for one kid before passing it down, etc.

We have separate 529s for each kid. I really doubt they’ll leave any cash in either, but if they do there are plenty of ways to transfer the money while avoiding taxes. I think I even crunched the numbers and taking the 10% penalty and cashing out isn’t even necessarily a money loser if you had the money invested long enough.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3960 on: November 02, 2021, 01:54:09 PM »
Unless my kids end up private grade schooling, I plan on making all my 529 contributions by at least 10 years before college, so I’m actually banking on the money mostly being market gains.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3961 on: November 02, 2021, 02:03:17 PM »

not 100% certain you are aware of what the ol' S&P has been doing for the last decade....

Looks like the taxes would be about 10% of the total cost. Higher than I thought. Given that it's a one time type of expense, though, I still don't care all that much.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3962 on: November 02, 2021, 02:04:15 PM »
Unless my kids end up private grade schooling, I plan on making all my 529 contributions by at least 10 years before college, so I’m actually banking on the money mostly being market gains.

That's awesome. Also very unusual, I'd think.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3963 on: November 02, 2021, 02:22:10 PM »
You can’t exactly share a 529 as far as I know, so if your kids are spaced less than four years apart it could be a pain figuring out how to manage those expenses. Of course you could just pay a year or two for one kid before passing it down, etc.

We have separate 529s for each kid. I really doubt they’ll leave any cash in either, but if they do there are plenty of ways to transfer the money while avoiding taxes. I think I even crunched the numbers and taking the 10% penalty and cashing out isn’t even necessarily a money loser if you had the money invested long enough.

You can share it will family of yours.  I have all my niece/nephew on one kid right now just because I didn't want to open up separate for each.  As they decide to go to school or not I'll move it around.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: November 02, 2021, 02:37:02 PM »
Same, you can change the name. I may regret later when I have to make multiple payments out of it for different kids but whatever.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: November 02, 2021, 06:09:36 PM »

That's awesome. Also very unusual, I'd think.
Maybe unusual, but some people start contributing before their kid is even born!

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3966 on: November 03, 2021, 08:04:01 AM »

we got lump sum gifts (in the form of wheat for top secret reasons  :cool:) when each of our kids were born and started theirs with those funds. so each has their own. not sure if there are any pitfalls to just doing it your way though.

Oh look, the Dave family doing more farm mafia crap. I'm assuming it was all on paper etc but I'm getting a kick out of imagining a hopper truck pulling into SD's suburban neighborhood then papa dave jumps out and says "Congrats! Brought a gift! Where's the closest elevator to here?!?"

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: November 03, 2021, 08:51:34 AM »

Oh look, the Dave family doing more farm mafia crap. I'm assuming it was all on paper etc but I'm getting a kick out of imagining a hopper truck pulling into SD's suburban neighborhood then papa dave jumps out and says "Congrats! Brought a gift! Where's the closest elevator to here?!?"

yeah, it's 100% farm mafia stuff

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3968 on: November 03, 2021, 08:54:25 AM »
be more funny is steve dave's dad just started dumping it in the driveway

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3969 on: November 03, 2021, 08:59:21 AM »
how do you determine the cost basis on a bushel of wheat?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: November 03, 2021, 09:15:01 AM »
how do you determine the cost basis on a bushel of wheat?
I have no idea, I hate farming

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: November 03, 2021, 09:27:26 AM »
 :surprised:
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: November 03, 2021, 09:39:38 AM »
Sure like that farming cashola

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile