Author Topic: Offal: Nose to Tail Cooking (NOW WITH PICTURES PER REQUEST OF SD)  (Read 17550 times)

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Offal: Nose to Tail Cooking (NOW WITH PICTURES PER REQUEST OF SD)
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2013, 09:52:42 AM »
I know a small timey local morgue that sells people heads for $2.50/lb.   If you pay extra they'll leave the boogers in so you can do whatever you sickos do with that sort of thing.

Also, I bet if you cut a deal with animal control you could probably score some pre-flattened cats.  Very tender.

v dumb post

Not if it's true...

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
Re: Offal: Nose to Tail Cooking (NOW WITH PICTURES PER REQUEST OF SD)
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2013, 12:36:12 PM »
Alright so. Should say that I've never had head cheese before, nor have I made it before this attempt. First, I'll explain the process...

Make a braising liquid. I ended up using stock, rosemary, thyme, peppercorns, cloves, star anise, fennel seed, and sautéed mirepoix (and maybe some other stuff, but I can't remember). Boil it for around 2 hours, until flavorful.

Roast some pistachios in the mean time. Set aside.

Strain your braising liquid. Bring oven to 300. Set your pig head into a braising pot big enough to allow for at least half of the head to be covered by the braising liquid. Pour braising liquid over head. Cover or tent with foil. Place in oven. If the head isn't entirely covered, baste every once in a while. Braise for 3 and 1/2 to 4 hours (possibly longer; until the jaw can easily be removed from the head and meat is easily removed, but not completely disintegrating).

Remove the head and place on a carving board. Let cool a little and begin taking off all the meat and fat you can with your fingers, separating the meat and the fat into two different bowls. Keep a bowl of ice water next to your work space to cool your fingers. You can use the tongue or other parts if you want, but I discarded them. If using the tongue, be sure to peel it before chopping into tiny chunks.

Once the braising liquid has cooled, skim the fat and debris. Run through a cheesecloth if you want.

In a mixing bowl, take the separated meat and fat and combine to make about a 90% meat to 10% fat mixture. Pour enough braising liquid into bowl to cover the mixture. Add pistachios and about 2 cups parsley. Mix, but not too thoroughly. You don't want the fat to completely dissolve. Make sure the parsley and pistachios are mixed evenly throughout. Add a tablespoon of white whine vinegar at a time to taste. The vinegar taste will not be as strong once the terrine has set. Add salt. Do not over salt. Pepper. Mix gently.

Line a deep bread pan or terrine mold with plastic wrap. Pour the mixture into the mold. Wrap the entire thing with plastic wrap and put in the fridge over night. When it has firmed up, to remove from the pan, unwrap, and then flip over the pan on a flat plate or cutting board. Tap or pull the underlying plastic rap and it should look something like this.

I think I used too much liquid in my mixture and it came out a little too delicate and gelatin-y. Here is an example of a cross section that was done right.

It can vary from more delicate to more meat based.

Serve with bread, dijon mustard, and pickled vegetables. I also used some roasted onions.

Mine was almost spreadable. Super porky and pretty meh for the effort that went into it. I was able to save the rest of the basting liquid for a hearty and flavorful broth, but overall I don't know if I will go through the effort for such a small yield of something that isn't absolutely mind blowing. I can see where this has its place at butcher shops and it was fun to try, but for an at home kitchen, where you have to go out of your way to make it, I'd much rather utilize the head in a way that will give me a ton more food or base ingredients that will last me a lot longer.

Still have one more head. What to do?

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2013, 12:39:35 PM »
thats the grossest thing ive ever seen
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »

throw it in a ditch and let the squirrels eat it

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2013, 12:42:40 PM »

prolly bears at this point.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2013, 12:46:17 PM »

prolly bears at this point.

Even better.  Will make it go away faster than squirrels.

Good lord.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2013, 01:00:47 PM »
i saw this guy make head cheese on triple-d (starts at the 3:55 mark)

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2013, 01:09:37 PM »
I would be thrilled if my first attempt at head cheese came out that well.  Looks good.

Had some amazing sweetbreads at the Kitchen Door in Napa.  There wasn't any offal that really caught my eye at Incanto in SF, so I shared what was essentially a giant oxtail pot pie with my GF.  Did have a backfat porcini mushroom that was really good.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2013, 01:20:20 PM »
I would be thrilled if my first attempt at head cheese came out that well.  Looks good.

Had some amazing sweetbreads at the Kitchen Door in Napa.  There wasn't any offal that really caught my eye at Incanto in SF, so I shared what was essentially a giant oxtail pot pie with my GF.  Did have a backfat porcini mushroom that was really good.

that sounds incredible.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2013, 02:09:03 PM »
wtf is wrong with you people
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2013, 02:11:39 PM »

Yeah, more difficult/exotic doesn't always mean better tasting. 

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2013, 02:12:01 PM »
So that's head cheese. 

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2013, 04:24:55 PM »

I think I was pretty fair about it. Not sitting here saying its the best thing since corned pork tongue or anything. Never said it was incredible.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2013, 04:29:10 PM »

I think I was pretty fair about it. Not sitting here saying its the best thing since corned pork tongue or anything. Never said it was incredible.

You were fair.  Not commenting on this specific event.  Basically commenting on the chase for such a thing through difficult methods and how just because something is difficult doesn't mean it is going to be good tasting.

I guess if you like exploratory cooking, more power to you, but I prefer starting with something I have a high probability of liking, and then making it better than what I can get elsewhere.

To each his own though.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2013, 05:13:30 PM »

You were fair.  Not commenting on this specific event.  Basically commenting on the chase for such a thing through difficult methods and how just because something is difficult doesn't mean it is going to be good tasting.

I guess if you like exploratory cooking, more power to you, but I prefer starting with something I have a high probability of liking, and then making it better than what I can get elsewhere.

To each his own though.

I think you are missing the point of this type of cooking. While it is adventurous to most, the idea and philosophy is premised more on changing the current paradigm of what food is and where it comes from.  I look at it as a practice in responsible food consumption in addition to a challenge in cook. For every slab of pork belly used to create bacon, or for every set of pork ribs, pork chops, etc (read: typical pig edibles), there is a head, there is a tail, there are 4 sets of hoofs, there are entrails and guts. Most of the pig is being thrown away and completely neglected because of the average person's perception that those parts are the only parts of the pig (or any animal for that matter) worth eating. When you examine what it takes to feed this country and the food system that has been built since the 50's, you realize that it isn't sustainable, and that it is entirely irresponsible for people to demand to eat sirloin, chicken breast, and bacon exclusively. That demand has caused hellacious things to go on in large food production, ranging from meat to crops. I do like exploratory cooking, and I like challenging myself in technique, prep, and method, but those are in addition to attempting to change the way I approach food as a whole. That being said, taste is always paramount in any cook that I take on. Like I said, I don't think I will go through the effort required to make headcheese when I know there are other more delicious and productive ways to use it. Once people realize it is just meat, and that it is made of the same things the rest of the pig is made of, it becomes food. What you decide what to do with it is on you. Throw it away and waste a huge portion of an animal or use it and benefit from the task.

Offline AST

• nip nip weiner
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2013, 05:26:16 PM »
big fan of this thread, keep it coming asava

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2013, 05:41:10 PM »
big fan of this thread, keep it coming asava

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2013, 09:29:07 PM »

To each his own though.

I think you are missing the point of this type of cooking. While it is adventurous to most, the idea and philosophy is premised more on changing the current paradigm of what food is and where it comes from.  I look at it as a practice in responsible food consumption in addition to a challenge in cook. For every slab of pork belly used to create bacon, or for every set of pork ribs, pork chops, etc (read: typical pig edibles), there is a head, there is a tail, there are 4 sets of hoofs, there are entrails and guts. Most of the pig is being thrown away and completely neglected because of the average person's perception that those parts are the only parts of the pig (or any animal for that matter) worth eating. When you examine what it takes to feed this country and the food system that has been built since the 50's, you realize that it isn't sustainable, and that it is entirely irresponsible for people to demand to eat sirloin, chicken breast, and bacon exclusively. That demand has caused hellacious things to go on in large food production, ranging from meat to crops. I do like exploratory cooking, and I like challenging myself in technique, prep, and method, but those are in addition to attempting to change the way I approach food as a whole. That being said, taste is always paramount in any cook that I take on. Like I said, I don't think I will go through the effort required to make headcheese when I know there are other more delicious and productive ways to use it. Once people realize it is just meat, and that it is made of the same things the rest of the pig is made of, it becomes food. What you decide what to do with it is on you. Throw it away and waste a huge portion of an animal or use it and benefit from the task.

great post, bro :thumbs:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2013, 09:33:16 PM »
could you just call it sausage?

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2013, 09:44:11 PM »
While I agree with parts of your post, if you think "Most of the pig is being thrown away and completely neglected" you are sorely mistaken. The reason you don't see pig heads  or other offal in grocery stores is because most Americans won't buy it (due to the average person's perceptions; like you mentioned). There is regional demand for certain products; like pigs feet or cracklins in the south. A large majority of offal gets shipped overseas where there is a market for it. Some of it (like cheek meat) is used in products without the knowledge of most consumers here in the U.S. I agree that it takes more resources to ship offal to China rather than just having someone in the U.S. eat it, but I think as perceptions change (more Food network chefs start using offal on TV, people start seeing it more in restaurants as cultures mesh together, people travel more, etc.) you will see more people willing to experiment and eat the "not normal" animal products here in the U.S. And I do agree with this "Once people realize it is just meat, and that it is made of the same things the rest of the pig is made of, it becomes food." Anyway, keep posting your offal cooking adventures, I think they are pretty cool to see.
I'm purple down

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 04, 2013, 09:47:22 PM »
I think you should call it "chopped sausage".  You can put it in the foods you invented thread.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 05, 2013, 01:30:27 AM »
I think you should call it "chopped sausage".  You can put it in the foods you invented thread.

Really funny you say this. The shop whose recipe I used stopped calling it headcheese and started labeling it "pork terrine" because it wasn't selling. As soon as they changed the name it became one of their more popular items. Lady Asava won't even come near it because I accidentally called it headcheese. Pretty crazy how much impact it actually has, but I can't say I disagree. Headcheese sounds disgusting.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 05, 2013, 06:33:57 AM »

To each his own though.

I agree with the idea of this post.  Only problem is, in commercial processing they use everything down to the bones and blood after running them through rendering plants.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 05, 2013, 10:08:14 AM »

To each his own though.

I agree with the idea of this post.  Only problem is, in commercial processing they use everything down to the bones and blood after running them through rendering plants.

Don't know if they do. Have been to a couple meat processing plants that discard or have stockpiles of these types of cuts. The ones that I am aware of doing this aren't typically using them entirely for human consumption (cat and dog food, gruel, etc...), but there are similar processes being used in most hot dog manufacturing. Part of the problem also has to do with the fact that several of the animals themselves become altered to cater to these choice cuts. We end up with chickens that have unnaturally large breasts and pigs that are triple their normal size. Part of the thought process is to not only eliminate the reliance on standard cuts, but to also increase reliance on local sources of food, to eat products that are in season, and to gain a greater depth of knowledge on the entire process behind putting a burger on my plate. I'm not saying that commercial farming is absolute evil, either. Its saved saved countless people from starvation and fed our country for the past 70 or so years, but I'm just saying a lot has been sacrificed as a result.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 05, 2013, 10:14:08 AM »
While I agree with parts of your post, if you think "Most of the pig is being thrown away and completely neglected" you are sorely mistaken. The reason you don't see pig heads  or other offal in grocery stores is because most Americans won't buy it (due to the average person's perceptions; like you mentioned). There is regional demand for certain products; like pigs feet or cracklins in the south. A large majority of offal gets shipped overseas where there is a market for it. Some of it (like cheek meat) is used in products without the knowledge of most consumers here in the U.S. I agree that it takes more resources to ship offal to China rather than just having someone in the U.S. eat it, but I think as perceptions change (more Food network chefs start using offal on TV, people start seeing it more in restaurants as cultures mesh together, people travel more, etc.) you will see more people willing to experiment and eat the "not normal" animal products here in the U.S. And I do agree with this "Once people realize it is just meat, and that it is made of the same things the rest of the pig is made of, it becomes food." Anyway, keep posting your offal cooking adventures, I think they are pretty cool to see.

Agree with pretty much everything in this post. I do think there is a culture change in America coming about with food. I just think its gonna take time.