Author Topic: Straight talk ("honest") about Kansas Ave. Mexican Restaurants, Kansas City, KS  (Read 43120 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
I think I will fire up another installment of Straight Talk today!

DO IT!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
 :drool:

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Which one should I hit?

Man, I am getting all birdy!

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile

I thuink I will get upset you didn't invite me yet again.

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I thuink I will get upset you didn't invite me yet again.

You want to go?  I was going with a guy from work, but you can join if you want!

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
OK, huge communication issue resolved.  The Limestone guest appearance on Straight Talk is NEXT week. However, there will still be a Straight Talk today, rest assured.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
Ninfa's!!

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
:foottappingguy:

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

El Camino Real II 
1147 Argentine Blvd, Kansas City, KS

Facade: Excellent.  Hand painted signs and abrasive colors abound.  I really appreciate how they clearly state that this is El Camino Real “#2” (they have three locations in total).  This is useful, because if you get kidnapped and blindfolded, and dropped off in front of this place, it would be handy to know which one you are at.  BOOM.  Problem solved.  The murals are nice…sharp looking guys making tortillas and just cooking it up.  Makes me trust them.

Décor/Ambience: Excellent.  Where to start?  Check out the pic of the dining room.  It’s late February and not only are there still Valentines decorations, but also Christmas lights on the wall.  Crucifix was a bit smaller than I’d normally like it to be, but sufficient.  Just at the edge of the photo you can see the juke box.   The juke box was pretty old school, and loaded with Latin music.  There was a large hand-written sign on the juke box declaring “QUARTERS ONLY!!!!”  Apparently they had experienced problems with that in the past.

Service: Very Good.  They were friendly and quick.  Our waitress had shaved off all of her eyebrows and then hand drawn them back on her forehead, but like half an inch higher than where the originals were located.  That’s attention to detail and a real commitment to look her best (or at least what she believes is her best), and I appreciated that.

Food: Good to Very Good.  I tried an Asada taco, Al Pastor taco, and a Carnitas gorditas.  They were each very good.  However, there was only one kind of salsa, and it was really smoky chipotle flavored and strange to me.  They didn’t offer a tomatillo version, which was disappointing. Overall, it was good and I’d eat there again, but I do not think it was better than San Antonio or Tierra Caliente.  However, Camino Real has a really big menu, and they make a ton of other traditional things and main stream American stuff like fajitas that are probably excellent.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Straight talk ("honest") about Kansas Ave. Mexican Restaurants, Kansas City, KS
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2013, 05:16:57 PM »
Such a delightful thread

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Such a delightful thread

Steve Dave, that's slices of pineapple on the Al Pastor.  PINEAPPLE.  That part was really good, and I should have mentioned that in my report.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Straight talk ("honest") about Kansas Ave. Mexican Restaurants, Kansas City, KS
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2013, 05:21:09 PM »
Well that's just great Pete!

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
i really like the pastor at El Camino Real.  their refried beans are lacking though and i love refried beans so it can be disappointing.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
i really like the pastor at El Camino Real.  their refried beans are lacking though and i love refried beans so it can be disappointing.

Oh man, I did not try the beans, nor did anyone else at the table.  Good feedback, thanks Clams.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
that one looks like the best, pete.  except for the salsa, which, unfortunately makes or breaks the deal.

did they have barbacoa (de borrego, como dios manda)?  i mean, if they have consome, they've gotta have barbacoa, but where was it on the menu?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
that one looks like the best, pete.  except for the salsa, which, unfortunately makes or breaks the deal.

did they have barbacoa (de borrego, como dios manda)?  i mean, if they have consome, they've gotta have barbacoa, but where was it on the menu?

Barbacoa was on there.  I need to start getting that, and then just add a taco or two to sample.

What are your favs?  I will start getting them.  These places are so cheap, it's crazy. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Barbacoa was on there.  I need to start getting that, and then just add a taco or two to sample.

What are your favs?  I will start getting them.  These places are so cheap, it's crazy.

in central mexico, all of the barbacoa stands throw a free sample taco down in front of you as soon as you sit down.  it's great.

the ones i miss the most are: barbacoa de borrego with green chile salsa (no tomatillos), or red jalapeno salsa if you can get it (you can't).  carnitas (puro maciza), good with lots of salsas.   torta de pierna natural.  cecina, same salsas as for barbacoa, but it isn't as critical.

but i could go for a lot of stuff on the menus you've been posting.  sopes, huaraches, even just a nice queso fundido with a good salsa.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Sys, tell me what to get, and I'll get it.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

i don't know what is available.  but if you can find any of the stuff i mentioned, eat it.  i would definitely go back and try the barbacoa, but it sounds like you might have to bring your own salsa.

i bet some place has cecina, keep an eye open for it.  oh, man, keep an eye open for tortas ahogadas as well, you lucky devil.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile

i don't know what is available.  but if you can find any of the stuff i mentioned, eat it.  i would definitely go back and try the barbacoa, but it sounds like you might have to bring your own salsa.

i bet some place has cecina, keep an eye open for it.  oh, man, keep an eye open for tortas ahogadas as well, you lucky devil.

i think the obvious answer is some sort of a live special, featuring sys via skype.

pete will just hoist your pak-headed image to the cashier and you place the order.  he eats whatever he is given.  i watch and fistpump

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

i think the obvious answer is some sort of a live special, featuring sys via skype.

pete will just hoist your pak-headed image to the cashier and you place the order.  he eats whatever he is given.  i watch and fistpump

I just googled tortas ahogadas and it looks amazing. 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Lets both get them a week from mañana

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
If you would like to do another installment Friday, I will join. I mean, I know it won't be La Hacienda (MHK edition) but I'm sure there are other places that are nearly as good out there.
:adios:

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Another installment later today...