Author Topic: Planning weddings  (Read 87150 times)

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Planning weddings
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2013, 03:23:03 AM »
OK cat, what's the protocol for this?:

Bride has a good friend in Seattle, not in the wedding, who is a pro photog of weddings and babies and stuff. Thinking of asking her. Should we expect her to cut us a deal since she's good buds with Ms. SB or should we pay her what she would normally get? Or, if we offered to buy her flight to NOLA and pay for her hotel room in exchange for her services, would she see that as an insult? Or what? She's pretty laid back most of the time.

OK will be able to provide a more definitive answer, but from what I've seen on wedding photog blogs, some of them want to just attend friends weddings as guests without having to worry about photos, some are willing to do photos. Best bet is probably to approach her as you would any other wedding photographer, and she can say "Oh, I'd like to just attend," or "I'd love to take photos, and I can cut you a deal." But approach it like you're going to pay her the usual rate for her work. It's her business; it's up to her to offer to give you discounted services based on friendship.

Offline Doberman_CATS!!!

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2013, 09:48:53 AM »
I am being forced to attend a wedding in Arnold, KS for one of my fiances gfs. It's totally not a good thing if I tell her I don't want to go right? Has anyone been to Arnold? Thinking about staying in the Hat Friday night then driving to Arnie on Sat before wedding. I don't like driving.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2013, 09:50:26 AM »
I am being forced to attend a wedding in Arnold, KS for one of my fiances gfs. It's totally not a good thing if I tell her I don't want to go right? Has anyone been to Arnold? Thinking about staying in the Hat Friday night then driving to Arnie on Sat before wedding. I don't like driving.

Unless it's interfering with a football weekend, just go party.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2013, 09:57:21 AM »
Small town KS weddings are great because you can pee wherever you want. 

Also, wedding I went to did the Capture thing for wedding photos which was a big hit.  Recommend.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2013, 09:59:52 AM »
weddings where you don't know anyone are especially great, cause you don't have to worry about embarrassing anyone. just party.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2013, 10:00:33 AM »
weddings where you don't know anyone are especially great, cause you don't have to worry about embarrassing anyone. just party.

yes, love them.  :dance:

Offline Doberman_CATS!!!

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2013, 10:11:39 AM »
Noted  :drink:

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2013, 10:49:21 PM »

Also, wedding I went to did the Capture thing for wedding photos which was a big hit.  Recommend.

:confused:

Hope you're not talking about photo booths with totes hilarious props because those are a bit played out iyam
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2013, 10:53:37 PM »
boy oh boy guys.  is there anything more fun than spending a saturday making save the dates?  man, just a great time for everyone.   :thumbs:
emaw

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Planning weddings
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2013, 11:50:28 PM »
boy oh boy guys.  is there anything more fun than spending a saturday making save the dates?  man, just a great time for everyone.   :thumbs:

Doing that this Saturday. :flush:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Planning weddings
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2013, 11:51:40 PM »
LOLJK, partying my brains out Saturday and watching as many old ksu cat football games as I can. :party:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2013, 08:38:29 AM »

:confused:

Hope you're not talking about photo booths with totes hilarious props because those are a bit played out iyam

:facepalm:

No.  It's like an app/website where everyone at the wedding can dump their cell phone pics for everyone to see.  Especially fun for weddings because holy crap I don't remember taking a many of them once we hit Aggieville for the second time that day.

Offline TheCatFanSpeaks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2013, 10:38:30 AM »
No.  It's like an app/website where everyone at the wedding can dump their cell phone pics for everyone to see.  Especially fun for weddings because holy crap I don't remember taking a many of them once we hit Aggieville for the second time that day.

That's a really good idea, imo.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2013, 06:47:08 PM »
Will be using.

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2013, 08:24:54 PM »

yes, love them.  :dance:

Girlfriend just dragged me to my first "don't know anyone except my gf" wedding/reception a couple weeks ago, it was horrible.  Like, the wedding itself was nice and there was pretty good food and free beer but I absolutely hated spending that much time around ~300 people I had never met.  Plus, it was in her hometown in Nebraska so we were there the whole weekend and I got screwed out of a few hundred dollars (had to miss a big baseball tournament I was asked to umpire that weekend).  All in all, I'd rather pay Mike Tyson to use my testicles as a punching bag instead of doing that again.  Pulling that crap during football season would be an offense worthy of a break up.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2013, 08:33:05 PM »
I made it clear to Future Mrs. SB that I don't go to weddings that conflict with khat games. Also made it immediately clear that we would not be getting married during football or basketball season. She was cool with both of those things.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2013, 10:10:41 PM »
I made it clear to Future Mrs. SB that I don't go to weddings that conflict with khat games. Also made it immediately clear that we would not be getting married during football or basketball season. She was cool with both of those things.

The idea of you married is very weird.  Decent chance that thing gets called off?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2013, 10:50:16 PM »

The idea of you married is very weird.  Decent chance that thing gets called off?

:crossfingers:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2013, 11:06:23 PM »
Guys the picture thing is called Capsule.   Not Capture.  My bad.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2013, 12:18:50 AM »
So I think we're going to do a hard and fast NO KIDS on this one for both the ceremony and reception. At first I felt like this would be a dick move, but in Googling it apparently it's a pretty common thing to put "Adults only" on the invitation...and even after this it's still common for at least one dillweed to call and ask if she can bring her little angel. :don'tcare:

Any of you marriedcats have Adults Only reception? Is it weird or unreasonable to ask that? Because we're going to do it anyway. (First of all, it's really rough ridin' expensive to put on weddings even when you're a :kstategrad:. Every head that walks through the door costs like a billion dollars. Secondly, it's in New Orleans and is going to be a total boozefest shitshow and we want the adults to have fun. Third, been reading a lot of wedding blogs lately you guys and it seems like sometimes when there are a thousand kids there it's often chaotic and turns into a bit of a romper room. :eek: Fourth, really small venue. Precious few seats, both at the ceremony and the reception.

I guess what I'm asking is does this mean I have to provide childcare at the hotel or what? Because we're considering it since so many people will be coming from out of town.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 12:21:56 AM by SkinnyBenny »

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2013, 06:34:35 AM »
People who get their friends/family members to officiate their weddings are total dorks.

Also have a 100% divorce rate (only counting weddings I've attended)
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2013, 08:22:47 AM »
People who get their friends/family members to officiate their weddings are total dorks.

Ya that's why we're getting this guy:

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2013, 08:23:58 AM »

pro family or friend here. why hire some hobo?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2013, 08:42:41 AM »
So I think we're going to do a hard and fast NO KIDS on this one for both the ceremony and reception. At first I felt like this would be a dick move, but in Googling it apparently it's a pretty common thing to put "Adults only" on the invitation...and even after this it's still common for at least one dillweed to call and ask if she can bring her little angel. :don'tcare:

Any of you marriedcats have Adults Only reception? Is it weird or unreasonable to ask that? Because we're going to do it anyway. (First of all, it's really rough ridin' expensive to put on weddings even when you're a :kstategrad:. Every head that walks through the door costs like a billion dollars. Secondly, it's in New Orleans and is going to be a total boozefest shitshow and we want the adults to have fun. Third, been reading a lot of wedding blogs lately you guys and it seems like sometimes when there are a thousand kids there it's often chaotic and turns into a bit of a romper room. :eek: Fourth, really small venue. Precious few seats, both at the ceremony and the reception.

I guess what I'm asking is does this mean I have to provide childcare at the hotel or what? Because we're considering it since so many people will be coming from out of town.

Is this like a destination wedding?  Are either you or her from NO?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2013, 08:46:31 AM »
Canadian friend lives in NO.