Author Topic: Game of Thrones book discussion thread  (Read 52616 times)

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
Re: Game of Thrones book discussion thread
« Reply #400 on: June 10, 2013, 08:33:22 AM »
An entire episode of "wait till next year" setups.  About the only redeeming scenes were the Davos scenes.  I've had about enough of the Daenarys staring at a city with a worried look on her face scenes.  The ending was cheesy bad.

ending was the best part.  love hot dragon chick.  she's the only "good guy" left on the show, really.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 10, 2013, 08:41:03 AM »
The best part is that Tyrion just keeps getting better and better as the books develop

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 10, 2013, 10:26:01 AM »
worthless season finale.  :flush:

and the more I think about the red wedding the more pissed off I get.  just seemed really lazy on GRRM's part.  like what was the point of the entire story line of robb stark if he was just going to slaughter everybody like that?  that story line wasted a vast amount of hours of the series (and I'm assuming pages of the books) only to end very abruptly...and it didn't further any other story lines AT ALL.  we didn't learn anything new about any of the characters and it didn't open up any new story lines that didn't already exist.  it's like he just got bored with it or could decide where to go and so he just rounded everybody up in a room and slaughtered them all.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 10, 2013, 10:35:07 AM »
glad i haven't read the books, seems like you readers get pissed off easily. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 10, 2013, 10:54:46 AM »

and the more I think about the red wedding the more pissed off I get.  just seemed really lazy on GRRM's part.  like what was the point of the entire story line of robb stark if he was just going to slaughter everybody like that?  that story line wasted a vast amount of hours of the series (and I'm assuming pages of the books) only to end very abruptly...and it didn't further any other story lines AT ALL.  we didn't learn anything new about any of the characters and it didn't open up any new story lines that didn't already exist.  it's like he just got bored with it or could decide where to go and so he just rounded everybody up in a room and slaughtered them all.

He builds every character in the book and the time spend building up to the Red Wedding is a significant amount of time, during which he develops a bunch of characters quite a bit.  Also, in the books, the event itself really shapes characters going forward.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: June 10, 2013, 11:10:26 AM »
i liked it because it shows that nobody is safe.  makes me as a viewer always wondering who is next.

i keep trying to decide the ending of the series in my head.  happy ending with dragon chick?  heartbreaking ending with the lannisters winning?  surprise ending with someone taking over that isn't expected?  so many choices.

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • purple hugs are back! get yours today
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 10, 2013, 11:10:47 AM »

Scene: Walder Frey gloating to Roose Bolton about killing off the Starks and Tullys
Scene: Tyrion taking issue with Tywin's methods of winning the war
Scene: Tyrion explaining to Podrick the crime wasn't the killing or the wedding, the crime was breaking the laws of hospitality

Don't despair, the Red Wedding comes back to bite them, count on it.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 10, 2013, 11:12:11 AM »
Rams, buddy, sigh

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 10, 2013, 11:35:41 AM »

The Red Wedding was just amazing in the book and on film. Sure, a lot of storylines ended abruptly, but crap happens, and there are still about 20 other storylines moving forward. I would expect most of those to end abruptly as well. Just enjoy the ride.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 10, 2013, 11:39:37 AM »
I mean calling the Red Wedding lazy writing is just one of the most absurd things I've ever read.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 10, 2013, 12:01:15 PM »
Where's the episode where Robb dies? I've watched them all and don't remember a red wedding
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 10, 2013, 02:09:15 PM »
Where's the episode where Robb dies? I've watched them all and don't remember a red wedding
:dubious:

just seemed like a huge waste to kill off a main story line that he'd invested so much time in when, right now, it doesn't seem to further any of the other remaining story lines. I suppose he'll find a way to make it an important event down the line, but right now it just feels like he got bored with it so he killed everybody off...which seems like lazy writing.  :dunno: 
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 10, 2013, 02:10:56 PM »
Rams just stop it broseph

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 10, 2013, 03:00:28 PM »
Yeah, the red wedding will most likely become an important event to the story of A Song of Ice and Fire at some point way down the line.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 10, 2013, 03:07:27 PM »
Yeah, the red wedding will most likely become an important event to the story of A Song of Ice and Fire at some point way down the line.

nah, GRRM just got bored

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 10, 2013, 04:32:59 PM »
Robb stark wasn't the main story.  just a cog.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 11, 2013, 08:11:18 AM »
Robb stark wasn't the main story.  just a cog.
Or, who says that the Stark side of the war was the main story line part?  In the books you heardly ever even hear any stories from their side... however the Lanister side of the conflict...

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 11, 2013, 08:16:46 AM »
yeah you hardly ever hear from the starks, except you read the POV of Ned, Catelyn, Jon, Sansa, Arya, and Bran.

Offline SabiNation

• Katpak'r
  • USA Handball - Rio 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 11, 2013, 08:54:14 AM »
i liked it because it shows that nobody is safe.  makes me as a viewer always wondering who is next.

This.  GOT isn't the first story that developed a character only to kill them off later.  The idea, I would assume, is to get the viewer/reader attached to specific characters and to cause an emotional reaction when something happens to them (good or bad).  In my mind, the fact that Rams is being butthurt is exactly what the writers wanted.  You'll be back for season 4.
"If i worked for the NY times, and my boss told me 'hey. if you keep ranking ksu so high, we may fire you' i would tell my boss to 'bring it on.'"  -FFF

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 11, 2013, 09:02:04 AM »
Yes I have heard GRRM discuss that the Ned death was to show that the stubborn good guy does not always win. And then with Robb, the reader just assumes that the son will take up the mantle and get revenge. But that is not how it works always out, so he said he knew he was going to kill Robb from the get-go.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: June 11, 2013, 09:09:38 AM »

This.  GOT isn't the first story that developed a character only to kill them off later.  The idea, I would assume, is to get the viewer/reader attached to specific characters and to cause an emotional reaction when something happens to them (good or bad).  In my mind, the fact that Rams is being butthurt is exactly what the writers wanted.  You'll be back for season 4.

I agree. Any time a writer can evoke strong emotions from the reader, they have done their job.

Offline SabiNation

• Katpak'r
  • USA Handball - Rio 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: June 11, 2013, 09:17:22 AM »
Yes I have heard GRRM discuss that the Ned death was to show that the stubborn good guy does not always win. And then with Robb, the reader just assumes that the son will take up the mantle and get revenge. But that is not how it works always out, so he said he knew he was going to kill Robb from the get-go.

Genius imo
"If i worked for the NY times, and my boss told me 'hey. if you keep ranking ksu so high, we may fire you' i would tell my boss to 'bring it on.'"  -FFF

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 11, 2013, 09:59:53 AM »
i like that none of the characters are 100% good or 100% bad.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 11, 2013, 10:24:49 AM »
i like that none of the characters are 100% good or 100% bad.

Yep, and the percentage of both that you initially mentally assign them shifts as the story moves on.  Really great stuff.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: June 11, 2013, 10:31:11 AM »
Cersei is consistently bad. (so far)