Author Topic: Straight talk ("honest") about Kansas Ave. Mexican Restaurants, Kansas City, KS  (Read 43837 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Flour tortilla's are not too common in Mexico, seems like Ninfa sold out to the Flour Man.

hey, pete.  i like you a lot more than whoever i just replied to, so i'm going to reply nicer.  my friendly advice is to just evaluate stuff on how it tastes, not on whether or not you think it is "authentic".  for one thing, you don't know what is authentic, and for another thing, it doesn't matter.

I like the idea that there is one style of "authentic" Mexican food, despite Mexico being a fairly large country. Like Louisiana has the same "authentic" food as New York.

Wrong, dumb dumb.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
Why are we not talking about the segmented paper plates?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

It's a frugal choice that I respect.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile

It's a frugal choice that I respect.

In no way was I saying it was a bad thing

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
I was told that in Northern Mexico (the crap hole and pit of despair of all of Mexico) they can't grow corn as effectively and resort to flour.  I was told that 90%+ of the rest of Mexico prefers corn over flour.  Please correct me if I was mis-informed.

I should add a disclaimer that I don't consider the dirty ass border towns of Northern Mexico to be authentic traditional Mexican fare.  I hope that doesn't offend anyone.

the part about nortenos eating more flour tortillas (really, it's not everywhere in the north, and in most places in the north except sonora most people prolly eat more corn than flour) and most of the rest of the mexico eating mostly corn is true, but it's more nuanced than that (like some foods you normally eat/make with flour tortillas no matter where you are; and everyone everywhere tends to eat what they happen to prefer, be it corn, flour or bread, all of which are commonly available everywhere).

it's also not true that northern mexico is a shithole, or that southern and/or central mexican cuisine is more mexican than northern mexican cuisine.

it's also true that it seems harder to make a good corn tortilla than a good flour tortilla.  most flour tortillas are at least decent.  a lot of corn tortillas are horrible (some are great).
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I will obviously defer to you on Mexicanity, but flour tortillas are poop in my book.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
pete, did you see any nachos?

Offline gato montes

• Fan
  • Winner of the 2011 "Where is 'Clams" Contest
    • View Profile
One thing I haven't seen on any of these menus is chile rellenos. They are one of the first things I try at most Mexican restaurants. Always important to know whether they are made with real green chiles or poblano peppers. Poblano peppers tend to be meatier, which makes it easier to stuff without falling apart, but they really lack in flavor IMO. Green chiles on the other hand are thinner and more difficult to keep whole, raising the craftsmanship level, but the flavor is undeniably better.

Something to look for even if you don't order it is the enchiladas. Do they offer the option to add an egg on top? If not, not an authentic Mexican place. Also, do you get the option of smothered in red or green chile (real green chile sauce not tomatillos)?

gmafb.

:rolleyes: You obviously don't give the chile enough credit. T's and P's for your tastebuds.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Flour tortilla's are not too common in Mexico, seems like Ninfa sold out to the Flour Man.

hey, pete.  i like you a lot more than whoever i just replied to, so i'm going to reply nicer.  my friendly advice is to just evaluate stuff on how it tastes, not on whether or not you think it is "authentic".  for one thing, you don't know what is authentic, and for another thing, it doesn't matter.

I like the idea that there is one style of "authentic" Mexican food, despite Mexico being a fairly large country. Like Louisiana has the same "authentic" food as New York.

Wrong, dumb dumb.

:dubious:
:adios:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

sd doing recon for the next time he's hammered at 2am in kck

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I'll bet Ninfa's has them!  They probably make them in slider form and on a stick.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Wrong, dumb dumb.

:dubious:

You have it backwards.  There are "American" style foods and even restaurants who claim to produce "American Fare" (e.g. J. Alexander's, Houston's, etc.).

They are saying that their foods are broadly recognized as "American."

Corn Tortillas (maize) are by far and away more common across Mexico than flour (wheat)....and as such are a more traditional Mexican food.  Similarl to how Hamburgers with cheddar cheese and bacon are a more traditional American food than corned  beef on Rye,  but you'll find as much or more corned beef on rye in neighborhoods of NYC than you will a burger.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
I just ate a cool ranch taco....where does that fit in?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I see what you mean Pete, but I guess if I was eating American food as a foreigner, I would call burgers, barbecue, hot dogs, mac and cheese, and jambalaya all authentically "American"

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I see what you mean Pete, but I guess if I was eating American food as a foreigner, I would call burgers, barbecue, hot dogs, mac and cheese, and jambalaya all authentically "American"

jambalaya is caribbean

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

jambalaya is caribbean
not Cajun? Is NY style pizza American or Italian? America is a bad example due to our melting potness.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
America is a bad example due to our melting potness.

yeah, also a very young country (obv. not counting those filthy natives)

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
I like all tortillas and their cousins.  A fresh corn tortilla is great and imho better than flour.

Authentic food is pretty nebulous.  You'll find it very hard for people to agree what qualifies something as authentic or not. 

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I like all tortillas and their cousins.  A fresh corn tortilla is great and imho better than flour.

Authentic food is pretty nebulous.  You'll find it very hard for people to agree what qualifies something as authentic or not. 

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Kansas City style is obviously the most authentic barbecue

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
i make a very authentic spaghetti. what makes it great is that i don't just use jar sauce, i also cut up my own onions and tomatoes.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I guess the true baseline for authentic Mexican food is La Hacienda right there in mhk.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
In this week's episode, I re-visted a past location with a special guest....THAT GUEST WILL POST THEIR STRAIGHT TALK LATER TODAY!

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline JavaCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Any of these places serve sopaipillas for dessert and/or horchata? :drool:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
It was with a great measure of trepidation that I called Pete to get involved with this "Straight Talk" project.  But I had several questions that needed answering.  Unfortunately, I find myself left with new unanswered questions.

At approximately 11:21 I called pete to meet me at El Pollo Rey.  I was going to jump head first into this project and boy did I.  I met Pete in the parking lot of this place and we got to work.

1.  Ambience.  It is pretty great.  The parking lot smells of a wood fire.  My jacket now also smells like I was burning off brush out on the north 40.  But it is a good wood smoke smell with a hint of food to it.  The restaurant has a great grill being covered in quartered chicken behind the counter.  Promotional posters for the next norteno concert are on the windows and Mexican television is playing loudly on a t.v. over the sodas cooler.  No music was a huge minus but the adorable 8 month old girl with pierced ears behind the counter made up for it.  A-

2.  Food.  Pretty great.  I got the half AND ordered the whole avacado to go with it.  This even threw a veteran Straight Talker like Pete a curve.  The avacado was sectioned lengthwise and the nice lady behind the counter even let me look at the slices and decide if I wanted it./  Kind of like a sommelier handing you the cork and pouring a taster.  Except I didn't get to actually taste it.  I went with Pete's suggestion of pulling the meat off and making mini tacos with the rice, chicken, avacado hunks, pickled onions, corn tortillas and salsa.  Which however was pureed to a fine apple sauce like mash that made it look almost dessert like.  This raised a new question in my mind.  Did they in fact run their salsa through a food processor?  Is this authentic?  Does this give it better flavor (the answer is no, IMHO).  I have got to find out.  The pinto beans with the hunks of pork in it are pretty average.  There was a lot of fat in there, I'm not going to lie to you muchachos. The other downside to the food is the lack of a "crunch" i.e. no chips or other such items.  But the chicken does taste as good as advertised.  I could have easily taken down a whole bird.  B+

3.  People.  Pete adeptly noticed a business man take down a half bird in about 4 mintues, foregoing anything but his hands and an appetite for grilled chicken.  Lots of workers sharing wholes.  taking down real Cokes in glass bottles.  Pretty quiet though.  I guess the cold weather has everyone in kind of a funk.  B

Anyway, this has been Straight Talk featuring LSOC.