Author Topic: New To Investing Thread  (Read 333243 times)

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
Re: New To Investing Thread
« Reply #3925 on: October 26, 2021, 01:38:33 PM »
I like it cryptodave

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: October 26, 2021, 01:58:43 PM »
ibond rate comes out Nov 1 but I like those estimates!  I didn't know there was a maximum on those.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: October 26, 2021, 03:44:25 PM »
Boy the explanation on that site sounds confusing AF but it seems like the best rate you could actually bank on is still shy of 5% annualized over 14 months since you’re locked in for at least a year. Did I read that right?

Offline Purple Derpathy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: October 26, 2021, 04:39:04 PM »
if you want some ying to the cryptocurrency yang there are probably a lot of you that could benefit from getting yourself some i bonds right now. the CPI just blew up the rates and you can get an annualized 7%+ guaranteed for a 6 month term on up to $10k right now. Per person so you and a spouse can get $20k total at 7%+ annualized for 6 months.

https://www.depositaccounts.com/blog/inflation-treasury-series-i-savings-bonds/#:~:text=Based%20on%20today's%20release%2C%20September,life%20of%20the%20I%20Bond.

Worth looking into if you are 55+ and want to edge out inflation.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
New To Investing Thread
« Reply #3929 on: October 26, 2021, 08:14:51 PM »
I don’t know that this is a good entry point tbh
you are all welcome to this non-financial-advice free of charge

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3931 on: October 28, 2021, 04:54:02 PM »
30 year treasury yield fell below the 20 year

:sdeek:

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3932 on: November 01, 2021, 12:40:37 PM »
if you want some ying to the cryptocurrency yang there are probably a lot of you that could benefit from getting yourself some i bonds right now. the CPI just blew up the rates and you can get an annualized 7%+ guaranteed for a 6 month term on up to $10k right now. Per person so you and a spouse can get $20k total at 7%+ annualized for 6 months.

https://www.depositaccounts.com/blog/inflation-treasury-series-i-savings-bonds/#:~:text=Based%20on%20today's%20release%2C%20September,life%20of%20the%20I%20Bond.

ibond fixed rate is still zero but....

The composite rate for I bonds issued from November 2021 through April 2022 is 7.12 percent. This rate applies for the first six months you own the bond.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: November 01, 2021, 01:31:08 PM »
backdoor question (att. SD).

Say my friend from Alaska has some S and P index fund money sitting directly at Vanguard. Would it be a PITA to just open/convert 6k of that to a traditional IRA and then transition to a Roth? or is that a terrible idea due to capital gains in the taxable account and he should probably just open a traditional with cash and convert? TIA

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3934 on: November 01, 2021, 03:18:31 PM »

Say my friend from Alaska has some S and P index fund money sitting directly at Vanguard. Would it be a PITA to just open/convert 6k of that to a traditional IRA and then transition to a Roth? or is that a terrible idea due to capital gains in the taxable account and he should probably just open a traditional with cash and convert? TIA

vanguard makes it very easy to open an trad ira and then convert that to a roth ira. but, I don't know about converting the existing etf into that ira. I have an ira at vanguard (zero balance currently) that I add $6k to and immediately convert that over to my roth ira at vanguard. rinse/repeat every year.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: November 01, 2021, 03:56:34 PM »

vanguard makes it very easy to open an trad ira and then convert that to a roth ira. but, I don't know about converting the existing etf into that ira. I have an ira at vanguard (zero balance currently) that I add $6k to and immediately convert that over to my roth ira at vanguard. rinse/repeat every year.

thanks. maybe i'll reach out and ask. since I already have funds there, it seems easy to open an IRA, transfer some of the funds to it, then convert, but what the hell do i know?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
New To Investing Thread
« Reply #3936 on: November 01, 2021, 04:00:35 PM »
I don’t think there is such a thing as “converting” taxable investments into a retirement account, so I’m pretty sure your bud would have to sell what he has in Vanguard first, in which case just funding with cash is the better option. That said, paying some capital gains isn’t the end of the world and could still be a net benefit if your retirement horizon isn’t super close.

Along those lines, note that you have until like April 2022 or something to pay in your 2021 IRA amounts. So for example if you haven’t put in anything yet for 2021, you could put (I think) $12k in an IRA on March 2022 to cover both years and then immediately roll that into a Roth.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: November 02, 2021, 08:26:21 AM »
I don’t think there is such a thing as “converting” taxable investments into a retirement account, so I’m pretty sure your bud would have to sell what he has in Vanguard first, in which case just funding with cash is the better option. That said, paying some capital gains isn’t the end of the world and could still be a net benefit if your retirement horizon isn’t super close.

Along those lines, note that you have until like April 2022 or something to pay in your 2021 IRA amounts. So for example if you haven’t put in anything yet for 2021, you could put (I think) $12k in an IRA on March 2022 to cover both years and then immediately roll that into a Roth.

yeah, its something to think about for sure. Fun fact. My friend in Alaska had been auto contributing to a Roth forever only to find out a few years ago that he was over the income limits. He stopped the contributions once he realized, but sometimes wonders why he just doesn't keep contributing.  :dunno:

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: November 02, 2021, 08:41:15 AM »

Last question...probably not...When you say "convert" does that mean you make the traditional a Roth and therefore have a bunch of Roth IRAs with 6k in them or can you "convert" and roll into an existing? My current Roth that I can't contribute to anymore is at a different place so it would make sense to open a traditional, fund, convert, then send the funds to my existing Roth if possible. If I can't do that, i'll prob just open two accounts at vanguard.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: November 02, 2021, 08:51:38 AM »

yeah, its something to think about for sure. Fun fact. My friend in Alaska had been auto contributing to a Roth forever only to find out a few years ago that he was over the income limits. He stopped the contributions once he realized, but sometimes wonders why he just doesn't keep contributing.  :dunno:

Well the IRS will eventually figure it out. Maybe. Probably.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3940 on: November 02, 2021, 09:00:15 AM »

Last question...probably not...When you say "convert" does that mean you make the traditional a Roth and therefore have a bunch of Roth IRAs with 6k in them or can you "convert" and roll into an existing? My current Roth that I can't contribute to anymore is at a different place so it would make sense to open a traditional, fund, convert, then send the funds to my existing Roth if possible. If I can't do that, i'll prob just open two accounts at vanguard.

just one of each. the old IRA doesn't become a roth. you just fund the roth with after tax contributions to the trad ira. vanguard makes it very easy. you just select the funding account and convert it. I do it immediately after adding the money to the trad ira so I don't have any gains to worry about come tax time.  these are both vanguard products and I would imagine it would be a PITA to use an outside funding source even if it was possible and I'd not pursue that if I were you but maybe someone knows more here.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: November 02, 2021, 09:03:44 AM »

just one of each. the old IRA doesn't become a roth. you just fund the roth with after tax contributions to the trad ira. vanguard makes it very easy. you just select the funding account and convert it. I do it immediately after adding the money to the trad ira so I don't have any gains to worry about come tax time.  these are both vanguard products and I would imagine it would be a PITA to use an outside funding source even if it was possible and I'd not pursue that if I were you but maybe someone knows more here.

This makes sense. I'll check with the BD that has my current roth. It would make sense to do it there since I already a roth open. Thanks

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3942 on: November 02, 2021, 09:07:10 AM »
Make sure to understand if you have any current traditional IRA balances. If you do and they are significant, you will be paying a lot of tax doing a backdoor.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3943 on: November 02, 2021, 09:22:30 AM »
Make sure to understand if you have any current traditional IRA balances. If you do and they are significant, you will be paying a lot of tax doing a backdoor.

yeah, i need to figure this out too. My friend has an IRA with less than 10k in it. Its his/her fun trading account that she/he can rationalize terrible ideas by saying "its in an IRA so I can ride out the losses". Need to do some maths to make sure a backdoor is a good idea. good tip

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: November 02, 2021, 09:44:02 AM »
yeah, if you have any traditional (pre-tax) IRA balances you aren't backdooring anything. you are converting and will pay a ton of taxes to do so. may make sense, may not depending on your current and future tax bracket, income, etc.

a backdoor roth is done with purely after tax money so you aren't hit with anything and then it grows tax free.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3945 on: November 02, 2021, 09:53:02 AM »
yeah, if you have any traditional (pre-tax) IRA balances you aren't backdooring anything. you are converting and will pay a ton of taxes to do so. may make sense, may not depending on your current and future tax bracket, income, etc.

a backdoor roth is done with purely after tax money so you aren't hit with anything and then it grows tax free.

plus it all seems like a PITA if you have a current IRA. The solution here is for my friend's wife/husband to just do it since he/she doesn't have another IRA.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: November 02, 2021, 10:49:07 AM »
That's why I haven't done this move.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 01:15:16 PM by Phil Titola »

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: November 02, 2021, 12:43:35 PM »
A few things:

1. It is a pain to transfer funds between retirement accounts held at different brokers. I think the last time I did it, Vanguard signed and mailed an actual check to Betterment. Maybe not a huge PITA but more complicated than you think it should be.

2. You can have more than one Roth and more than one IRA. The only real rule is you cannot contribute more than the yearly max in total across all of them.

3. Most people that do backdoor Roth are doing it because they aren’t getting any pretax benefit from their IRA contributions, so there is rarely a concern about having to retroactively pay income taxes on the funds that get rolled over. That said, even if you only contributed post-tax funds to your IRA, you will get taxed on any appreciation in the investments when they get rolled over. So if you put $5k post tax into an IRA and then roll into a Roth when it’s worth $6k, you’ll need to pay taxes on $1k.

4. Depending on who you use for the IRA/Roth, taxes can be tricky. I think just this year TurboTax finally figured out how to ask questions that catch when you’re doing a backdoor rollover, but before that I had to be very careful in how I described it or else TurboTax just assumed I was rolling over pretax dollars instead of post tax.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3948 on: November 02, 2021, 01:02:06 PM »
3. Most people that do backdoor Roth are doing it because they aren’t getting any pretax benefit from their IRA contributions, so there is rarely a concern about having to retroactively pay income taxes on the funds that get rolled over. That said, even if you only contributed post-tax funds to your IRA, you will get taxed on any appreciation in the investments when they get rolled over. So if you put $5k post tax into an IRA and then roll into a Roth when it’s worth $6k, you’ll need to pay taxes on $1k.

yeah, that's why I do it all in one gulp.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3949 on: November 02, 2021, 01:09:38 PM »
someone tell me how to choose a 529. just do the state plan where i live? do it through Fidelity since my retirement is there? seems to be a lot of options at first glance, admittedly have done about 5 minutes of research.