Author Topic: The Future  (Read 59510 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: The Future
« Reply #125 on: April 09, 2013, 03:02:35 PM »
Getting back on track here, the future will be awesome.

I am really looking forward to the Google car.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 09, 2013, 03:03:14 PM »
Movies aren't real, people. Teleportation could happen and it could be glorious.
Movies aside, how could teleportation work without completely vaporizing your very being and then rebuilding you on the other side? How do you not effectively die during that process, and how do you know that it would be you that comes out the other side and not something that really is nothing more than your rebuilt cells?

well that's something we'll just have to figure out, isn't it?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 09, 2013, 03:08:55 PM »
Movies aren't real, people. Teleportation could happen and it could be glorious.
Movies aside, how could teleportation work without completely vaporizing your very being and then rebuilding you on the other side? How do you not effectively die during that process, and how do you know that it would be you that comes out the other side and not something that really is nothing more than your rebuilt cells?

this won't be a big deal because your entire consciousness will exist in a computer. It will just be streamed from the data farm into your newly assembled body.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 09, 2013, 03:09:33 PM »

I don't really know how you can figure it out. It would be impossible to prove or disprove.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 09, 2013, 03:11:31 PM »

I don't really know how you can figure it out. It would be impossible to prove or disprove.

If you retain all your memories and are living on the other side, it's a success. who cares how it happens? I mean I can't explain how angry birds landed in my phone, but I can reap the benefits.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 09, 2013, 03:12:32 PM »

It is impossible today. But this thread is about the future.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 09, 2013, 03:13:59 PM »

If you retain all your memories and are living on the other side, it's a success. who cares how it happens? I mean I can't explain how angry birds landed in my phone, but I can reap the benefits.

If your experience is to enter nothingness when you step into the chamber and your former consciousness is reborn into a different body, then it's not really a success. You are simply dead.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 09, 2013, 03:47:26 PM »
If you don't know you're dead, are you really dead?

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 09, 2013, 03:58:39 PM »
James Webb Space Telescope

this thing is going to be rough ridin' amazing. like, 97% of what we know of space beyond our solar system is due to the hubble telescope, which was launched in 1990 and orbits 347 miles up. the JWST will go up in 2018 and orbit one million miles out.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 09, 2013, 03:59:23 PM »

Pretty great point here.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 09, 2013, 04:00:52 PM »
If you don't know you're dead, are you really dead?

Well, that's the question. I think you would be dead and the body that comes out the other end would just be some other person with your consciousness. Walking into that teleportation chamber would be the last thing you do. Your body and consciousness would still be there for everyone else, though. I certainly wouldn't be willing to try it. Best case scenario, you make it to the other side and still can't convince fence sitters like me that it's really you and not some copy just replacing your dead body. Worst case scenario, you never make it to the other side.

Edit: I don't really think the question is so much whether you will know if you are dead. Whatever comes out of the teleporter will be alive. You just won't know if you are still you. I think people are confusing thoughts and memories as existence. Just because a regenerated body shares your thoughts and memories, that doesn't mean that it is you and that you successfully survived a teleportation. There are plenty of living people today who have lost their thoughts and memories.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 04:17:21 PM by Nuts Kicked »

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 09, 2013, 04:22:13 PM »
NK, you are really rough ridin' up my looking forward to the future.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 09, 2013, 04:25:14 PM »
all of you will be dead before the cool stuff comes out

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 09, 2013, 04:35:21 PM »

Wrong.

Cryogenics.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 09, 2013, 04:47:31 PM »

Wrong.

Cryogenics.

Not worth it. You would be worse than a 90 year old on a smart phone with pretty much every aspect of life when you arrive at the future. You would be living in an underground city with all the homeless mutants, shitting into a bucket.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 09, 2013, 04:48:48 PM »
BucketBathroom all you want.  I am an extremely fast learner. 

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 09, 2013, 04:54:47 PM »

My biggest concern with going the cryonics route is that there would be absolutely no incentive for the future civilization to thaw me out. My money would be all but worthless to them. They would either keep me frozen or just pull the plug and let me die. Best case scenario, they thaw me out to run scientific experiments on.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 09, 2013, 05:00:23 PM »

the cool stuff is already out, bro! There's just more cool stuff to follow! It's all going to be great in the meantime.

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 09, 2013, 05:15:26 PM »

My biggest concern with going the cryonics route is that there would be absolutely no incentive for the future civilization to thaw me out. My money would be all but worthless to them. They would either keep me frozen or just pull the plug and let me die. Best case scenario, they thaw me out to run scientific experiments on.

I'm sure frozen people from today would be quite interesting to historians in 1000 years

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 26, 2013, 08:51:48 AM »
Monsanto will withhold grass that grows only to the perfect length from the public because they are in bed with the lawnmower industry.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 29, 2013, 12:14:35 AM »

Dude, the money in your accounts would just be sitting there, gaining interest for like a 1000 yrs. Everyone would want to thaw you out so they could murder you and steal your zillion dollars. So, there's that.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 29, 2013, 08:00:38 AM »
DNR most of thread so possible luke but this is pretty exciting

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-world-is-not-headed-for-disaster-2013-4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 29, 2013, 08:28:09 AM »
Well guys, it's time to invest in solar.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 29, 2013, 08:59:32 AM »
Batteries.