Author Topic: Pistol Pete Part 2; Prelude to a Championship?  (Read 10442 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Pistol Pete Part 2; Prelude to a Championship?
« on: March 07, 2013, 09:27:46 AM »
It was over 2 months ago that K-State and OSU last met. Needless to say, a lot has changed since that first encounter, and in some ways the things we saw in that game don't apply much for Saturday's contest. We didn't yet know that K-State would become one of the most efficient offenses in the league and the top 3 point shooting team, nor did anyone imagine that in the final weeks of the season both teams would be in contention for a Big 12 title. That day the Cats shot hit only 33% of their 3s, with Angel, Will, and Tay combining to go 1-10. We all remember Rodney's incredible 2nd half, but the secondary hero that day was Nino Williams and his 17 points on 7-11 shooting (Nino actually took more shots than Rodney). Angel fouled out of the first game only playing 25 minutes and struggled shooting (0-5), but still managed 8 assists and 2 steals. JO was not the JO we've seen the last month and only played 14 minutes, but Gipson has a decent game with 9 points and 6 boards while playing 25. Shane wasn't much of a factor with Nino's good game, scoring 5 points in only 19 minutes.

For OSU, Smart and Brown led the way scoring 44 of OSU's 67 points and combining to shoot 11-18 overall, 3-7 from 3, and 13-16 from the FT line. Nash was pretty much a non-factor and both of OSU's bigs struggled with fouls the entire game. OSU's FT rate was really the only thing that kept the game as close as it was, as they only shot 3-11 from 3 and the Cats outboarded them badly, with a 18% differential in OR%. The Cowboys would split their next 4 games, starting league play at only 2-3 before going on their impressive run before losing to ISU last night, eliminating them from league title contention.

The charts below give you all the info from both teams in league games, comparing efficiencies and the 4 factors in multiple ways in addition to various offensive and defensive criteria.

The difference in the teams comes in how they score and how often they get to the FT line; Ford clearly relies on his talented players making plays and attacking the basket; as both their A% and FT rate on offense would indicate. OSU is also one of the best defensive rebounding teams in the league, and like us they are keyed by their ability to force TOs and create steals while also not turning the ball over a lot on offense. K-State has the clear shooting advantage, but OSU doesn't shoot nearly as many 3s and has the clear advantage in getting to the FT line.

"straight the bottom" will come later, but I'm looking forward to discussion of one of the most important regular season games for K-State in my lifetime.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Pistol Pete Part 2; Prelude to a Championship?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 09:32:18 AM »
super nervous _Fan, can't lie. Having huge regrets I am not going to the game and deciding to FPD it up instead. :/

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 09:34:37 AM »
Pretty nervous too, but mostly due to the location of the game.

If all of our shooters were off most of the game, I feel like we have a really good chance to show up better than the first game.

Iirc, Jurick(SP) fouling out was pretty key for us.

I don't know how we will contain brown or smart, but I think we can take care of the others and eek this one out.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 09:38:44 AM »
I feel good unless the officials just homer us into oblivion.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 09:38:57 AM »
what are you nervous about?  _FAN is too much of a fan to objectively pick us to lose.  he just doesn't have it in him.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 09:59:07 AM »
I think this will be a pretty high PPP affair. If that ugly kid from TCU can torch us all game, watch out. WATCH OUT.

Offline KanSt43

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 10:03:59 AM »
I feel good unless the officials just homer us into oblivion.

THIS. OSU gets homered arguably more than KU at home. If we don't get just skullfucked by the officials, we will win.  :emawkid:

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 10:05:38 AM »
KanSt43? :peek:

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 10:08:54 AM »
"straight the bottom" will come later, but I'm looking forward to discussion of one of the most important regular season games for K-State in my lifetime.

this hurt. lol im just kidding i read the whole thing

Offline KanSt43

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile

Offline MikeNelson

• Fan
  • Manos the Hands of Fate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 10:14:47 AM »
I think it will be interesting to see how this team plays an early game.  How many weeks has it been since a 12:30 Saturday tip?

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 10:16:12 AM »
not confident about this one, bros. going into it with a "nothing to lose" attitude.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 10:17:38 AM »
Cats by 6.  It's OUR time.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline steaksdime

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 10:27:35 AM »
Thanks for this. My shitty memory prevents me from remembering games in vivid detail.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 10:43:12 AM »
not confident about this one, bros. going into it with a "nothing to lose" attitude.

yeah except the conference title.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 10:48:48 AM »
I feel like Angel's knee is the key to this game.  If he can keep Smart in front of him and stay out of foul trouble we can take this thing to wire.  I greatly fear Smart getting by ART and forcing the "help defense" that results in easy shots and orebs for OSU role players.

On the optimistic side, I want to believe Tay is going to take full advantage of more minutes and really play and shoot well.

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 10:49:05 AM »
I think that OSU losing last night helps our cause.  Less reason for them to be motivated.

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 11:04:57 AM »
My catty sense tells me we win this thing. Rarely, lets me down.

catzacker

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 11:06:22 AM »
My concerns/thoughts:

Whistle & Flow – Can angel and rod stay out of foul trouble?
Point press Break – Will OSU’s point press lead to easy buckets?
Angels & past Demons – Can Angel continue his great play or does OSU’s physicality get to him again?
X Men – what sidekick steps up to be the hero?  Nino/Shane? Forte/Cobbins?

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 11:06:55 AM »
the refs are going to eff us

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 11:12:55 AM »
Angel's fouls per 100 has come down considerably since the beginning of conference play, so that should help. 

It would be nice if Will was back at full strength though to avoid situations where extended stretches of EMAPE are necessary. (or if Orris were Josh Gray, but that's neither here nor there).

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 11:15:32 AM »
If OSU's offense is predicated upon dribble drive buckets and FT points, why don't we run a zone on them.  Make them shoot from the perimeter, something they apparently don't like to do.  Until reading fan's stats, I just assumed they shot more from out there.   

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 11:16:35 AM »
What concerns me are steals and high flying dunks by O-State.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 11:18:53 AM »
not overly concerned about this one boys JO/BIG GIP gonna DOB hard core saturday, they suck down low

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 11:19:44 AM »
What concerns me are steals and high flying dunks by O-State.

Meh. We don't turn the ball over that much. Smart has good hands, but I'm not overly worried.