Author Topic: KSU Booze Cats  (Read 572941 times)

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: KSU Booze Cats 2014
« Reply #3800 on: April 10, 2014, 12:52:04 AM »
I have the same issue with watching video on kstatehd.tv, fwiw.

While i agree that an outdoor sport would be better served if all of its participants were able to begin practice at the same time, it would be unprecedented (i believe, factCats?) for regular season competition to extend that far into the non-scholastic segment of the year.   Sure student athletes wouldn't have to contend with class any longer, but what about the things that usually busy student athletes in the summertime?  I know my company has hired members of the basketball team to work as summer interns and while Frank had a fit about them missing some voluntary workouts over the summer, they was ultimately allowed to take the position.  One of which now works for us full time.   So, in this scenario, how would a baseball player expect to explore work opportunities like his peers if hes expected to fulfill scholarship obligations all summer?   It might be an edge case, but its worth thinking about.
uh, what? They just enroll in 6 hours or more of summer classes vs going to play summer ball for the Hays Larks or Rossville Rattlers. Baseball players don't have time for internships anyway. I'd argue it has the the biggest time commitment of all the olympic college sports.

To go off what TownieCat said, yes, an argument against this would be minor league/rookie ball leagues. There are fall leagues, though.   

Super interesting points.   The summer leagues are for dudes trying to impress scouts, for one reason or another.   The Cape Cod league is the only one that still draws scouts on a large basis.   It sucks but even the NBC tournament is a ghost of what it once was.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: April 10, 2014, 01:56:58 AM »
Watching the reply of the game right now on TimeWarner (just got back from the Royals game) with Mike Clark and Smoller discussing the possibility of moving the college baseball a month to alleviate the advantage warmer weather states have (SEC, Big West, Pac12) over the states that have winter.

Things I found intriguing:
1. Big 12 coaches voted unanimously, in an informal poll, in favor for the one month push. :surprised:
2. Big 10 might have more than 2 teams make the tourney.  :Lurk:
3. Conference games mid April-June, uh hello summer staycation you lucky townies.  :Woohoo:
4. CWS over the 4th of July.  :Carl:
5. Push for Iowa State to get baseball back???   :Lurk:

I think this will also help beer sells, imo.

But seriously, this would be amazing if it were to happen.

Makes sense to me.   Curious how baseball fits in with the Title IX stuff with ISU.   Seems like they're subbing baseball for wrestling and that's not going to change.   :dunno:

Title IX doesn't seem like it should be a problem with regard to baseball at ISU. They have softball, gymnastics, soccer, and swimming and diving in addition to the usual womens sports; volleyball, golf, tennis, track, etc.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: April 10, 2014, 07:20:02 AM »
I know nothing about ISU sports but they seem like they would have a bunch of weird mens sports. being as iowa'y as they are.

Offline Matt Siebrant's Left Hand

• Combo-Fan
  • I'm a Cat person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: April 10, 2014, 07:09:32 PM »
Watching the reply of the game right now on TimeWarner (just got back from the Royals game) with Mike Clark and Smoller discussing the possibility of moving the college baseball a month to alleviate the advantage warmer weather states have (SEC, Big West, Pac12) over the states that have winter.

1. Big 12 coaches voted unanimously, in an informal poll, in favor for the one month push. :surprised:
3. Conference games mid April-June, uh hello summer staycation you lucky townies.  :Woohoo:

Makes sense to me.   Curious how baseball fits in with the Title IX stuff with ISU.   Seems like they're subbing baseball for wrestling and that's not going to change.   :dunno:

Title IX doesn't seem like it should be a problem with regard to baseball at ISU. They have softball, gymnastics, soccer, and swimming and diving in addition to the usual womens sports; volleyball, golf, tennis, track, etc.
Plus the wrestling program has got to be a money pit for them- traditions aside. 

I'm fully aware baseball doesn't make that much money, but the month back push would help the north teams with more non con home games hence sell more tickets.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: April 10, 2014, 10:30:49 PM »

Plus the wrestling program has got to be a money pit for them- traditions aside. 

I'm fully aware baseball doesn't make that much money, but the month back push would help the north teams with more non con home games hence sell more tickets.

What's funny is that they're not great in wrestling anymore either. The wrestling version of Fred Hoiberg, Cael Sanderson, left his alma mater for Penn State and built them into the best wrestling school in America, meanwhile ISU has toiled in mediocrity since he left.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: April 11, 2014, 12:59:48 AM »

What's funny is that they're not great in wrestling anymore either. The wrestling version of Fred Hoiberg, Cael Sanderson, left his alma mater for Penn State and built them into the best wrestling school in America, meanwhile ISU has toiled in mediocrity since he left.

I feel like wrestling can't be a terribly expensive sport.   How many guys are on a squad?  Like twenty?   And I doubt they're on full rides, either.   

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: April 11, 2014, 02:35:37 AM »
Batcats!  :Woohoo:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: April 11, 2014, 02:57:20 AM »

No, Sanderson worked as an assistant on the ISU staff while he was still training for international competition. Hoiberg worked in the front office for the Timberwolves. It's not the same. Sanderson is also an olympic gold medalist.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: April 11, 2014, 02:58:10 AM »
I don't even care if you were baiting me. That's not accurate.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: April 11, 2014, 08:56:49 AM »

Yeah, let's get this thing back on track. Is Tech any good? We swept them last year, including a couple of dick stompings on Saturday and Sunday.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3810 on: April 11, 2014, 09:05:03 AM »
Yea, take this wrestling bullshit to the appropriate thread. None of us GAF.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: April 11, 2014, 09:38:56 AM »

Yeah, let's get this thing back on track. Is Tech any good? We swept them last year, including a couple of dick stompings on Saturday and Sunday.

they're pretty good..  :cheese: if we win this series

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: April 11, 2014, 12:16:51 PM »
Suck it Huskers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huskers bullpen supposedly has been owning the past 2 weeks except for when we played.  Also possibly good news but I think we've faced the 2 best pitching staffs in the big 12.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

KU has one of the two best staffs in the conference?!   Weird.    :sdeek:
They returned their whole weekend rotation from last year.

Was the friday guy the best of the rotation?  I asked beems, but holding true to form he ran around mocking the board for ku post and got in a pissing match with daxwhile ignoring a real question.  So it remains a mystery that i dont feel like looking up.  I know Duncan absolutely owned us.

sent from my phone while in the crapper

The Friday pitcher against K-State was Piche.  He's normally a closer, but he has been struggling this season, so they experimented with him at starter.  Needless to say, the experiment didn't work out so well.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: April 11, 2014, 12:24:32 PM »
That's a unique approach to take a reliever who is struggling and make them a starter.

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: April 11, 2014, 01:01:30 PM »
We have to take at least 2 of 3 this weekend. If we don't we are mumped.

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: April 11, 2014, 01:54:01 PM »
Suck it Huskers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huskers bullpen supposedly has been owning the past 2 weeks except for when we played.  Also possibly good news but I think we've faced the 2 best pitching staffs in the big 12.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

KU has one of the two best staffs in the conference?!   Weird.    :sdeek:
They returned their whole weekend rotation from last year.

Was the friday guy the best of the rotation?  I asked beems, but holding true to form he ran around mocking the board for ku post and got in a pissing match with daxwhile ignoring a real question.  So it remains a mystery that i dont feel like looking up.  I know Duncan absolutely owned us.

sent from my phone while in the crapper

The Friday pitcher against K-State was Piche.  He's normally a closer, but he has been struggling this season, so they experimented with him at starter.  Needless to say, the experiment didn't work out so well.

meant the original friday that was hurt against OU(?)
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: April 11, 2014, 01:59:47 PM »
Pretty unreal how huge the target on our back is .  wow

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: April 11, 2014, 02:17:47 PM »

everyone's world series
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: April 11, 2014, 02:33:34 PM »

everyone's college world series

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: April 11, 2014, 07:33:14 PM »
go cats go

2-0 cats, bottom of the fourth.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: April 11, 2014, 09:32:57 PM »
:frown:

The Big Train

« Reply #3821 on: April 11, 2014, 09:40:53 PM »
This is rough ridin' bullshit :don'tcare:

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: April 11, 2014, 10:23:14 PM »
5, 0, 3, 3, 2, 1, 4 Errors in each of the last 7 games. Wins in bold.

Plus top 4 hitters (Kivett, Conlon, Fisher, Santigate) are 28-120 (.233) with 4 2B, 1 HR combined over that stretch.

That's plain not going to get it done.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: April 11, 2014, 10:51:18 PM »
This is rough ridin' bullshit :don'tcare:

If it's not, it's at least serious BS.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: April 12, 2014, 08:33:01 AM »