Author Topic: And it begins...  (Read 66124 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: And it begins...
« Reply #275 on: April 08, 2013, 10:57:51 PM »
and you did see enough of Senior Call Hall to know if DJamer can be that guy. He was an undersized big with a high motor, exactly what you saw in the tournament.

there are tons of undersized bigs that play hard.  i didn't see anything from johnson to suggest he's one of the best of those.

No one is advocating for DJamer to be our star big, sys doesn't even think he's good enough to be a role player

kstate can win with him, they just can't win because of him.  if he was going to spend four years on the bench, i'd love him.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 08, 2013, 10:58:40 PM »
I'm sure oscar will be able to attract star bigs to come to Manhattan to play 12 minutes a night in front of 9,500 fans.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 08, 2013, 11:02:10 PM »
kstate can win with him, they just can't win because of him.

Has anyone ever claimed otherwise? Not sure how many players have went from 9 MPG as a freshman to a star by graduation.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 08, 2013, 11:04:47 PM »
Here I am hoping that capt crap's Look Out Boy pic means good stuff.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

when was the last time cc brought bad news?

No trees @ New Dev
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 08, 2013, 11:06:47 PM »
Apparently a portion of this board would rather play a 5 guard lineup, rather than recruit an average center. Mike Beasley ain't walking through that door very many times at K-State, star bigs are few and far between for schools outside of an elite group.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 08, 2013, 11:09:08 PM »

Has anyone ever claimed otherwise? Not sure how many players have went from 9 MPG as a freshman to a star by graduation.

like every KU player in the Bill Self era

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 08, 2013, 11:12:00 PM »

the players on his bench are top 100 players. I would have thought that obvious exception would go without saying, guess not

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: April 08, 2013, 11:14:52 PM »

the players on his bench are top 100 players. I would have thought that obvious exception would go without saying, guess not

Diaz was a top 150 player. Seems like maybe we shouldn't have run him off the team. :dunno:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 09, 2013, 12:10:03 AM »
i guess my whole thing is that i think kstate should have a fair number of top 100 players.  enough so that we don't need to play one DJamer, much less hope to recruit another.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 09, 2013, 12:27:11 AM »
i guess my whole thing is that i think kstate should have a fair number of top 100 players.  enough so that we don't need to play one DJamer, much less hope to recruit another.

Would you have another DJamer or Adrian Diaz? I know this shouldn't be our choice, not advocating for that, just interested in your answer.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 09, 2013, 12:31:54 AM »
for this kstate team?  i'd take diaz.  has more upside and is more different from gippy.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 09, 2013, 12:37:49 AM »
Here I am hoping that capt crap's Look Out Boy pic means good stuff.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

when was the last time cc brought bad news?

No trees @ New Dev

no trees @ fOOD either  :block:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 09, 2013, 12:53:49 AM »
for this kstate team?  i'd take diaz.  has more upside and is more different from gippy.

the upside thing is highly debatable, the different than gip thing is pretty legit

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: And it begins...
« Reply #288 on: April 09, 2013, 01:09:24 AM »
I'm sure oscar will be able to attract star bigs to come to Manhattan to play 12 minutes a night in front of 9,500 fans.

there's an awfully good chance that a star big would play more than 12 minutes per game.

Of course I saw what oscar did with the closest thing to a star big on the roster this year, so maybe you've got a point.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 09, 2013, 01:53:12 AM »

there's an awfully good chance that a star big would play more than 12 minutes per game.

Of course I saw what oscar did with the closest thing to a star big on the roster this year, so maybe you've got a point.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 09, 2013, 02:46:35 AM »

Diaz was a top 150 player. Seems like maybe we shouldn't have run him off the team. :dunno:

I'm sorry, but there was zero evidence Diaz was ready to be a contributor at the D1 high major level.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 09, 2013, 06:54:25 AM »
Do you guys remember all the stud bigs that frank recruited?   :lol: :lol: :lol:
CK and JO were pretty good. Without anyone bigger than Gipson or DJamer, the ceiling is losing to LaSalle in the first round of the tournament. UMKC would feel pretty good matching up with our bigs right now.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 09, 2013, 06:55:54 AM »
Also, can someone Slow-motion the Orris2Diaz at the end of that one game for a farewell/what could have been video.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 09, 2013, 06:56:35 AM »
Its easy to see why Diaz left. oscar had 4 bigs for one spot and Johnson beat out Diaz for the 3rd spot most of the season. There were multiple times during the year where Diaz didn't even play the 5, he came in at the 4, and by the end of the year Johnson was always the first big off the bench and got more consistent minutes if/when JO and Gip were both in foul trouble. And both had every opportunity to earn those minutes; through the first 9 games both guys consistently played double digit minutes.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 09, 2013, 07:09:54 AM »
I'd be happy with Cosby and Djambo.

oscar Omari and get that Onwas kid, and we are in business.

Cosby is down to the Fighting Breads and the Fighting Haiths after the in-home visits.  He's going to take official visits to both and then decide this month. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 09, 2013, 08:21:40 AM »

I'm sorry, but there was zero evidence Diaz was ready to be a contributor at the D1 high major level.

I know the stats aren't there, but Diaz has nice touch and could really be a legitimate scoring threat. His ceiling is pretty high. I like him more than I ever liked Judge. Diaz's biggest problem is that he gets pushed around. He needs to bulk up. It's easier to bulk up than it is to get good at basketball.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 09, 2013, 08:25:43 AM »
oh good grief.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 09, 2013, 08:26:40 AM »
Do you guys remember all the stud bigs that frank recruited?   :lol: :lol: :lol:
CK and JO were pretty good. Without anyone bigger than Gipson or DJamer, the ceiling is losing to LaSalle in the first round of the tournament. UMKC would feel pretty good matching up with our bigs right now.

we didn't lose to lasalle because of our 4/5s or lack thereof. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 09, 2013, 08:32:43 AM »

we didn't lose to lasalle because of our 4/5s or lack thereof.

I disagree. We did not take advantage of our size advantage at all in the first half. When we saw how much of a difference JO was making scoring we made an effort to keep him on the court and get him the ball. When we realized how easily it was for him to protect the rim we extended the defense to take away some of those bombs but opened up some driving lanes.

If we did this for 40 or even 30 minutes we win that game.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 09, 2013, 08:35:37 AM »
that's coaching, not players

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.