Author Topic: Planning weddings  (Read 88815 times)

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Re: Planning weddings
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2013, 08:48:20 AM »
Never heard of anyone banning kids at a wedding. Probly people with kids just won't come at all.

If I saw ADULTS ONLY on a reception invite I would assume it was a swinger party gang bang.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2013, 08:51:37 AM »
Never heard of anyone banning kids at a wedding. Probly people with kids just won't come at all.

If I saw ADULTS ONLY on a reception invite I would assume it was a swinger party gang bang.

Well yeah, that's what it is.

I hadn't really heard of it either but apparently it's extremely common.
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&q=adults+only+wedding+reception&oq=adults+only+wedding+reception&gs_l=hp.3..0l2j0i22i30j0i8.11765.16583.3.16918.31.22.1.8.8.0.204.2141.15j6j1.22.0....0.0..1c.1.20.psy-ab.uj4y_cDMpr8&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.49784469%2Cd.eWU%2Cpv.xjs.s.en_US.MpiVkF51mpA.O&fp=7e20858304b2c495&biw=1277&bih=581

:lol: read this psycho bitch's post and then the resulting comments that slay her:
http://www.childfreenews.com/2009/11/no-kids-i-boycott-your-wedding.html
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2013, 09:18:19 AM »
We had some crazy kids at my wedding (didn't notice at all during the ceremony).  But we had the wedding close to home so the turnout was really good.  What I'm saying is that if the wedding is far from your families I wouldn't expect many kids to come anyways; those folks will just stay home. 

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2013, 09:31:11 AM »
I've never heard of adults only at a wedding

there will be like 30 little kids at mine
emaw

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2013, 09:38:03 AM »
I think that if you wanted no kids but wanted people with kids to come and have a good time, booking some child care at the hotel would be a pretty stand up thing to do, and show those people that you actually want them to come and have a good time.

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2013, 09:42:07 AM »
No way I could have gotten away with telling my family no kids allowed.  Would be v ugly.  On the flip side my best friend did the no kids thing and his family was fine with it.  I guess what I'm saying is do what you want.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2013, 09:57:28 AM »
I think that if you wanted no kids but wanted people with kids to come and have a good time, booking some child care at the hotel would be a pretty stand up thing to do, and show those people that you actually want them to come and have a good time.

Yeah I think that's what we'll do. Seems like a good compromise/gesture of good faith.  We definitely want people to bring their kids on the trip if they want to...Plus, the parents are coming to New Orleans, so (at least the few that I've talked to right now) seem like they want a night off from the kids to get super blasted in the Crescent City. The main issue is we don't have seats in the place for the at least 20 kids who would come. But also it's just wasteful to pay a ton of money for each kid who A) won't eat/booze much anyway, and B) will probably too young to remember anything anyway.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Dr.Spaceman

• Fan
  • scintillating scotoma
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2013, 07:00:34 PM »
so do you have a date for this thingy yet?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Planning weddings
« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2013, 12:12:41 AM »
Ya

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2013, 12:17:46 AM »
wife's cousin is getting married in NYC.  No kids.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2013, 01:50:33 AM »
Sounds like a thing that you'd find common on the coasts, but good luck getting away with that in Kansas  :lol:

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2013, 12:15:47 PM »
People who get their friends/family members to officiate their weddings are total dorks.

Also have a 100% divorce rate (only counting weddings I've attended)

That's a weird thing to say. What if your friend/family member is a pastor? Better to find some stranger?

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2013, 12:17:24 PM »
goEMAW has a really strange "anti-kid" groupthink philosophy sometimes. very bizarre.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 31, 2013, 12:22:50 PM »
goEMAW has a really strange "anti-kid" groupthink philosophy sometimes. very bizarre.

I think we have several "Child-Free Lifestyle" bloggers occupying powerful positions.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
Planning weddings
« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2013, 12:28:44 PM »
The desire to be childless is an evolutionary novel behavior and thus a symptom of intelligence. I read that in a book once.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 31, 2013, 12:30:43 PM »
The desire to be childless is an evolutionary novel behavior and thus a symptom of intelligence. I read that in a book once.

that is stupid.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2013, 12:45:07 PM »

I think it's just sys.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2013, 01:11:00 PM »
i got invited to a no kid wedding a year ago. it was in tulsa. best thing that could've happened, because it gave us an excuse not to go. ftb.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 31, 2013, 01:26:32 PM »
My wife is a bridesmaid at a no kid N.O. wedding this fall.  Sounds fine.  I don't think you are under any obligation to set up child care for people at a hotel.  That is insane.  People will either not come if they live pretty far away or they will leave their kids at home (especially if they are close).  Self-important people will call asking if they are the exception to your rule.

I hope you don't have some idiot friend officiating.  Also, don't embarrass yourself by showing up looking like Harry Dunne, save that for your funeral.

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 31, 2013, 01:34:33 PM »
Also, don't embarrass yourself by showing up looking like Harry Dunne, save that for your funeral.
I like how, given the audience, that this comment is not only completely necessary but also likely to be completely ignored.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 31, 2013, 01:37:10 PM »
Who will be the ring bearer/flower girl?  Looks like you didn't think this through.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 31, 2013, 01:39:36 PM »
Who will be the ring bearer/flower girl?  Looks like you didn't think this through.

:surprised:
@mikec2w

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 31, 2013, 01:52:26 PM »
i also think that anybody who does something other than the standard wedding w/ a reception that has some food and booze after is a complete trouble making weirdo.

like, you want to reinvent the wheel by having a no kids wedding? lol ok dork. prepare to get made fun of. wedding with no booze and a string quartet in the corner. wtf? great call, idiot. wedding on a sunday evening of a three day weekend because of labor day? oh wow. how'd you come up with that doozy a-hole?

cause at the end of the day it's not really about you. it's about the people that were nice enough to cancel whatever else they could have been doing that weekend to show some support for you and the person that you are choosing to attempt to spend the rest of your life wife. let them bring a kid or two if they want to. let them have a glass of wine or two or six if they choose. i mean my goodness.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 31, 2013, 02:02:08 PM »
I like when at the end of the buffet they have a guy who cuts you a slice of roast beef. Horseradish?  :lick: Bonus points if he has a tall white chef hat.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 31, 2013, 02:03:06 PM »
People that send invitations get to set some terms, people who receive invitations get to decide whether they want to accept those terms and come.  All the points you made are from the perspective of a guest at a wedding, most of the stuff he posted is from the perspective of someone planning a wedding.  These are two different parties, their interests may not always align perfectly.  If you are butthurt enough not to show only because you are not allowed to bring your kids, then the terms of the invitation were an excellent filter.