Author Topic: K-State Track  (Read 29697 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: K-State Track
« Reply #175 on: June 28, 2022, 03:25:54 PM »
She's amaze and so is her insta

followed

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 28, 2022, 04:13:52 PM »
Janee Kassanavoid finished second in the hammer at the US Championships last weekend, which means she'll be competing in the world championships in a couple of weeks (for the first time ever, the world championships will be held in the U.S. in the self-annointed "track town USA" aka Eugene). She's currently ranked sixth in the world and has a decent chance to medal.

The K-State SID folks suck with track, so hard to say if Kassanavoid will be the only alum competing, but the official start list should be up in another week or so.

https://twitter.com/KStateTFXC/status/1541451291154698240

Great for her.

Less than impressed with the crowds I'm seeing for major meets in Eugene. 

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 28, 2022, 04:28:54 PM »
Janee Kassanavoid finished second in the hammer at the US Championships last weekend, which means she'll be competing in the world championships in a couple of weeks (for the first time ever, the world championships will be held in the U.S. in the self-annointed "track town USA" aka Eugene). She's currently ranked sixth in the world and has a decent chance to medal.

The K-State SID folks suck with track, so hard to say if Kassanavoid will be the only alum competing, but the official start list should be up in another week or so.

https://twitter.com/KStateTFXC/status/1541451291154698240

Great for her.

Less than impressed with the crowds I'm seeing for major meets in Eugene.

I've been beating the drum about the Eugene crowds for years, now.

Also, she could crush me like an anaconda with those thighs!  :eek:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 28, 2022, 04:51:02 PM »
Locals who used to go are backing away apparently.  It all got very corporate after they built the new facility.

Stories of the locals taking vacation during the big meets to attend and being able to buy discounted tickets at the old track etc. etc. 

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 28, 2022, 08:39:39 PM »
Locals who used to go are backing away apparently.  It all got very corporate after they built the new facility.

Stories of the locals taking vacation during the big meets to attend and being able to buy discounted tickets at the old track etc. etc.

My view of Eugene is that it received the hype of "Track Town" mostly because of comparisons to how much most of the other cities across the U.S. care about track (which is to say that, outside of a few annual events that draw well, most people don't care). Because Eugene "kind of" cared, it became the standard bearer in the U.S. (which still pales in comparison to most international cities that host major meets).

Eugene is also - by far - the smallest city to host a track world championship meet in the last 30 years.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 28, 2022, 09:54:58 PM »

My view of Eugene is that it received the hype of "Track Town" mostly because of comparisons to how much most of the other cities across the U.S. care about track (which is to say that, outside of a few annual events that draw well, most people don't care). Because Eugene "kind of" cared, it became the standard bearer in the U.S. (which still pales in comparison to most international cities that host major meets).

Eugene is also - by far - the smallest city to host a track world championship meet in the last 30 years.

I agree, no doubt those are all substantial factors and yes T&F is much bigger in Europe.  American's are far too short attention span theater for most track and field meets. 

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 28, 2022, 10:38:27 PM »
The other piece is that if the IAAF was set on the meet being in the U.S., there are probably less than 10 Class 1 tracks in the country.

I went to a meet at Randall's Island in NY shortly after it opened in 2004 or 2005 and if I remember correctly, it was the only Class 1 track in the country at that time.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 29, 2022, 12:09:56 AM »
Rock Chalked "longterm lease" Park is a Class 1 rated facility.

RV Christian Track has the same surface.

Beynon BSS-2000

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 03, 2022, 12:51:54 PM »
Helluva vault

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 15, 2022, 04:10:07 PM »
For the track nerds - World Championships started today. Fair bit of it is on TV (schedule link below).

Kassanavoid already threw in the prelims this morning and advanced with the best mark in her group.

Results:
https://worldathletics.org/competitions/world-athletics-championships/oregon22/timetable

TV/Streaming Schedule:
https://www.letsrun.com/news/2022/07/television-and-streaming-information-for-2022-world-athletics-championships-in-eugene/

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 17, 2022, 11:40:36 AM »
One of my college bffs is a major track geek.  He is in Eugene for the 10 day event.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 17, 2022, 02:52:28 PM »
Less than stellar crowds so far...

Kassanavoid takes the bronze and another American wins gold (first time the U.S. has captured two podium spots in the hammer at the world championships)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 24, 2022, 10:05:29 PM »
That crap was lit! :excited:

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 26, 2023, 03:12:12 PM »
Kassanovoid takes silver in the hammer at the world championships - just needs a gold to complete her set.

https://www.teamusa.com/news/2023/august/24/proud-night-for-u-s-women-hammer-throwers-as-janee-kassanavoid-and-deanna-price-win-silver-and-bronze-at-worlds

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 26, 2023, 03:36:57 PM »
Hell Yeah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 26, 2023, 03:38:31 PM »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 18, 2023, 02:18:12 PM »
Pretty cool

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 18, 2023, 03:01:54 PM »
take it to the boner thread

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 24, 2023, 02:53:44 PM »
On the ask the AD, they showed the new indoor track/old indoor football and it looks like a completely different place.  Bright, all new lighting, pending the arrival of the new banked oval and sprinting/jumps/vault straight lanes and runways.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 24, 2023, 09:39:35 PM »
On the ask the AD, they showed the new indoor track/old indoor football and it looks like a completely different place.  Bright, all new lighting, pending the arrival of the new banked oval and sprinting/jumps/vault straight lanes and runways.

Track nerds rejoice - really hoping it can be a conference meet level facility (but, preparing to be disappointed)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 09:47:13 PM by Kid In the Hall »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 26, 2023, 08:33:27 AM »
What would it take for the Cats to upgrade to an all-around elite CC and TF program? Good tradition in jumps, throws and combined events but lacking in elite sprinters and distance runners? Is it just a bad climate for sprinting in the Little Apple?

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 26, 2023, 10:09:06 AM »
What would it take for the Cats to upgrade to an all-around elite CC and TF program? Good tradition in jumps, throws and combined events but lacking in elite sprinters and distance runners? Is it just a bad climate for sprinting in the Little Apple?

Relocating to a different state?

CC/T&F isn't fully funded, so the women's teams get 18 schollies and the men's teams get 12.6. So, you're dividing up those schollies among rosters of 30-40 athletes. The big population states have a massive advantage because they can offer in-state tuition and so if you're going to receive a quarter or half scholarship, that makes a big difference. If you're from Florida and have the choice between going to Florida on a 1/4 scholarship or K-State on a 3/4 scholarship, you're probably picking Florida because it's still cheaper, closer to home, etc.

So, there's that. Beyond that, I think Rovelto's approach somewhat makes sense in that you pick 1-2 events and try and be elite in those events. The problem is that the high jump isn't the best event to choose because it's not as much of a combo event as others. That's to say, an elite high jumper might be elite at another event, but that's not nearly as likely as an elite long jumper also being elite at the triple jump (which means one scholarship athlete scoring a lot of points in both events). Same thing for sprinters (100m/200m or 200m/400m or hurdlers, or throwers, etc.). Obviously, those combo athletes are the most highly desired, so it's tough.

There's also somewhat of a philosophical decision as it relates to competing at the national or conference level and which is more important. You can load up your roster with "pretty good" talent that can rack up points at a conference meet by finishing 4th-5th-6th-7th-8th, but also know that those athletes don't stand a chance at the national meet. Or, you can take the approach that the national meets matter more and throw most of your scholarships at elite athletes who can score nationally, but you probably won't do well at a conference meet because you've dumped all your scholarships into a small handful of athletes. Again, the large population states have the advantage because they can give an in-state kid a 1/4 scholarship and then give elite athletes 3/4 scholarships - a place like K-State doesn't have that luxury because there aren't a ton of elite in-state kids.

It certainly can be done, but if you look at the NCAA champions on the men's and women's sides in the last 10 years, it's mostly the same crop of schools - Florida, LSU, Oregon, A&M on the men's side and LSU, Texas, USC, Florida, Oregon on the women's side.

KU won the outdoor title on the women's side in 2013 - I don't remember for certain, but I think they had an elite sprinter, an elite thrower, a hep athlete and maybe a pole vaulter who scored most of the points for them.

Bottom line for me - it's possible, but it's always going to be an uphill challenge and it'll take a special coach like Rovelto to make it happen. That's why the indoor facility is key - there really are a limited number of elite indoor facilities around the country. If we can make ours elite and follow the Arkansas model, it could give us a huge boost.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 27, 2023, 05:45:05 PM »
Yeah, it's a simple issue about what we offer the athletes. I have friends who have a son who is a top cross country runner in the state, mom is a K-State grad and the kid has grown up in the Manhattan area, attending K-State sporting events. As of now, he's probably not going to run at K-State because they aren't offering much more than books. If the offer changes they'll consider K-State, they want him to run there, but right now it just doesn't make fiscal sense to do so.