Author Topic: Does God Exist?  (Read 33408 times)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Re: Does God Exist?
« Reply #200 on: April 02, 2013, 05:23:15 PM »
I've had this theory about free will but you'll need to have a general understanding of physics to get it.   Odds are I might blow your minds and your defense mechanisms kick in.  Do I risk being mocked and ridiculed to share it? Tough to say.  Avoidance is my defense mechanism.  Anyway, according to my theory, whether or not I share it has already been determined; I just don't know it yet.

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Does God Exist?
« Reply #201 on: April 02, 2013, 05:27:59 PM »
Again - how does the existence of free will prove or disprove god?  Please explain this to me.
Good is better than Evil because it's nicer.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Does God Exist?
« Reply #202 on: April 02, 2013, 05:35:48 PM »
Again - how does the existence of free will prove or disprove god?  Please explain this to me.

It doesn't

Offline Goldbrick

• American by birth, Republican by the grace of God
  • Point Plank'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 02, 2013, 05:36:08 PM »
I don't know how to ask this without sounding condescending, but I'd honestly like to ask how atheists think the universe was created.

Not that I identify as an atheist, but of the speakers I've heard and blogs I've read, the general consensus is the Big Bang was caused by something science has not yet explained, however - they believe it was not caused by a god or intelligent creator.

The scientific community will never offer the conclusion of 'god did it.'

Not because god didn't do it.

But because in science, that can't be a legitimate explainable answer. They'll seek a 'natural', reductive materialistic answer and believe that over a God answer even if their own is more exotic.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 05:45:35 PM by Goldbrick »

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 02, 2013, 06:01:49 PM »
I don't know how to ask this without sounding condescending, but I'd honestly like to ask how atheists think the universe was created.

I don't think humans will ever find the answer to this question with definite proof. Science's best hypothesis is that it was created from 1 small point and has been expanding for the last 13+ billion years and will continue to do so. Now what was the cause of this action? I have no clue, a god like being is definitely a possibility, not likely in my opinion but a possibility none the less.

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Does God Exist?
« Reply #205 on: April 02, 2013, 06:02:58 PM »

It doesn't

Thought so....   Guess people can stop talking about it then, right?

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Does God Exist?
« Reply #206 on: April 02, 2013, 06:05:04 PM »

Not that I identify as an atheist, but of the speakers I've heard and blogs I've read, the general consensus is the Big Bang was caused by something science has not yet explained, however - they believe it was not caused by a god or intelligent creator.

The scientific community will never offer the conclusion of 'god did it.'

Not because god didn't do it.

But because in science, that can't be a legitimate explainable answer. They'll seek a 'natural', reductive materialistic answer and believe that over a God answer even if their own is more exotic.

Hence the ATHEISM. 

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Does God Exist?
« Reply #207 on: April 02, 2013, 06:05:57 PM »

I don't think humans will ever find the answer to this question with definite proof. Science's best hypothesis is that it was created from 1 small point and has been expanding for the last 13+ billion years and will continue to do so. Now what was the cause of this action? I have no clue, a god like being is definitely a possibility, not likely in my opinion but a possibility none the less.

But as SD asked... if god did it, who created god?

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 02, 2013, 06:17:10 PM »

I'd ask religious types how God was created

If God exists I doubt he is bound by space and time like the universe is.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Does God Exist?
« Reply #209 on: April 02, 2013, 06:18:16 PM »
That was a good answer stevesie

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 02, 2013, 06:22:37 PM »
idk. #4 "the judge" seems like he's been bound by time and space before. Look at how quickly he covered the field against RG3 with time running out.

looks like you've been judged and have been de-kleined, stevesie :dance:

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 02, 2013, 06:26:34 PM »
That was a good answer stevesie

Thanks, steve dave.

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Does God Exist?
« Reply #212 on: April 02, 2013, 07:15:53 PM »

Like I said earlier - the convictions of your average creationist are no more or less well founded than that of an atheist. 

When it comes down to it; the argument is "you can't prove it so" vs. "you can't prove it isn't so".   So I'll maintain my perspective of it being a ridiculous question that serves no other purpose other than dividing people. 

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 02, 2013, 09:46:35 PM »
Seems like they go with the "God gave man free will," line of thinking. Fine, though this means God cannot be all-knowing, which may seem blasphemous to some Christians (don't know how many)

Also Fun,

First off I don't believe that the Bible got anything wrong, and I do agree with Chicat that you can't fully understand God.

If you believe this, then why worship God? There's no way of knowing if God is just, or kind, or loving, until you die. So why spend your time worshiping a being whose motivations are unknown? Do you just take it all as a matter of faith?

I don't know how that means God is not all-knowing.  You'll have to explain that to me more. 

From the link you provided -

Adam had been given a Law to follow that in itself included the option to obey or disobey.   ...

Fourth, God didn't cause Adam to sin.  Adam freely chose, when presented with the fruit from his wife, to rebel against God.  Adam fell because he freely chose to disobey God, ...

Fifth, if someone doesn't like the idea that God knew they would be tempted and would fall, and therefore says it was wrong for God to let it happen, then what he would be requesting is that God not allow people to fall into sin, no matter what.  Think about it.  Freedom of choice means that temptations will occur.

If God did give mankind free will than God cannot know what decisions we make, until they are made. God got angry at Adam because he chose to "fall into sin," but that means God didn't know whether Adam would do so or not until the moment he did.

God cannot be all knowing if mankind has free will. If God is all knowing, then humans do not have free will.

I guess I don't know why you think that just because man has free will that God automatically can't know what we will do.  I believe we can have free will and that God can still know what we are about to do.  I believe God knows what we will do, but we have the freedom to do whatever.  Either seek God and obey Him, or not.

http://carm.org/questions/about-doctrine/if-god-all-knowing-and-he-knows-our-future-then-how-free-will  This link explains it really well.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #214 on: April 02, 2013, 10:02:35 PM »

We need a bigger super collider.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 02, 2013, 10:06:14 PM »

Like I said earlier - the convictions of your average creationist are no more or less well founded than that of an atheist. 

When it comes down to it; the argument is "you can't prove it so" vs. "you can't prove it isn't so".   So I'll maintain my perspective of it being a ridiculous question that serves no other purpose other than dividing people.

I happily agree that there isn't an answer to the question of "who created it all" including the question of "who created god"... It's when people tell me that god hates homosexuals, you have to accept a guy named Jesus as your savior or burn in hell, there were no dinosaurs, every religion but Christians are wrong, etc. that I say nope.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 02, 2013, 10:07:53 PM »

How do religious people think god was created?

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #217 on: April 02, 2013, 10:09:48 PM »

Super God
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 02, 2013, 10:12:07 PM »
In all honesty, god seems just as likely as an ever expanding explosion of matter caused by something nobody knows.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 02, 2013, 10:12:18 PM »

They need a bigger book.

Online 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 02, 2013, 10:12:47 PM »
If God is all-knowing and all-powerful and intervenes in the affairs of earth sometimes, then he is a rough ridin' bad person for all of the horrible things he allows (causes?) to happen. I'm not sure that is debatable. If he never intervenes, maybe he is just a mildly disinterested bad person.
:adios:

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 02, 2013, 10:13:29 PM »
In all honesty, god seems just as likely as an ever expanding explosion of matter caused by something nobody knows.

Well, I can see the ever expanding explosion of matter.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 02, 2013, 10:14:22 PM »
Earth is the women's basketball of the universe. God is busy elsewhere

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 02, 2013, 10:15:03 PM »

Only because god allows you to see it.

I wonder what Steven hawking thinks.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 02, 2013, 10:17:01 PM »

Only because god allows you to see it.

I wonder what Steven hawking thinks.

Netflix it.