Author Topic: $2M of Athletic Department Revenue being wasted on an indoor rowing training hut  (Read 37265 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
$2M of Athletic Department Revenue being wasted on an indoor rowing training hut
« Reply #150 on: February 15, 2013, 05:15:02 PM »
For reference, and to illustrate how our stadium is in the middle of rough ridin' nowhere and how the pastures and gravel lots surrounding it are not "prime real estate," please see the rest of BigXII stadiums per google maps.

No one disputes the rural surroundings.

It IS prime real estate, because of what it will become someday, and proximity to the OOD and BILL.

Don't waste it on the most ridiculous sport we participate in, AND don't compound the error by making the building look like a student health center from 1964.

It's half assed and negligent.  Something someone who doesn't think they'll be here in 5 years would approve.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
$2M of Athletic Department Revenue being wasted on an indoor rowing training hut
« Reply #151 on: February 15, 2013, 05:17:26 PM »
Also, it's being paid for by football and men's basketball revenue, NOT DONORS.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 15, 2013, 05:19:14 PM »
Only way to mitigate this disaster is to turn it into a bass pond every off-season and have a fishing tournament to raise money for football men's basketball. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The picture posted is the back, and the front is going to look fairly similar to the Kansas Wheat Innovation Center that was just opened across the street. 

It'll be fine.   Good lawd

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Love the idea of a training facility for a specific women's olympic sport. Love that it is near our other premiere athletic facilities. Love the multiple meltdowns happening here. It's like a win win win win for me.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
For reference, and to illustrate how our stadium is in the middle of rough ridin' nowhere and how the pastures and gravel lots surrounding it are not "prime real estate," please see the rest of BigXII stadiums per google maps.

My 3 year old daughter walked, not carried, from the student union to our seats on the west side. She's three Belvis,  three. People have carried goal posts from the stadium to Aggieville. This is amongst the weirdest gripes I have ever seen. I have been to a lot of places and honestly I think KSU and ISU are among the best setups I have ever seen. Any place where you can park at the stadium and tailgate all day and/or walk less than 20 minutes completely through campus and to an elite bar district is awesome. The location of our campus literally allows you to "do whatever you want" and not be inconvenienced. I mean 3 year old girls can make that walk without whining, what are we talking about here?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

My 3 year old daughter walked, not carried, from the student union to our seats on the west side. She's three Belvis,  three. People have carried goal posts from the stadium to Aggieville. This is amongst the weirdest gripes I have ever seen. I have been to a lot of places and honestly I think KSU and ISU are among the best setups I have ever seen. Any place where you can park at the stadium and tailgate all day and/or walk less than 20 minutes completely through campus and to an elite bar district is awesome. The location of our campus literally allows you to "do whatever you want" and not be inconvenienced. I mean 3 year old girls can make that walk without whining, what are we talking about here?

Belvis thinks Jardine is too far to walk to campus without a bus system. I could only imagine what he would think if you were to suggest walking from BSFS to Aggieville.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 15, 2013, 06:37:14 PM »
Love the idea of a training facility for a specific women's olympic sport. Love that it is near our other premiere athletic facilities. Love the multiple meltdowns happening here. It's like a win win win win for me.

You are such a wuss.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
we do not have any money, that is the issue here.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I don't care to reignite the public transit debate.

Regarding walking from a mile from Union to BSFS, congrats to your 3yrold daughter, I guess.  She sounds like a badass.  Don't really know what that has to do with anything, though.   :dunno:

I just like on campus stadiums - much like downtown ballparks.  Not real controversial IMO.  Since ours is out there, I favor building out campus towards the stadium.  Our administration favors it as well.

And that gravel lot ain't prime real estate.  Sorry.  It's been a gravel lot since the 80s.  Just a difference of opinion, I guess.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
they should take all the dirt they dig up for this place and pile it up north of vanier and make a huge hill ( :love: ) and have kimball tunnel under it and the we could have beautiful feature like KU, but also have all the tailgating lots and stuff!!!!!!!

also would serve as a fun way to enter the lazy river via super slip 'n slide!

poonhound, any mockups of this?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 07:33:03 PM by seven »
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 15, 2013, 07:31:26 PM »
Seriously, a fishing derby in that thing would be fun.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
they should take all the dirt they dig up for this place and pile it up north of vanier and make a huge hill ( :love: ) and have kimball tunnel under it and the we could have beautiful feature like KU, but also have all the tailgating lots and stuff!!!!!!!

also would serve as a fun way to enter the lazy river via super slip 'n slide!

poonhound, any mockups of this?

Best idea on this subject yet.  :thumbs:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

are you for this or against this? you seem to be contradicting yourself.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I don't care to reignite the public transit debate.

Regarding walking from a mile from Union to BSFS, congrats to your 3yrold daughter, I guess.  She sounds like a badass.  Don't really know what that has to do with anything, though.   :dunno:

I just like on campus stadiums - much like downtown ballparks.  Not real controversial IMO.  Since ours is out there, I favor building out campus towards the stadium.  Our administration favors it as well.

And that gravel lot ain't prime real estate.  Sorry.  It's been a gravel lot since the 80s.  Just a difference of opinion, I guess.

The point is I'm really confused about why you insist that the football stadium isn't on campus. You can walk from the opposite corner of the campus to the stadium in 20 minutes. From different areas of the complex I can use a hybrid club and hit university buildings to the north, south, and east. There is student housing less than 300 feet from an entrance to the stadium. Incorporating the corner of College & Kimball and everything south and east we still have the most compact campus in the conference. How could this be anymore on campus? Is this just about the sheep lot? Would it help if we took pictures of the stadium from the northwest corner so you can see Jardine in the shots? I'm really having a hard time thinking of a stadium closer to all campus buildings and nightlife than ours.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

are you for this or against this? you seem to be contradicting yourself.

I'm real for it. I'm just trying to figure out why Belvis thinks the stadium is in Leonardville. What did I say to indicate that I wouldn't be for this wonderful complex and its location?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
drove past it today, and i think it's going to look weird out at the street like that.  imo should have had it back in the corner next to the rec.  not that huge of a deal really though.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Boondock Poonhound

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
WTF?  Can K-State get any more K-Stateo than this?  I mean seriously.

Is that a frickin combine on the street by the stadium in Google Maps???

:facepalm:
Man, this thread is great; who would of thought that Google would have an aerial photo of a combine cruising down Kimball.  Very KSTATE0!   :lol:

Snyder took the day off !  :nono:
"He's in Shape !"

Offline ksucrcoop

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
The picture posted is the back, and the front is going to look fairly similar to the Kansas Wheat Innovation Center that was just opened across the street. 

whew...I was worried the front was going to look like a 1950s library.

Oh wait.

#firecurrie
#burnitdown
#burnitdownnow

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

whew...I was worried the front was going to look like a 1950s library.

Oh wait.

#firecurrie
#burnitdown
#burnitdownnow

This guy has skinnybenny the turf doesn't match type rage building right now.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Also I miss Denison Hall, the only class I ever had in there was my favorite, Current Political Issues.

Offline mancattanite

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
FWIW, this should make the rowing team better, right?
Never misunderestimate a Wildcat.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Also I miss Denison Hall, the only class I ever had in there was my favorite, Current Political Issues.

Your mom is a current political issue.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
FWIW, this should make the rowing team better, right?

It better.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Your mom is a current political issue.

:lol: yeah she is