Author Topic: The Future  (Read 58638 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: The Future
« Reply #300 on: March 10, 2014, 10:24:27 AM »
i bet he says "sort of" a lot in regular conversations. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 11, 2014, 04:13:43 PM »

this is the human vs robot table tennis video

frustating slo mo and camera work makes it look staged and not real

i was hoping for a man vs machine sporting event.

the guy wasnt playing at all like he would be playing against and actual opponent.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 11, 2014, 05:34:55 PM »

this is the human vs robot table tennis video

frustating slo mo and camera work makes it look staged and not real

i was hoping for a man vs machine sporting event.

the guy wasnt playing at all like he would be playing against and actual opponent.

looks completely fake

pretty hilarious tagline at the end, though.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 18, 2014, 07:12:41 PM »
i don't pretend to understand the science here, but the Time article i read compared the function of a quantum computer to the human brain and i thought that sounded neat.

http://www.dwavesys.com/

Quantum Computation

Rather than store information as 0s or 1s as conventional computers do, a quantum computer uses qubits – which can be a 1 or a 0 or both at the same time. This “quantum superposition”, along with the quantum effects of entanglement and quantum tunnelling, enable quantum computers to consider and manipulate all combinations of bits simultaneously, making quantum computation powerful and fast.

How D-Wave Systems Work

Quantum computing uses an entirely different approach than classical computing. A useful analogy is to think of a landscape with mountains and valleys.

Solving optimization problems can be thought of as trying to find the lowest point on this landscape. Every possible solution is mapped to coordinates on the landscape, and the altitude of the landscape is the “energy’” or “cost” of the solution at that point. The aim is to find the lowest point on the map and read the coordinates, as this gives the lowest energy, or optimal solution to the problem.

Classical computers running classical algorithms can only "walk over this landscape". Quantum computers can tunnel through the landscape making it faster to find the lowest point. The D-Wave processor considers all the possibilities simultaneously to determine the lowest energy required to form those relationships. The computer returns many very good answers in a short amount of time - 10,000 answers in one second. This gives the user not only the optimal solution or a single answer, but also other alternatives to choose from.

D-Wave systems use "quantum annealing"  to solve problems.  Quantum annealing “tunes” qubits from their superposition state to a classical state to return the set of answers scored to show the best solution.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 18, 2014, 07:17:31 PM »
i don't pretend to understand the science here, but the Time article i read compared the function of a quantum computer to the human brain and i thought that sounded neat.

http://www.dwavesys.com/

Quantum Computation

Rather than store information as 0s or 1s as conventional computers do, a quantum computer uses qubits – which can be a 1 or a 0 or both at the same time. This “quantum superposition”, along with the quantum effects of entanglement and quantum tunnelling, enable quantum computers to consider and manipulate all combinations of bits simultaneously, making quantum computation powerful and fast.

How D-Wave Systems Work

Quantum computing uses an entirely different approach than classical computing. A useful analogy is to think of a landscape with mountains and valleys.

Solving optimization problems can be thought of as trying to find the lowest point on this landscape. Every possible solution is mapped to coordinates on the landscape, and the altitude of the landscape is the “energy’” or “cost” of the solution at that point. The aim is to find the lowest point on the map and read the coordinates, as this gives the lowest energy, or optimal solution to the problem.

Classical computers running classical algorithms can only "walk over this landscape". Quantum computers can tunnel through the landscape making it faster to find the lowest point. The D-Wave processor considers all the possibilities simultaneously to determine the lowest energy required to form those relationships. The computer returns many very good answers in a short amount of time - 10,000 answers in one second. This gives the user not only the optimal solution or a single answer, but also other alternatives to choose from.

D-Wave systems use "quantum annealing"  to solve problems.  Quantum annealing “tunes” qubits from their superposition state to a classical state to return the set of answers scored to show the best solution.

As far as I can tell, the "quantum" in quantum computing is, at best, just a metaphor.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 19, 2014, 09:04:29 PM »
As far as I can tell, the "quantum" in quantum computing is, at best, just a metaphor.
they are creating quantum situations in these "qubits" but there isn't much computing being done. government agencies and defense contractors are investing mere tens of millions of dollars at this point. if/when the process gets closer to its potential it will be worth more money and more attention. it's exciting to see how far they've come in 10 years of existence.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 19, 2014, 09:35:38 PM »
they are creating quantum situations in these "qubits" but there isn't much computing being done. government agencies and defense contractors are investing mere tens of millions of dollars at this point. if/when the process gets closer to its potential it will be worth more money and more attention. it's exciting to see how far they've come in 10 years of existence.

yawn, wake me up when we're creating wormholes.

The Big Train

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 12, 2014, 08:05:07 AM »

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline F14ABE

• Fan
  • WWCSD: What would Carl Sagan Do?
    • View Profile
    • F14 LIFE
« Reply #309 on: June 12, 2014, 10:30:22 AM »
I'm looking forward to the day when our washers & dryers fold and put away our clothes for us!
twitter & instagram: @AbeAlem
F14LIFE.COM
What would Carl Sagan Do?
Dream BIG!

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 12, 2014, 01:31:43 PM »
I'm looking forward to the day when our washers & dryers fold and put away our clothes for us!

Yes, either that or spray on clothes that washes off easy in the shower.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 12, 2014, 02:29:43 PM »
Philosophers and political writers have waxed on about the dawning of a new utopia since the beginning of history. Few, however, have had the guts, the hubris, or simply the fatigue-induced insouciance to stamp a date on it.

i'd like to punch this author

What an unbelievably ridiculous article. How can any idiot equate a "utopian" existence with simply having nicer crap? Talk about the folly of man.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 12, 2014, 02:31:32 PM »
Like, what a rough ridin' nerd. Yeah, the second our cars drive themselves everything will be utopian as crap. Yep, that sounds about right.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 12, 2014, 02:32:53 PM »

The second someone invents this, rough ridin' utopia bro!

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 12, 2014, 02:34:53 PM »
Like, what a rough ridin' nerd. Yeah, the second our cars drive themselves everything will be utopian as crap. Yep, that sounds about right.

I think his point is, at least how I interpreted it, is that with this extra time we save from not driving we will live better lives, care for our children better, be more productive, etc. 

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: June 12, 2014, 02:43:14 PM »

I think his point is, at least how I interpreted it, is that with this extra time we save from not driving we will live better lives, care for our children better, be more productive, etc. 

Yes I know the point he was going for.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 12, 2014, 02:44:03 PM »

Seems like noble endeavors?  :dunno:

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 12, 2014, 02:45:14 PM »

Shouldn't we already be living in a utopia since cars save us so much time vs riding around on horseback and washing machines save us time vs beating our clothes on a rock by the river?

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 12, 2014, 02:49:09 PM »

Shouldn't we already be living in a utopia since cars save us so much time vs riding around on horseback and washing machines save us time vs beating our clothes on a rock by the river?

Mrs. Gooch gets it! People have probably been saying that since the dawn of time. I mean, cool stuff is cool, and can possibly save you time, but a true utopia, which I personally believe humans are incapable of because it means we would stop striving for crap, would be when we are done inventing new "things" and move on to bigger questions.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 12, 2014, 02:49:26 PM »
plus the guy writes like someone I'd like to punch in the gut

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 12, 2014, 02:51:22 PM »

Seems like noble endeavors?  :dunno:

Sure, I mean go invent stuff. I'm not saying that's bad. I love my new phone.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 12, 2014, 02:51:45 PM »
Do you guys remember the Gods Must be Crazy monologue?  Wow, powerful stuff.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 12, 2014, 02:52:38 PM »
plus the guy writes like someone I'd like to punch in the gut

I guarantee you he sucks to hang out with.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 12, 2014, 02:55:30 PM »
An excerpt:

And here you find civilized man.

Civilized man refused  to adapt himself to his environment.

Instead he adapted his environment  to suit him.

So he built cities, roads,  vehicles, machinery.

And he put up power lines  to run his labour-saving devices.

But he didn't know when to stop.

The more he improved his  surroundings to make life easier...

...the more complicated he made it.

Now his children are sentenced to     to    years of school, to learn...

...how to survive in this complex  and hazardous habitat.

And civilized man, who refused  to adapt to his surroundings...

...now finds he has to adapt  and re-adapt...

...every hour of the day  to his self-created environment.

http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_scripts/g/gods-must-be-crazy-script-transcript.html

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 12, 2014, 02:59:07 PM »
Is that a poem?  I mean, it looks like a really shitty written poem.