Author Topic: Business Trips  (Read 17768 times)

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: Business Trips
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 04:30:45 PM »
I would have liked to go to a concert with michcat.  Maybe I'll travel to SF on business someday.
:adios:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 04:57:42 PM »
SD i will be in JAX next week  :horrorsurprise:

I liked ben ji's breakdown; here's an abbreviated version of mine so far

Yeah! places:

Burlington, VT
LA
NYC
Philly

Better than expected but still Meh! places:

Grand Forks, ND
Gainesville, FL
Tampa, FL

Worse than expected but still Meh! places:

West Palm Beach/Ft Lauderdale
Boston
Atlanta
Daytona Beach

Gross places:

Albuquerque
Orlando
Memphis

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 04:58:46 PM »
I would have liked to go to a concert with michcat.  Maybe I'll travel to SF on business someday.

thanks, friend. I feel better now.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 07:22:47 PM »
I don't travel a ton, but usually when I do it's for a week or two at a time and often internationally.  I hate being gone for 2 weeks.  Really sucks, and I don't even have kids.  Certainly don't mind travelling mid-week within the US to a decent place (or even a new place, even BFE Montana).  Also like those opportunities to go places and see things I never would have on my own (like in 2012 got to do a week in Israel and check out both Tel Aviv and Jerusalem).  But I also had to do Miami like 5 weeks in a row.  That got old quick, even eating and partying in South Beach almost every night.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 07:25:59 PM »
I don't travel a ton, but usually when I do it's for a week or two at a time and often internationally.  I hate being gone for 2 weeks.  Really sucks, and I don't even have kids.  Certainly don't mind travelling mid-week within the US to a decent place (or even a new place, even BFE Montana).  Also like those opportunities to go places and see things I never would have on my own (like in 2012 got to do a week in Israel and check out both Tel Aviv and Jerusalem).  But I also had to do Miami like 5 weeks in a row.  That got old quick, even eating and partying in South Beach almost every night.

I like doing two weeks internationally because you are almost always assured of at least one day to explre.

I know a guy who used to go to China from California and was in China for one day. ugh

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2013, 07:29:52 PM »
I travel way way way to goddamn much. I'm stuck in rough ridin' Fond du Lac, Wisconsin this week. I can't watch the cats game tonight because this crap hotel doesnt have ESPNU  :angry:
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2013, 07:33:06 PM »
I travel way way way to goddamn much. I'm stuck in rough ridin' Fond du Lac, Wisconsin this week. I can't watch the cats game tonight because this crap hotel doesnt have ESPNU  :angry:

go to a bar. good grief.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2013, 07:40:17 PM »
Business travel isn't too bad, but it depends on what it is and for how long. Being young and single doesn't make long stays a hassle. I could see if one had kids, a wife, etc. it being really really taxing. Like right now my boss travels about once every week to two weeks and guy next to me travels about once every other week right now, too much for me. Right now it's nice cause it's like a get to travel about once every month or two which is a nice change of pace from being in the office. However, if travel happens frequently and back to back (as it has once or twice the past year) it can get old quick. Field assignments on the other hand are a whole different issue and while I do like them (granted, my field assignments haven't really been of long length, only about 2 weeks at a time) if they interfere with missing my first home game in 5 years it can make you pretty  :curse: Especially when the thing that goes wrong that keeps you there 3 extra days goes wrong a 4:50 pm the afternoon of the day before you're supposed to go back, oh well. Good experience nonetheless, and got to explore Durango CO for an afternoon. Also, if you travel by yourself as I did for any long period of time, you really, really end up hating eating dinner at a sit down place, never feel more lonely that being at some restaurant by yourself eating. Ended up just grabbing something quick and eating in my room, as antisocial as it sounds.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2013, 07:41:57 PM »

go to a bar. good grief.
Yeah or watch it on your phone/computer.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2013, 07:47:46 PM »
Business travel isn't too bad, but it depends on what it is and for how long. Being young and single doesn't make long stays a hassle. I could see if one had kids, a wife, etc. it being really really taxing. Like right now my boss travels about once every week to two weeks and guy next to me travels about once every other week right now, too much for me. Right now it's nice cause it's like a get to travel about once every month or two which is a nice change of pace from being in the office. However, if travel happens frequently and back to back (as it has once or twice the past year) it can get old quick. Field assignments on the other hand are a whole different issue and while I do like them (granted, my field assignments haven't really been of long length, only about 2 weeks at a time) if they interfere with missing my first home game in 5 years it can make you pretty  :curse: Especially when the thing that goes wrong that keeps you there 3 extra days goes wrong a 4:50 pm the afternoon of the day before you're supposed to go back, oh well. Good experience nonetheless, and got to explore Durango CO for an afternoon. Also, if you travel by yourself as I did for any long period of time, you really, really end up hating eating dinner at a sit down place, never feel more lonely that being at some restaurant by yourself eating. Ended up just grabbing something quick and eating in my room, as antisocial as it sounds.

No way.  Eat at the bar and strike up a convo with the bartender and others at the bar.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Business Trips
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2013, 07:53:07 PM »
I love eating at new places alone

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2013, 07:55:08 PM »
Yeah, prolly should do that, better than in the room looking over drawings by a mile
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2013, 07:56:45 PM »
I love eating at new places alone
Me too!

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2013, 08:03:38 PM »

I like doing two weeks internationally because you are almost always assured of at least one day to explre.

I know a guy who used to go to China from California and was in China for one day. ugh

When we go we're guaranteed the weekend, for sure.  But like here's what I'm talking about:

Sunday, Day 1:  Fly MCI to Frankfurt, Frankfurt to Copenhagen, get to hotel early Monday morning
Monday, Day 2:  Nap, wake up and walk around Copenhagen for dinner, try to get some sleep
Tuesday, Day 3 through Thursday, Day 5:  work hard, pretty much no personal time, but nice dinners out every night
Friday, Day 6:  Fly Copenhagen to Frankfurt, Frankfurt to Tel Aviv, afternoon and evening free in Tel Aviv
Saturday, Day 7:  Free day, travel to Jerusalem an tour around, stay the night in Jersalem
Sunday, Day 8:  Free day, go to Dead Sea, climb Masada, head back to Tel Aviv that night
Monday, Day 9 through Thursday, Day 12:  work hard, no personal time, dinners out every night
Friday, Day 10:  Fly Tel Aviv back to MCI (not direct of course LOL)

Yes, it's fun, but I just hate being away from the things I love and care about much more than work for two weeks.  Also hate giving up a Sunday to travel for work.  But like I literally got to touch the ground where Jesus ascended to heaven (the second time, I think, allegedly).

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2013, 08:36:35 PM »

When we go we're guaranteed the weekend, for sure.  But like here's what I'm talking about:

Sunday, Day 1:  Fly MCI to Frankfurt, Frankfurt to Copenhagen, get to hotel early Monday morning
Monday, Day 2:  Nap, wake up and walk around Copenhagen for dinner, try to get some sleep
Tuesday, Day 3 through Thursday, Day 5:  work hard, pretty much no personal time, but nice dinners out every night
Friday, Day 6:  Fly Copenhagen to Frankfurt, Frankfurt to Tel Aviv, afternoon and evening free in Tel Aviv
Saturday, Day 7:  Free day, travel to Jerusalem an tour around, stay the night in Jersalem
Sunday, Day 8:  Free day, go to Dead Sea, climb Masada, head back to Tel Aviv that night
Monday, Day 9 through Thursday, Day 12:  work hard, no personal time, dinners out every night

Yes, it's fun, but I just hate being away from the things I love and care about much more than work for two weeks.  Also hate giving up a Sunday to travel for work.  But like I literally got to touch the ground where Jesus ascended to heaven (the second time, I think, allegedly).

That's really a pretty pud/great schedule. I would avoid the nap on day 2, personally. Do you mind me asking what industry you're in?

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2013, 08:41:35 PM »

Man, emo just shits all over my old business trips to evansville and milwaukee

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2013, 08:41:52 PM »

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2013, 08:43:14 PM »
Traveling for work is the worst.  Especially by yourself.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2013, 08:45:52 PM »

That's really a pretty pud/great schedule. I would avoid the nap on day 2, personally. Do you mind me asking what industry you're in?

Work for a manufacturer (mostly B2B products), but my group was into radical innovation.  Recently it just got too radical and our group was disbanded.  Still employed and looking for a job internally.  Will really miss that job.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2013, 08:53:12 PM »
Work for a manufacturer (mostly B2B products), but my group was into radical innovation.  Recently it just got too radical and our group was disbanded.  Still employed and looking for a job internally.  Will really miss that job.

radical innovation sounds pretty sweet.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Business Trips
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2013, 08:59:03 PM »
more like pretty....RAD

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2013, 09:06:41 PM »
Traveling for work is the worst.  Especially by yourself.

No denied. I travel for work and 97% of the time I wish I was by myself when I am with others. I enjoy sitting at random bars and not talking to work people after work.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2013, 10:43:21 PM »
I also love drinking at airport bars and talking to random travelers. it always makes for great conversations because everyone is from all over the world

people really do this?  i thought that was just in movies.   :dunno:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2013, 10:58:04 PM »
man I was going to say I went to Phoenix last year and it was cool, but then tel aviv guy came in here and now I'm self conscious
emaw

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2013, 11:02:56 PM »
I've traveled to cool places with cool people from work and it's way better than traveling alone. But the wrong people can make traveling alone way better.