Author Topic: Offal: Nose to Tail Cooking (NOW WITH PICTURES PER REQUEST OF SD)  (Read 17578 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Offal: Nose to Tail Cooking (NOW WITH PICTURES PER REQUEST OF SD)
« Reply #100 on: June 05, 2013, 10:15:05 AM »
asava, if that's your goal you should be eating bugs 3 meals a day

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 05, 2013, 10:19:54 AM »

actually have looked into it. not very many edible bugs around this area. any pro tips?

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2013, 12:33:24 PM »
ate at Bestia in LA this weekend and holy crap it was good  :lick:  if you ever go there I highly recommend the roasted gizzards and the bone marrow pasta dish. anyway, we were eating the bone marrow and started talking about whether I could use bone marrow from deer?  on one hand I've heard that all bone marrow basically tastes similar no matter what animal it comes from but I started looking online and some people commented that they've eaten marrow and liked it but venison marrow tasted awful.  anyone have any pro tips?  if it's as good as beef marrow I may need to buy another deep freeze because I'd probably have free access to as much as I wanted during deer season.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2013, 12:35:22 PM »

actually have looked into it. not very many edible bugs around this area. any pro tips?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2013, 07:41:26 PM »
My elementary principle fried worms for the sixth graders at the end of the year.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 08, 2013, 09:57:19 AM »
I wasn't very prepared when I field dressed my buck (no ziploc bags) to save the organs.  I did tell the butcher to cut the bones for me so I'm going to try the marrow.  there's not going to be nearly as much as a cow, but he was a huge bodied buck, so there should be at least enough there to get a taste. 

I'm planning on getting a doe and I think I'm going to try some offal.  :ohno:  obviously the liver can be cooked just like a beef liver and I've read some good things about venison heart tartare.  I'm definitely not going to be one of those dipshits that takes a bite out of the heart in the field, but I did feel pretty wasteful leaving all the perfectly good organs in the gut pile for the coyotes.  not sure I'm prepared to try brains yet and I don't think there would be enough cheek meat on a doe to even bother with.

any of you hunters have any experience eating anything but the meat?
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2013, 10:26:07 AM »
I wasn't very prepared when I field dressed my buck (no ziploc bags) to save the organs.  I did tell the butcher to cut the bones for me so I'm going to try the marrow.  there's not going to be nearly as much as a cow, but he was a huge bodied buck, so there should be at least enough there to get a taste. 

I'm planning on getting a doe and I think I'm going to try some offal.  :ohno:  obviously the liver can be cooked just like a beef liver and I've read some good things about venison heart tartare.  I'm definitely not going to be one of those dipshits that takes a bite out of the heart in the field, but I did feel pretty wasteful leaving all the perfectly good organs in the gut pile for the coyotes.  not sure I'm prepared to try brains yet and I don't think there would be enough cheek meat on a doe to even bother with.

I've had deer liver before. Did a little looking around, found these...

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/other/recipes/2004/12/adventures-venison

http://gocarnivore.com/tag/offal/

I imagine you can accomplish a lot with the rest of the animal. Stews would be a good vehicle for liver and kidneys, etc. Use those bones to create a stock. I've never done it, but have heard some positive things. I have a book at home that I will check for any deer offal recipes. I seem to remember there being at least one.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2013, 10:50:57 AM »

#FridaySnackOff

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2013, 01:12:16 PM »

I imagine you can accomplish a lot with the rest of the animal. Stews would be a good vehicle for liver and kidneys, etc. Use those bones to create a stock. I've never done it, but have heard some positive things. I have a book at home that I will check for any deer offal recipes. I seem to remember there being at least one.
I always make all the bones from my deer into stock, you can get alot of it, and since i eat most of my deer in chili form, it just makes good sense.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 08, 2013, 01:22:52 PM »

I always make all the bones from my deer into stock, you can get alot of it, and since i eat most of my deer in chili form, it just makes good sense.

what is the flavor profile? do you get the gameyness in it?

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2013, 01:35:35 PM »

not really offal related, but I had my first pleasant experience with dealing with a butcher on wednesday.  he agreed to hang it for me for a week to let it age.  he tried to tell me it wouldn't do any good since there's no fat (which is a myth, by the way) and there'd be a bunch of mold that he'd have to cut off and I'd lose meat, but then he told me he'd be careful and not cut too much off.  then I asked him about the bones for marrow and he said he'd never heard of that and they'd be really small compared to cows, but he'd cut the bones for me on this one to see if I liked it.  first time I've ever dealt with a butcher that was anything but a grumpy old bastard that treated me like a pain in his ass.  kid in his 20's, so he probably hasn't been hardened like the rest of them.

anyway, I'm really interested to see how the flavor is different after it's aged.  I've never had the ability or a proper place to let a deer age before but everything I've read says it makes a world of difference in flavor and texture.  apparently it makes it really tender and takes away a lot of the "gameyness."

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 08, 2013, 03:53:15 PM »

not really offal related, but I had my first pleasant experience with dealing with a butcher on wednesday.  he agreed to hang it for me for a week to let it age.  he tried to tell me it wouldn't do any good since there's no fat (which is a myth, by the way) and there'd be a bunch of mold that he'd have to cut off and I'd lose meat, but then he told me he'd be careful and not cut too much off.  then I asked him about the bones for marrow and he said he'd never heard of that and they'd be really small compared to cows, but he'd cut the bones for me on this one to see if I liked it.  first time I've ever dealt with a butcher that was anything but a grumpy old bastard that treated me like a pain in his ass.  kid in his 20's, so he probably hasn't been hardened like the rest of them.

anyway, I'm really interested to see how the flavor is different after it's aged.  I've never had the ability or a proper place to let a deer age before but everything I've read says it makes a world of difference in flavor and texture.  apparently it makes it really tender and takes away a lot of the "gameyness."

That is all i have read about deer meat, that you absolutely have to let it age to get the best out of it. i'm assuming the dude has a space set up with the proper conditions?

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 08, 2013, 04:12:38 PM »
yeah. I mean, it's a meat processing facility so I'm sure he'll just hang it where they hang the beef to age.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 08, 2013, 04:33:23 PM »

That is all i have read about deer meat, that you absolutely have to let it age to get the best out of it. i'm assuming the dude has a space set up with the proper conditions?
Tell the grumps to spray down the inner cavity with a spritzer bottle full of vinegar/water, this will prevent mold from forming on the meat, though you will loose some meat to rind formation, but the meat underneath will be more tender and less gamey.

Flavor profile tastes like normal stock you might get at the grocers... not gamey even if the meat that was on it has some.  i make mine off an alton brown recipe for chicken stock, in that i add onion/celery/carrots/spices (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/chicken-stock-recipe/index.html)  I use it mostly for chili (really like chili, you guise) but i've used it in soups and stews too.

You end up with alot of stock, in the past i'd freeze the stock in 1qt mason jars, but they can burst if you overfill and it takes up alot of freezer space.  This season i think i might buy a pressure canner so i can just can the stock. 

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 20, 2013, 05:06:41 PM »
im about to bone a ton of chicken thighs, is it worth it to throw the skin and bones into a pot to cook up some chicken stock?

low homeade stock iq

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 20, 2013, 05:18:54 PM »
Why are you boning a bunch of chicken thighs?  Having some sort of chicken party or something I guess.  Can't you just buy them deboned?  Seems like a pretty gross thing to have to do. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 20, 2013, 05:20:06 PM »
Why are you boning a bunch of chicken thighs?  Having some sort of chicken party or something I guess.  Can't you just buy them deboned?  Seems like a pretty gross thing to have to do.

i think you can but not where i went. i looked up on youtube and its easy.

its not gross at all to a #2boner like myself.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 20, 2013, 05:21:07 PM »
Don't get salmonella or some other chicken meat disease. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 20, 2013, 05:21:39 PM »
So I take it that's a canco on the chicken party then?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 20, 2013, 05:24:03 PM »
i bought them to make a bunch of chicken satay and teryaki skewers for last saturdays tailgate but never actually got around to it.

so it was for a party but now its probably for a party of me eating them for lunch for a week

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 20, 2013, 05:24:31 PM »
im about to bone a ton of chicken thighs, is it worth it to throw the skin and bones into a pot to cook up some chicken stock?

low homeade stock iq

i don't see why not. definitely don't let it go to waste. if you want you can make a broth for various types of soups or ramen. i'd roast the bones and the bits for a few in the oven before hand to get more flavor out of your stock/broth. if you are doing a stock, roast, throw in a rolling boil of water for about an hour (skimming the fat off as you go), remove, then veggies and hardy herbs (onion, celery, carrot, clove, thyme, or whatever you feel like and have around) for another 45 minutes, remove. it would be best if you could strain that with a cheesecloth, but skimming through it with a tight mesh strainer would also work) and then you are good to go. if you want to intensify the flavor use more chicken bits or repeat the chicken part a few times (if you are doing a boil for over 3 hours you should replenish the stock with a cup water every now and then during the first couple hours).

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 20, 2013, 05:28:01 PM »
yes, of course on stock.

i used to feed my dog all of my extra deer parts.  he liked them.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 20, 2013, 05:30:50 PM »
yes, of course on stock.

i used to feed my dog all of my extra deer parts.  he liked them.

dogs dig antlers like they are made of crack.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 20, 2013, 05:33:02 PM »
Had Monkfish Liver sushi the other day.  It was very very good

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 20, 2013, 07:34:36 PM »
ewwwww