Author Topic: Straight talk ("honest") about Kansas Ave. Mexican Restaurants, Kansas City, KS  (Read 43829 times)

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
I did not read this entire thread but can someone direct me to the Chipotle review?

she has got to be DYNAMITE in the sack.

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
This isn't on Kansas Ave, but has anyone been here? Considering trying it.

http://www.bonitomichoacankck.com/

yeah. it's bad-A
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Bo mi in Olathe is excellent but always packed.   Asada tongue barbacoa are all really good.   Have Been enjoying tortas lately

Where is this?

Offline j-dub

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
Bo mi in Olathe is excellent but always packed.   Asada tongue barbacoa are all really good.   Have Been enjoying tortas lately

Where is this?

santa fe and ridgeview. right off I35.
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Is that place (restaurant) actually open?  Last time I drove by it seemed it was still under construction.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Back in Manhattan... just had La Hacienda for lunch and honestly it blows all these Kansas Ave restaurants clean out of the water
:adios:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Back in Manhattan... just had La Hacienda for lunch and honestly it blows all these Kansas Ave restaurants clean out of the water

titletown

Offline j-dub

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
Is that place (restaurant) actually open?  Last time I drove by it seemed it was still under construction.

yep. one of j-dub's last meals in kc  :cry:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Ok so like the sit down in the grocery store thing is open, but the "restaurant" is still under construction.  Was good though and will go back.  :thumbs:

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Ok so like the sit down in the grocery store thing is open, but the "restaurant" is still under construction.  Was good though and will go back.  :thumbs:

Correct

Offline Jabeez

• Combo-Fan
  • #Currie4USPrez
    • View Profile

Tortilleria San Antonio 
830 Kansas Ave, Kansas City, KS

Facade:  Good.  I like the bull heads.  I bet they would sell you a raw bull head if you really wanted one, so truth in advertising right there.

Décor/Ambience:  Good.  This place is a grocery/butcher shop/taqueria…so you basically walk into a small grocery store and an area with dudes making tortillas.  Then there is a counter to order food, a bunch of tables to sit and eat, and a large meat counter.  Loads of mounted heads of various wild animals are up on the wall.  One of the more interesting features is a separate counter where you can buy different pieces of fried pork, though I have no idea what “pieces” they really were. Pretty diverse crowd.  Some families doing their shopping and grabbing lunch, plenty of business people on their lunch hour, etc.

Service: Very Good.  It’s essentially fast food, but they were all very nice.  The nice part is that you can get in and out of there fast, and it’s good for to-go orders…good take away containers for sauces and condiments.

Food:  Very good.  I had an Asada Torta and Taco, both were really good.  They also have burritos.  A friend got a Barbacoa burrito and said it was fantastic.

Just started working in kck near here.  Thanks for this thread Pete, I've ate lunch for under five bucks and been full two days now. San Antonio's is leading restaurant thus far.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
jabeez, good God man- El Pollo Rey across the street

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
getting close to being willing to kill someone for some barbacoa (de borrego, como dios manda).  also cecina.  goddamn.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Jabeez

• Combo-Fan
  • #Currie4USPrez
    • View Profile
Where do you think I'm going tomorrow!?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
KC Burger report coming soon.  It's just west of El Pollo Rey.  Mexican Burgers (sausage patties).  Holy crap, very good.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
KC Burger report coming soon.  It's just west of El Pollo Rey.  Mexican Burgers (sausage patties).  Holy crap, very good.

It's actually the old El Pollo Rey location!  Report coming....

Offline chunkles

• KSU CATS Videographer of the Week
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
some taco place is being built across the street from original OK Joes.  Used to be just a food truck I guess.  Have not read food truck thread. please advise.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
OK, so first off, these mother fuckers made a youtube video, so they are obviously badass. 

KC Burger
1101 Kansas Ave, Kansas City, KS 66105

Facade: Good.  They kind of went modern with the graphics, but I get it.  These guys are kicking the door down on traditional burger joints.  LOOK OUT!

Décor/Ambience: Good.  It's very clean.  But, if it were up to me there would be more artwork.  Flat screens playing Mexican soap operas and stuff are nice, however.  Very popular with the locals.  I haven't ever seen it as busy as the youtube, but then I only go during the day.  Bunch of statues and figures of horses.  Does this mean that they are serving horse meat?  I don't know, but after having eaten here, I don't rough ridin' care....it's delicious!

Service: Good.  No reason to complain.  You order at the counter, and they bring you your food. No prob.

Food: Very good.   The burgers are all made of their own sausage.  They are NOT the ground beef patties you are used to.  This is basically tortas, but mixed with burgers.  Very creative stuff.  Really can't say enough about how good these burgers are....outstanding, but a bit odd.  Their "special burger" is rough ridin' awesome.  Just a great mixture of stuff (see menu pics below). 

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
some taco place is being built across the street from original OK Joes.  Used to be just a food truck I guess.  Have not read food truck thread. please advise.

Taco Republic.  From the makers of Gram & Dun, BRGR, Urban (in the suburbs) Table

http://tacorepublictruck.com/

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile

i eat at their truck at least 1x a week, it's pretty good. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

i eat at their truck at least 1x a week, it's pretty good.

KC Burger later this week?

Offline Jabeez

• Combo-Fan
  • #Currie4USPrez
    • View Profile
This thread makes me really hope that I find some coworkers that aren't old women who are too scared to eat on Kansas Avenue.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile

This thread makes me really hope that I find some coworkers that aren't old women who are too scared to eat on Kansas Avenue.

I hope so too.  you should add to this thread - I really enjoy it

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

The majority of the time that I try new places on this list I am by myself.  I go back to places with work people, for the most part.

I have zero issues with eating alone, particularly at lunch.