Author Topic: Does God Exist?  (Read 33435 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: Does God Exist?
« Reply #175 on: April 02, 2013, 01:34:53 AM »
THEY DO EXIST!

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 02, 2013, 11:25:14 AM »
So... I'm confused.  Is free will arguing for a God, or against?

And a serious question I posed earlier; how do you define god?  A mystic intelligent creator as described in the Bible that created you specifically and knew you personally before you were born? 

Or a power we cannot comprehend that did nothing more than ignite a Big Bang sending the waves of energy that could only, by sheer statistical reason, create some form of life through the infinite possibilities from the infinite amounts of matter, possibly on the level of spitting in a Petri dish?  And all existence of a soul could be attributed simply to basic laws of conservation of energy...

My personal opinion is that people put way too much effort into the philosophy behind it, and I crossed the line into atheism when I tried to figure out why people felt the psychological need to believe in God.

Why would we invent a non-corporeal God?  There's a ton of reasons.  It's metaphysical putty that you can use to fix all kinds of things wrong in your life.  You can use it to fix a marriage.  You can use it to find strength when you need to dig deeper.  You can use it to convince other people to do what you want.  You can use it to get people to give you money.  The list goes on and on.

Anyway, people get all philosophical about it and try to really reason around it, but I think the psychology of "why" is much more damning than the philosophy of "why".

Number one on the list is to keep the poor from killing the rich.

Offline Willesgirl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 02, 2013, 11:50:36 AM »
Not to believe He exists is pure folly.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 02, 2013, 11:53:29 AM »
Pat Robertson is truly the gift that just keeps giving.

It may have been April 1st yesterday, but televangelist Pat Robertson wasn't kidding when he told a viewer that Americans aren't experiencing God's miracles because they are too "sophisticated."

Why do miracles "happen with great frequency in Africa, and not here in the USA?" asked a 700 Club patron Ken. "People overseas didn't go to Ivy League schools," Robertson replied with a chuckle.

"We are so sophisticated, we think we've got everything figured out," the Christian Broadcasting Network chairman continued. "We know about evolution, we know about Darwin, we know about all these things that says God isn't real, we know about all this stuff."

According to Robertson, it's the "skepticism and secularism" that is being taught at "the most advanced schools" around the country that is keeping God's miracles at bay.

Meanwhile, Africans are "simple" and "humble." "You tell ‘em God loves ‘em and they say, ‘Okay, he loves me'," said Robertson. "You say God will do miracles and they say, ‘Okay, we believe him'."

If Americans wish to experience more miracle, Robertson concluded, they must reject their miracle-negating sophistication in favor of the more credulous African way of life.
http://gawker.com/5993285/pat-robertson-blames-ivy-league-schools-for-lack-of-miracles-in-america?utm_campaign=socialflow_gawker_facebook&utm_source=gawker_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 02, 2013, 12:04:45 PM »
Knowledge: the enemy of God.

That quote brings to mind shitty magic shows.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 02, 2013, 12:07:02 PM »
I would punch Pat Robertson in the face then  :dance:

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #181 on: April 02, 2013, 12:22:23 PM »
I don't think God can exist if we know whether or not He does exist.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 02, 2013, 12:32:38 PM »

well that's convenient

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 02, 2013, 12:41:31 PM »

Exactly. Just like UFOs.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 02, 2013, 12:48:30 PM »
This is called the Santa Clause Principle and there are several movies that document this.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 02, 2013, 12:54:45 PM »
What do you think the checklist is for hell? Like I think if you're a cold blooded murderer, you're done for. However, what if you've slayed a lot of fillies, but are really nice in everyday life? Just curious, my friend wanted to know.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 02, 2013, 12:55:33 PM »
What do you think the checklist is for hell? Like I think if you're a cold blooded murderer, you're done for. However, what if you've slayed a lot of fillies, but are really nice in everyday life? Just curious, my friend wanted to know.

I'm pretty sure everyone gets in who believes and asks for forgiveness.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 02, 2013, 12:57:17 PM »
Relax wc, no one goes to hell. What a childish idea.
:adios:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 02, 2013, 01:01:09 PM »
Relax wc, no one goes to hell. What a childish idea.

Pure folly, if you will.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 02, 2013, 01:25:12 PM »
THEY DO EXIST!

Oh, wow. That was unexpected yet delightful.

Offline ksucrcoop

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 02, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
God exists because this thread exists.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 02, 2013, 01:44:30 PM »
A serious Saul fan.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 02, 2013, 04:50:58 PM »
I don't know how to ask this without sounding condescending, but I'd honestly like to ask how atheists think the universe was created.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Does God Exist?
« Reply #193 on: April 02, 2013, 04:53:22 PM »
I don't know how to ask this without sounding condescending, but I'd honestly like to ask how atheists think the universe was created.

I'd ask religious types how God was created

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 02, 2013, 04:54:29 PM »

If God exists I doubt he is bound by space and time like the universe is.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 02, 2013, 05:01:51 PM »

Science is an ever expanding and evolving knowledge base.  Is the question you posed suggesting because we don't know the answer right now with absolute certainty at this point in human history that god must therefore exist?  That seems awfully simplistic and shortsighted.  It's the selfsame as saying the earth was flat until it was proven that it wasn't.  What we know now has increased by leaps and bounds just in the past few centuries.  Just think what we might discover in the next few. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Does God Exist?
« Reply #196 on: April 02, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »

Not that I identify as an atheist, but of the speakers I've heard and blogs I've read, the general consensus is the Big Bang was caused by something science has not yet explained, however - they believe it was not caused by a god or intelligent creator. 
Good is better than Evil because it's nicer.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 02, 2013, 05:08:16 PM »

Science is an ever expanding and evolving knowledge base.  Is the question you posed suggesting because we don't know the answer right now with absolute certainty at this point in human history that god must therefore exist?  That seems awfully simplistic and shortsighted.  It's the selfsame as saying the earth was flat until it was proven that it wasn't.  What we know now has increased by leaps and bounds just in the past few centuries.  Just think what we might discover in the next few. 

I was asking because I didn't know if there were theories/hypotheses out there yet. Please tell me where I said "science may figure it out some day, but it may not" was not an acceptable answer.

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Does God Exist?
« Reply #198 on: April 02, 2013, 05:08:59 PM »
Really no different of any argument I've heard arguing that it was an intelligent creator.  Atheist have just as much conviction in their belief structure as most creationists.
Good is better than Evil because it's nicer.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 02, 2013, 05:16:23 PM »

I was asking because I didn't know if there were theories/hypotheses out there yet. Please tell me where I said "science may figure it out some day, but it may not" was not an acceptable answer.

I just assumed you knew that and therefore had an ulterior motive in asking the question.  Sorry. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.