Author Topic: Game of Thrones book discussion thread  (Read 53721 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Game of Thrones book discussion thread
« Reply #375 on: June 03, 2013, 04:05:25 PM »
I only read the book, but why did anyone like Robb and Catelyn? Easily the worst Starks.

I think that people like them because they get it in their head that the Starks are the good guys. After the Starks die, there really isn't anybody else left in Westeros that you would say is honorable and on the side of good.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 03, 2013, 05:18:55 PM »
Yeah they were wronged.  Really ned and John seemed like the best ones.   Robb was like sixteen and inherited it all.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 03, 2013, 10:05:08 PM »
i think the show actually did a better job of showing rob and cat as reaping what they sow, in the books their untimely demise is much more tragic... and they also, i feel show the "bad guys" too an extent (frey and boltons) as being far more unredeemable and wicked than i think they appear in the books.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Game of Thrones book discussion thread
« Reply #378 on: June 03, 2013, 10:51:17 PM »
https://twitter.com/RedWeddingTears

:thumbs:

Ok just watched this as a non book reader. I was borderline traumatized, but this twitter feed really snapped me back to the joys of reality. But Srsly what the eff.

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • purple hugs are back! get yours today
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 05, 2013, 08:13:09 AM »
Red Wedding tears, that's fantastic stuff.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 05, 2013, 09:23:53 PM »
holy crap, i just watched the episode.   :sdeek:

like, this writer is batshit crazy.  i spent the whole first season assuming the show was about Ned, and then wham.

now, i assumed it was starks vs. lannisters for the rest of the series, and now BAM.

I love the orphan Stark kids and badass dragon lady

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Game of Thrones book discussion thread
« Reply #381 on: June 06, 2013, 12:14:30 AM »
holy crap, i just watched the episode.   :sdeek:

like, this writer is batshit crazy.  i spent the whole first season assuming the show was about Ned, and then wham.

now, i assumed it was starks vs. lannisters for the rest of the series, and now BAM.

I love the orphan Stark kids and badass dragon lady

A co-worker of mine that has read all the books for the series so far, made the comment, dont get to attached to anyone.  I fear jon snow is going down.
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 06, 2013, 12:56:28 AM »
Quit being pussies and get to the end of book five already.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 06, 2013, 07:53:27 AM »
Slogging through four.

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 06, 2013, 08:45:02 AM »
The takeaway you should be getting is that from everyone's point of view they're doing the right thing and quit going by simple appearances.

:cheers:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 06, 2013, 10:18:08 AM »

Offline LHarKSUCat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 06, 2013, 10:22:52 AM »
Whoooo!! I'm just about done with book one! I'm on my way!

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 06, 2013, 10:23:58 AM »

i started reading the first book and realized that i hate reading, and i'd rather be surprised by the tv show.  it's much more impactful seeing it on the screen than reading about it.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 06, 2013, 10:38:06 AM »
The takeaway you should be getting is that from everyone's point of view they're doing the right thing and quit going by simple appearances.

There's a theory out there that, ultimately, it's going to come down to Jaime (as a "redeemed" "good" guy) versus Bran (as basically a wizard who's embraced the darkness). Something about parallels with Norse mythology and Jaime possibly being a defender of humanity (all of 'em) against the non-human/magic folks from the north/north of the wall. http://gameofthronesandnorsemythology.blogspot.com/  Interesting, but pretty speculative (would be a way to tie everything back to how it pretty much began with Jaime pushing Bran out the window). If it did wind up being something like that, seems like it would be sort of what Lucas wanted to do with Anakin but failed miserably with.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 11:09:11 AM by slimz »

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 06, 2013, 10:51:05 AM »
I thought it all began with the murder of Jon Arryn.
Well I guess you could say it all began with Jaime murdering Aerys.  :dunno:

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: June 06, 2013, 01:38:18 PM »

i started reading the first book and realized that i hate reading, and i'd rather be surprised by the tv show.  it's much more impactful seeing it on the screen than reading about it.

You know nothing, OK Cat.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 06, 2013, 01:39:02 PM »

You know nothing, OK Cat.

go read a book, you knucklehead

Offline one time gella

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 06, 2013, 03:05:44 PM »
GRRM was on Conan last night... Interesting fellow...

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 06, 2013, 04:03:09 PM »

There's a theory out there that, ultimately, it's going to come down to Jaime (as a "redeemed" "good" guy) versus Bran (as basically a wizard who's embraced the darkness). Something about parallels with Norse mythology and Jaime possibly being a defender of humanity (all of 'em) against the non-human/magic folks from the north/north of the wall. http://gameofthronesandnorsemythology.blogspot.com/  Interesting, but pretty speculative (would be a way to tie everything back to how it pretty much began with Jaime pushing Bran out the window). If it did wind up being something like that, seems like it would be sort of what Lucas wanted to do with Anakin but failed miserably with.

If Jaime is going to truly redeem himself he's going to fix the whole "Kingslayer" business.  F Bran.  Bran is going to become the instrument with which the children of the forest try to get their revenge on men by sending The Others south.  Kinda like that South Park episode where Heaven uses Kenny to direct the angels in battle through his PSP.

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 06, 2013, 04:12:27 PM »

I watched it.  He did say that he knows he actually has to bust his ass writing now in order to outpace the TV show.  Said the current book he is working on is going to be over 1500 pages and counting.   :excited:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 06, 2013, 04:26:53 PM »

I watched it.  He did say that he knows he actually has to bust his ass writing now in order to outpace the TV show.  Said the current book he is working on is going to be over 1500 pages and counting.   :excited:

Well yeah but.......WHEN IS THE rough ridin' THING GOING TO COME OUT ALREADY?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 06, 2013, 04:28:22 PM »

If Jaime is going to truly redeem himself he's going to fix the whole "Kingslayer" business.  F Bran.  Bran is going to become the instrument with which the children of the forest try to get their revenge on men by sending The Others south.  Kinda like that South Park episode where Heaven uses Kenny to direct the angels in battle through his PSP.

Shut your face, the three youngest Stark kids are going to do some really cool stuff before the fatfuck kills the off in some outlandish manner. (at least I hope so  :cry:)

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 07, 2013, 12:04:31 PM »
The preview for the season finale where it shows Arya watching as Bolton's men are burning all the Stark banners/stuff makes me want to cry more than watching the Red Wedding scene did.  :cry:

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 07, 2013, 12:09:42 PM »
curious to see how (if) they handle the Grey Wind / Robb face match

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 10, 2013, 08:07:01 AM »
An entire episode of "wait till next year" setups.  About the only redeeming scenes were the Davos scenes.  I've had about enough of the Daenarys staring at a city with a worried look on her face scenes.  The ending was cheesy bad.