Author Topic: The Future  (Read 59943 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: The Future
« Reply #175 on: May 02, 2013, 10:45:12 AM »
In Apple's innovation lab they have a battery that can power an iPhone for a year and only takes 30 seconds to charge.

What do they hook it up to to charge it? It seems like you would need a much beefier power supply than a wall outlet for that to work.

No idea, didn't ask questions.  But 115V @ 10Amps would do 8 W*hrs in less than 30 seconds (capacity of my SIII battery).

Your SIII battery doesn't have the capacity to run a phone for a year, though. Or were you saying that the battery would still need to be charged every day, and you would have to replace the battery after 1 year?

Honestly, either a single charge for a year, or a daily 30sec charge would be a huge deal.  Not on the same level as each other, but still huge.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 02, 2013, 11:07:48 AM »
IBM animates atoms:

Okay, so scientists can animate atoms. While that’s intrinsically cool, why does it matter? Well, it matters because these techniques can be applied to practical technologies. For example, use of a scanning, tunnelling electron microscope enabled scientists to store a bit of computer data into only 12 atoms last year. On your computer, it takes about 1 million atoms to store that data.

“Research means asking questions beyond those required to find good short-term engineering solutions to problems. As data creation and consumption continue to get bigger, data storage needs to get smaller, all the way down to the atomic level,” said IBM researcher Andreas Heinrich in a press release. “We’re applying the same techniques used to come up with new computing architectures and alternative ways to store data to making this movie.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/2013/05/01/ibm-made-a-microscopic-movie-and-star-trek-pictures-with-individual-atoms/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_211263&feature=iv&src_vid=oSCX78-8-q0&v=xA4QWwaweWA

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 02, 2013, 11:09:33 AM »
have you guys seen this graphene stuff? wow

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 02, 2013, 11:31:37 AM »
have you guys seen this graphene stuff? wow

one of the zillion potential uses for that stuff is to simulate the insanely small, ribbed structures on cicada's wings that function to pull apart bacteria under it's own weight. anything covered with that material would be totally resistant to bacteria. seems like something hospitals and public transportation could really benefit from.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 02, 2013, 11:38:55 AM »
Ya guys I don't know.  I'm sure it's super expensive and/or impractical or something.  But don't a ton of today's technologies start out as impractabilities?  I don't doubt that they have something like that, I just wonder when we'll see it, if ever.  I think defense spending pushing a lot of this stuff. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: May 02, 2013, 11:49:25 AM »
Ya guys I don't know.  I'm sure it's super expensive and/or impractical or something.  But don't a ton of today's technologies start out as impractabilities?  I don't doubt that they have something like that, I just wonder when we'll see it, if ever.  I think defense spending pushing a lot of this stuff.

Yeah.  Not shooting it down.  Sounds amazing and I hope this isn't something that gets used specifically for the military for a long time before we all get it.  Seriously, something like that battery, if adapted to other uses as other scales, could be a huge game changer for energy.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 02, 2013, 11:51:42 AM »

what don't you know? Of course almost all technologies start out impractical for the common consumer. YOU WILL SEE crap IN YOUR LIFETIME THAT WILL BLOW YOUR MIND.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 02, 2013, 02:04:23 PM »

what don't you know? Of course almost all technologies start out impractical for the common consumer. YOU WILL SEE crap IN YOUR LIFETIME THAT WILL BLOW YOUR MIND.

I'm saying I don't know why it's not on the market today.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 02, 2013, 02:53:01 PM »
This is a great thread.  I am excited open it and have my mind blown by something completely awesome on a regular basis

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 02, 2013, 02:55:26 PM »
Pretty soon solar panels will be a thing of the past.  Paint on houses will replace paneling (once efficiency is mastered).  Pretty cool stuff.  I hear Notre Dame and Iowa State are working together on this project.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/1/prweb10283909.htm

Your link didn't work but solar paint sounds pretty awesome

Oops.  This is a better link anyway.

http://news.nd.edu/news/28047-notre-dame-researchers-develop-paint-on-solar-cells/

“That’s why we’ve christened the new paint, Sun-Believable,” he adds.

eff yea

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 29, 2013, 11:50:34 AM »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 04, 2013, 02:10:38 PM »
hyperloop!

http://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-is-kicking-around-an-idea-that-would-send-you-from-san-francisco-to-los-angeles-in-30-minutes-2012-7

:excited:

I read something in USA Today about this last week.  He described it as roughly a combo of flying and air hockey, or something like that.

I knew this guy was the Tesla guy, but didn't realize he was also in on creating Pay-Pal. 

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 04, 2013, 02:13:12 PM »
hyperloop!

http://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-is-kicking-around-an-idea-that-would-send-you-from-san-francisco-to-los-angeles-in-30-minutes-2012-7

:excited:

I read something in USA Today about this last week.  He described it as roughly a combo of flying and air hockey, or something like that.

I knew this guy was the Tesla guy, but didn't realize he was also in on creating Pay-Pal.

He makes space shuttles too.  Really concerned about getting us off this shithole to save the species. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 04, 2013, 02:42:13 PM »
the answer is a tube like they use in a bank drive thru.
or something with magnets.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 04, 2013, 02:43:45 PM »

Was just thinking about the tube 'clams!  Would basically float on air bearings. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 04, 2013, 02:50:18 PM »

Was just thinking about the tube 'clams!  Would basically float on air bearings.

Roughly 350 miles per Google Earth at .5 hrs is about 60 MPH below Mach 1.  Average Joe commuter riding something going just under the sound barrier for half an hour.  This one seems a ways out there. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 04, 2013, 02:55:20 PM »
that speed is attainable.  another option would be something i call transient gravity.  essentially, i've patented a device that turns earth's gravitational pull almost onto its side.  instead of pulling directly down, it pulls along a plane parallel to other areas of the earth's axis.

pretty simple crap here guys.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 04, 2013, 02:57:42 PM »
and obviously the solution here is to reduce the object's drag coefficient until it's barely/not measurable. that way you can conserve energy.

Offline owl borland

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
  • I thought hurricane season was over
    • View Profile
GIFSoup

Don't forget your power towel. Bring it to every game

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 18, 2013, 02:44:26 PM »

:sdeek: