Author Topic: Business Trips  (Read 17773 times)

Offline hurtsogood

• Fan
    • View Profile
Business Trips
« on: January 16, 2013, 03:05:25 PM »
Why do people in my office complain about going on business trips? I'm on the first of my career right now, and I am sitting in an airport lounge drinking a beer and bbs'ing. At 3:00. On a Wednesday.

Business travel is like being a rich drunk guy.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Business Trips
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 03:07:19 PM »
Why do people in my office complain about going on business trips? I'm on the first of my career right now, and I am sitting in an airport lounge drinking a beer and bbs'ing. At 3:00. On a Wednesday.

Business travel is like being a rich drunk guy.

while i don't completely disagree with your overall post, i think there's your answer right there

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 03:08:42 PM »
not all business trips are created equal.

Like, drinking Sam Adams at an Texas Roadhouse in Alabama by myself isn't much fun, but drinking a Green Line in Chicago right before a concert with work friends isn't half bad at all.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 03:14:57 PM »
A lot of it depends on where you're going and what you have going on at home.

I go to San Fran a couple times of year and I love it.  Spent two months in Albany for work once. I could live without going there again.

Offline hurtsogood

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 03:15:38 PM »
not all business trips are created equal.

Like, drinking Sam Adams at an Texas Roadhouse in Alabama by myself isn't much fun, but drinking a Green Line in Chicago right before a concert with work friends isn't half bad at all.

On a scale of lonely texas roadhouse in alabama to camaraderie filled chicago concert, where does "meeting old friend in san fran" come in?

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 03:16:10 PM »
try getting sent to BFE Montana, then tell me how awesome business trips are.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 03:16:41 PM »
I don't know how road warriors do it.     I've got a buddy who does the 2 suitcase thing like Clooney in Up in the Air.     

I "get" to go to Orlando next week for business, as I do every January.   And it blows.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 03:17:13 PM »
the first business trip i went on, i got really boozed up drinking scotch on the plane.  checked into hotel and went downstairs to the hotel bar.  got really pak'd  and met a couple guys who helped produce the rosie o'donnell show.  the 3 of us hopped into a cab and went to a strip club where i proceeded to fall in love with a stripper.  got home really late. woke up after a 30 minute nap and had to be at the convention center in like 15 mins.  it was tough.  much more work than regular.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline hurtsogood

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 03:18:04 PM »

I go to San Fran a couple times of year and I love it.  Spent two months in Albany for work once. I could live without going there again.

On my way to san fran.  Staying at the omni.  Any recommendations for free time? I don't leave until saturday afternoon, so friday night is wide open. Will be with older brother and old friend from high school.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 03:18:18 PM »
I think a lot of it has to do with leaving family / friends / home life frequently.  If you aren't tied down to much, it seems pretty great.
:adios:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 03:22:11 PM »

On my way to san fran.  Staying at the omni.  Any recommendations for free time? I don't leave until saturday afternoon, so friday night is wide open. Will be with older brother and old friend from high school.

You should go to Fidlar and Pangea at Bottom of the Hill Friday night.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 03:25:52 PM »
I love travel for business. next week I'm flying OMA-SAV (three nights at Savannah Andaz) SAV-JAX (one night at aLoft Jacksonville) JAX-SAV (one night at the Mansion on Forsyth) SAV-ATL (one night somewhere in Buckhead) ATL-OMA. going to be fantastic. I also love drinking at airport bars and talking to random travelers. it always makes for great conversations because everyone is from all over the world. plus airline/hotel miles obviously.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 03:29:47 PM »
I love travel for business. next week I'm flying OMA-SAV (three nights at Savannah Andaz) SAV-JAX (one night at aLoft Jacksonville) JAX-SAV (one night at the Mansion on Forsyth) SAV-ATL (one night somewhere in Buckhead) ATL-OMA. going to be fantastic. I also love drinking at airport bars and talking to random travelers. it always makes for great conversations because everyone is from all over the world. plus airline/hotel miles obviously.

Are you flying for JAX-SAV?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 03:34:22 PM »

via ATL (both ways)  :lol:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 03:36:33 PM »

via ATL (both ways)  :lol:

:lol: :thumbs:

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 03:37:33 PM »
but seriously, I'm going to fidlar and pangea and I'm not ashamed to stand next to people from Kansas in what is sure to be a hipster-filled event.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 03:37:56 PM »
I'm trying to find a job that has me travel most the time. I can't think of anything better than a single, 28 year old, traveling all the time for his job.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 03:38:59 PM »
I'm trying to find a job that has me travel most the time. I can't think of anything better than a single, 28 year old, traveling all the time for his job.

it is the dreamiest of dream scenarios

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 03:56:46 PM »
i've traveled once for business in my young career and it was to vegas. stayed (for free obvi) on the strip, got upgraded rooms, and did very well at the tables all week. so it's probably only going to get worse from here.

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 04:04:09 PM »
First Job out of college I traveled about 2 times a month, only downside was I only got to travel in the midwest except for the random conference.

I've Broken down my stops into

Awesome!
-Chicago- Swung a trip there on my bday and had a scotch in the hancock building
-Vegas- Duh
-Madison- Best beer ever at Ale Asylum

Meh
-Minneapolis- Dont go in the winter, suprisingly good ethiopian food though
-Milwaukee- Airport flooded while I was there, i did go to the "beach" one day though.
-Jacksonville- Like Savannah but bigger and poorer.
-Phoenix- Imagine Corporate Woods but 110 degrees, did have a great time at the Thunder Dan Marje bar downtown.
-St. Louis- Was hung over the entire time as I had just got back from vegas less than 24hrs before. Box at cards game though

Ewww
-Evansville- Gross 
-Springfield(IL)- Stupid
-Des Moines- Like wichita but bigger!
-Cleveland- Went to a local watering hole, was talking to a couple locals and asked what they did...Both were on unemployment
-Decatur- Smells like Corn
-Champaign/urbana- Dont remember
-Cincinnatti- Skyline Chili is absolutely terrible
-Birmingham- Comment from boss as we are leaving "You know the blacks sure are different down here compared to Kansas City"

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 04:09:01 PM »
First Job out of college I traveled about 2 times a month, only downside was I only got to travel in the midwest except for the random conference.

I've Broken down my stops into

Awesome!
-Chicago- Swung a trip there on my bday and had a scotch in the hancock building
-Vegas- Duh
-Madison- Best beer ever at Ale Asylum

Meh
-Minneapolis- Dont go in the winter, suprisingly good ethiopian food though
-Milwaukee- Airport flooded while I was there, i did go to the "beach" one day though.
-Jacksonville- Like Savannah but bigger and poorer.
-Phoenix- Imagine Corporate Woods but 110 degrees, did have a great time at the Thunder Dan Marje bar downtown.
-St. Louis- Was hung over the entire time as I had just got back from vegas less than 24hrs before. Box at cards game though

Ewww
-Evansville- Gross 
-Springfield(IL)- Stupid
-Des Moines- Like wichita but bigger!
-Cleveland- Went to a local watering hole, was talking to a couple locals and asked what they did...Both were on unemployment
-Decatur- Smells like Corn
-Champaign/urbana- Dont remember
-Cincinnatti- Skyline Chili is absolutely terrible
-Birmingham- Comment from boss as we are leaving "You know the blacks sure are different down here compared to Kansas City"

I've vetted my ability to be happy in a bar in pretty much any city I'm in, so I think I could keep every city at the "meh" level or above on a short term basis.  That said, I've never been to the southeast other than Orlando.
:adios:

Offline hurtsogood

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 04:12:13 PM »
but seriously, I'm going to fidlar and pangea and I'm not ashamed to stand next to people from Kansas in what is sure to be a hipster-filled event.

Appreciate it, michcat. If i make it, i will bring you a purple rose and offer it to you bachelor-style.  Hipster band could be a tough sell to my company of manly men though.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 04:20:59 PM »
Are you saying what I'm doing isn't "manly" enough for you and your bros?

Offline hurtsogood

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 04:24:30 PM »
No, I'm using my friends as an excuse to not go to that concert.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 04:26:32 PM »
No, I'm using my friends as an excuse to not go to that concert.

that was very manly of you.