Author Topic: Pistol Pete Part 2; Prelude to a Championship?  (Read 10510 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Pistol Pete Part 2; Prelude to a Championship?
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 11:29:24 AM »
If OSU's offense is predicated upon dribble drive buckets and FT points, why don't we run a zone on them.  Make them shoot from the perimeter, something they apparently don't like to do.  Until reading fan's stats, I just assumed they shot more from out there.   

Makes some sense, but I don't think we've run one defensive possession of zone all year.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2013, 11:31:59 AM »
If OSU's offense is predicated upon dribble drive buckets and FT points, why don't we run a zone on them.  Make them shoot from the perimeter, something they apparently don't like to do.  Until reading fan's stats, I just assumed they shot more from out there.   

Makes some sense, but I don't think we've run one defensive possession of zone all year.

And, given that, now is def not the time to start.

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2013, 11:34:46 AM »
My catty sense tells me we win this thing. Rarely, lets me down.
:excited:

Offline MikeNelson

• Fan
  • Manos the Hands of Fate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 11:35:08 AM »
A triangle and two would be pretty effective against those guys as long as Forte wasn't on the court.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2013, 11:36:29 AM »
OSU has only lost 2 home games.  Gonzaga and Kansas.  Gonzaga by 1 and Kansas in 2OT.  They've had some close calls with lesser opponents though.  Hmmmm. I was going to make this post about how great they are at home because of the above, but now I just saw the Baylor and OU scores and maybe they aren't that great at home.  I don't know what to think.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2013, 11:36:54 AM »
how much zone have we played this season?

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2013, 11:38:41 AM »
Their court is offensive to the eyes.  The orange is overwhelming and the court is so light colored, it looks like it is washed out and emitting light.  I rough ridin' hate it.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2013, 11:45:58 AM »
What concerns me are steals and high flying dunks by O-State.

This x 1000

That seems to be what got Iowa State in trouble last night.  They'd dribble down the court, Smart would bump them, ball goes free, slam dunk.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2013, 11:50:50 AM »
I think we're about 50/50 on this bad boy.  I think we're a better team, but GIA is tough place to play, especially for us.

I just hope that loss to ISU deflates them a bit.  If they were playing for a share of the title, I'd be more worried, because that would jack the crowd up more.  I think we have more to play for, so hopefully the focus and "want to" is there.  Especially because we have so much senior leadership.

Honestly, I think KU has a lot to be scared of as well.  Baylor is backed into a corner and the have to win.  Not want to, not like to...need to.  OSU doesn't necessarily need this game.  They're probably still a 5/6 regardless.  Hopefully, that lack of urgency forces someone like LeBryan Nash to play like LeBryan "I really don't care what happens out here" Nash.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2013, 11:54:11 AM »
Babb was making them look silly athletically last night.  I mean, we have a pretty good shot...

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2013, 11:57:40 AM »
I feel like Angel's knee is the key to this game.  If he can keep Smart in front of him and stay out of foul trouble we can take this thing to wire.  I greatly fear Smart getting by ART and forcing the "help defense" that results in easy shots and orebs for OSU role players.

On the optimistic side, I want to believe Tay is going to take full advantage of more minutes and really play and shoot well.

This. Watching the ISU game last night, it seems like OSU's offense consists almost entirely of Smart driving the lane, trying to draw a foul, and either lobbing up a shot or dishing the ball. If we can protect the lane, we're going to be in good shape. If our bigs get into foul trouble early, we're in big trouble.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2013, 11:58:10 AM »
A few more numbers; home vs away efficiency and 4 factors for both KSU and OSU. (Big 12 games only)

The Cats TO% and OR% differentials have been the biggest concerns on the road.

For OSU the FT rate advantage at home compared to the road is dramatic and they much better on the boards at home.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2013, 12:01:15 PM »

Can't say, but I can confirm oscar does not mess around with zone defenses. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2013, 12:03:38 PM »

Can't say, but I can confirm oscar does not mess around with zone defenses. 

Not one possession of zone that I can remember. oscar is your classic "man only" defensive guy.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2013, 12:04:37 PM »
A triangle and two would be pretty effective against those guys as long as Forte wasn't on the court.
I don't remember Bill ever going tri&2 in Stillwater, did he ever try it Lawrence?  I had to listen to the 2nd half of that game in the car.  It is a moot point since Weber is m2m man only.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2013, 12:07:31 PM »
Babb was making them look silly athletically last night.  I mean, we have a pretty good shot...

I think _FAN's comment that we're a completely different team now is probably the most pertinent thing.  I mean we've played 16 games since we faced them last.  We're much more balanced and dynamic than we were then.

To me, the key is staying out of foul trouble, keeping them off of the line, and trying to contain the scoring to Smart and Brown.  They'll get theirs.  But if we can contain Forte, Cobbins, and Nash, I think that keeps them in the low 60's, which gives us a good chance.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2013, 12:10:58 PM »
I feel like Angel's knee is the key to this game.  If he can keep Smart in front of him and stay out of foul trouble we can take this thing to wire.  I greatly fear Smart getting by ART and forcing the "help defense" that results in easy shots and orebs for OSU role players.

On the optimistic side, I want to believe Tay is going to take full advantage of more minutes and really play and shoot well.

This. Watching the ISU game last night, it seems like OSU's offense consists almost entirely of Smart driving the lane, trying to draw a foul, and either lobbing up a shot or dishing the ball. If we can protect the lane, we're going to be in good shape. If our bigs get into foul trouble early, we're in big trouble.

I agree with this.

Thoughts on Tay getting the assignment on Smart?

Offline MikeNelson

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2013, 12:14:15 PM »
I don't remember Bill ever going tri&2 in Stillwater, did he ever try it Lawrence?  I had to listen to the 2nd half of that game in the car.  It is a moot point since Weber is m2m man only.

Not that I recall, but it would only work when Forte wasn't on the court.  It could steal us a few possessions, and makes Forte play defense as well.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2013, 12:14:25 PM »
Cobbins worries me. Not sure why.
:adios:

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2013, 12:15:45 PM »
I think a big key for us is slowing down Brown and keeping him in check.

Smart is only 3 of his last 20 from 3. Forte shoots terrible on the road but hits about 40% from 3 at home.

We got to protect the glass. Nash plays a lot at the 4 and his lazy ass only has 6 ORs in his last 10 gms

If Angel gets an early foul on Smart, do we put Tay on him. Or if Tay starts, does he guard Smart from the get go??
We MUST keep Angel on the floor , out of foul trouble.

Offline KanSt43

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2013, 12:18:54 PM »
Cobbins worries me. Not sure why.

Don't be.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2013, 12:19:04 PM »

I agree with this.

If Angel's knee is bothering him, I like it for at least the early parts of the game to keep him out of foul trouble, although he is not great matchup for Brown imo.

Offline MikeNelson

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2013, 12:20:28 PM »

I agree with this.

If Angel's knee is bothering him, I like it for at least the early parts of the game to keep him out of foul trouble, although he is not great matchup for Brown imo.

McGruds should be on Brown all game.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2013, 12:27:26 PM »

I agree with this.

McGruds should be on Brown all game.
I agree as soon as they take Juric out and go small, but McG will have to be on Nash or Cobbins. 

I just hope to hell we can at least get to the under 12 without anyone picking up 2 fouls.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2013, 12:27:41 PM »
Start Tay and keep him on Smart as much as possible.

Lately OSU has been starting Smart, Brown, Nash, Cobbins, and Jurrick.

So that probably means;
Tay - Smart
Angel - Brown
Rod - Nash
Shane - Cobbins
JO - Jurrick

The last 4 games Forte has played less than 20 minutes, not sure what's going on there.