Author Topic: $2M of Athletic Department Revenue being wasted on an indoor rowing training hut  (Read 37972 times)

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

pretty close, but according to the renderings i've seen, the river actually goes around the field.

:love:
The tunnel the players come out of would be flooded. We could have a garage door that opens with smoke coming out of it, then the players would ride a pontoon boat around the field and get off the boat in the endzone.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Such a pud move by our athletic department.  I can't see any other BCS program that gives a damn about having an elite football team building a rough ridin' rowing facility right next to the football stadium in a tailgating parking lot.

I would be willing to wager that Kansas State is the only BCS program in America who cares about football and actually has open grass fields right next to the football parking lots.

Don't make that wager, also travel to more road games.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile

pretty close, but according to the renderings i've seen, the river actually goes around the field.

The tunnel the players come out of would be flooded. We could have a garage door that opens with smoke coming out of it, then the players would ride a pontoon boat around the field and get off the boat in the endzone.

I want like a Normandy beach type entrance.

Offline Shacks

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Such a pud move by our athletic department.  I can't see any other BCS program that gives a damn about having an elite football team building a rough ridin' rowing facility right next to the football stadium in a tailgating parking lot.

I would be willing to wager that Kansas State is the only BCS program in America who cares about football and actually has open grass fields right next to the football parking lots.

It's not an apples to apples comparison because UCLA only leases the land and doesn't actually own it, but the Rose Bowl is in the middle of a giant golf course that gets turned into one big tailgating lot on game day

Offline KSUblumpkin

• Dr. Blumpkin, Esquire
  • goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Combo-Fan
  • My awesomeness gives Bill Self diarrhea.
    • View Profile
fools. don't you see where this is going?!?!

boats are elite. can't wait to sail into my tailgate.

venice of the plains muth@#er

Fricking Moat EMAW.  I will write a blank check to see Snyder Jet Ski onto the field (shirtless and smoking a fat cigar) at BSFS.  By Poseiden's Trident I believe I now have an erection at work from the shear awesomeness.

Damn it!
#OperationMotorBoatCindy

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

It's not an apples to apples comparison because UCLA only leases the land and doesn't actually own it, but the Rose Bowl is in the middle of a giant golf course that gets turned into one big tailgating lot on game day

The only away stadium I've been to that I've haven't seen some grass parking is OU.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
no grass parking anywhere near DKR, one of the reasons I get a little annoyed when I hear people call Austin a great college "town". 

Offline ksucrcoop

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
no grass parking anywhere near DKR, one of the reasons I get a little annoyed when I hear people call Austin a great college "town".

Grass parking is fine - even elite sometimes (parked on the golf course at UMich for tailgating)
Gravel + Grass parking is very ksateo. Its the gravel.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Grass parking is fine - even elite sometimes (parked on the golf course at UMich for tailgating)
Gravel + Grass parking is very ksateo. Its the gravel.

OSU has gravel. Some of you guys are so insecure that you feel the need to get bent out of shape about really insignificant things that most people don't even think about. I bet these same people get mad about that photoshop of BSFS with the cows and powerlines.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
FWIW there was gravel at the Fiesta Bowl.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Which stadiums do? People are saying OSU. I haven't been there for a game, but I have been by the stadium, and I guess I've just never noticed the vacant grass lots next to it. :dunno: Looking at an aerial photo, there is a large open area to the north that looks like it is a construction site.

OU and Texas don't have open fields for parking. I parked on pavement at Tech, but that was about a mile from the stadium (maybe there is something closer?). People parked on the grass at Auburn, but that was actually on the front lawns of various academic buildings.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I don't care that we have grass and gravel lots for games. I'm just not going to get all upset about Kansas State deciding to put a building on an open grass field that they aren't using for anything except for parking cars 6-8 days per year.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Not a huge tailgater, but would rather do so on grass than gravel or pavement. 

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile

That's a boathouse you tard.

That's like you calling memorial stadium your 'practice field'.

But KU does not have a rowing practice facility so I feel you pain.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile

Which stadiums do? People are saying OSU. I haven't been there for a game, but I have been by the stadium, and I guess I've just never noticed the vacant grass lots next to it. :dunno: Looking at an aerial photo, there is a large open area to the north that looks like it is a construction site.

OU and Texas don't have open fields for parking. I parked on pavement at Tech, but that was about a mile from the stadium (maybe there is something closer?). People parked on the grass at Auburn, but that was actually on the front lawns of various academic buildings.

OSU definitely does, even donor parking sight next to the stadium. Grass and gravel confirmed. Pak'd there last year.
:adios:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
A grass parking lot isn't a problem, albeit given its location I expect at some point it will be paved.   

Continued development of the area needs to continue, and this is a good step.   

Offline fr@ck me

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
This should be right next to the boat house.  They have all kinds of stuff out there already.  They could live out there.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
It should be noted that when it comes to building something like this, $2M isn't crap.  Your average small town YMCA costs like 4 times.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
It should be noted that when it comes to building something like this, $2M isn't crap.  Your average small town YMCA costs like 4 times.

Agreed.  We could barely complete our penthouse for less than $2 million.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

The $2 million is just to construct the actual building, electrical, HVAC.  Furnishings etc. etc. are on a seperate bid.  I suspect a rowing training tank one for the left and one for the right is fairly pricey.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
How much for the sharks with laser beams (attached to their heads)?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

$4 million

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

$4 million

Sounds like the price of doing business with Conference USA Women's Rowing  :kstategrad:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

$4 million x 100

Sounds like the price of doing business with Conference USA Women's Rowing  :kstategrad:

Ooops, left out something

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
WTF?  Can K-State get any more K-Stateo than this?  I mean seriously.

Is that a frickin combine on the street by the stadium in Google Maps???

:facepalm: