Author Topic: 2nd worst town in Kansas  (Read 103947 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd worst town in Kansas
« Reply #375 on: January 07, 2013, 09:05:27 AM »
DNR entire thread but I'm sure Emporia got some good play

It has two Braums which automatically disqualifies it.  Besides the glory days of the entire town smelling like burning cow hide due to IBP are long gone.

Braums rockets it to the top of the rankings with GC if anything

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: January 07, 2013, 09:12:04 AM »
I second 'clams nomination of Westwood Hills, Kansas.

Also known as the "The Most Beautiful Little City in Kansas".

Learn more here about this wonderful treasure...

http://www.westwoodhills.org/

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline 88wildcat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 07, 2013, 09:37:20 AM »
Horton. Words cannot describe that god awful place. It wins, if you haven't been there, give thanks to whomever or whatever you believe in that you have been able to live your life to this point without having to go to Horton. Go party it up in Galena, or Hiawatha, or Liberal, or Oakley. Ask Santa for a customer made t-shirt that says, "At least I am not in Horton."

Is that the town that is on the way from MHK to 'chita that is right by the round-a-bout that has a water tower that looks like a big cigarette??

If so, yeah, pretty shitty town.

Pretty sure that is Florence you are describing.

I would think Peabody would have been mentioned by now.  Any town whose nickname is Urineville should get a first round bye in this tournament.

Ness City should also get a mention.  The town's claim to fame is having one of their residents get stuck to her toilet seat for two years.

Other nominations
Carbondale
Quenemo
Jetmore (desolation capital of Kansas-drive on K-156 from Larned to Garden City is absolutely the worst drive in the state)
any town on US-56 west of Dodge City

Online tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 10, 2013, 10:27:08 AM »
I think this wraps it up.  Send the trophy to Horton.

http://cjonline.com/sports/2013-01-09/kshsaa-places-horton-new-nek

Horton had spent the past several months seeking a league after it was announced last June that the Delaware Valley League would be disbanding with the withdrawal of eight schools — Immaculata, Jackson Heights, Jefferson North, Maur Hill-Mt. Academy, McLouth, Oskaloosa, Pleasant Ridge and Valley Falls. Those schools broke away from the 14-team league to form the Northeast Kansas League, expressing their desire to be a part of a smaller league.

The ensuing ripple effect left Horton, Doniphan West, Atchison County, Riverside and Troy searching for homes and all but Horton were successful. Atchison County and Riverside will join the Big Seven League, while Doniphan West and Troy were accepted into the Twin Valley League.

Horton applied for membership into both leagues, but was denied by league votes — a 5-3 margin in the Big Seven and an 8-3-1 margin in the Twin Valley. That left Horton without a league and led to their request to be placed in one by the KSHSAA.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 10, 2013, 10:28:01 AM »
take it to the Cigars thread

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 10, 2013, 10:30:07 AM »
I hate this thread. :clac:
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 10, 2013, 10:36:45 AM »
Any list with Lansing on it is Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).  Not saying it's a great place, just not awful.  Lots of nice neighborhoods on the south side of town (homes $400k+), plenty of military officers who have lived all over the world (including international officers studying at the CGSC), good school district. 

Obvious cons are the prison and proximity to Leavenworth.

Offline Perry

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 10, 2013, 11:18:27 AM »
Any list with Lansing on it is Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).  Not saying it's a great place, just not awful.  Lots of nice neighborhoods on the south side of town (homes $400k+), plenty of military officers who have lived all over the world (including international officers studying at the CGSC), good school district. 

Obvious cons are the prison and proximity to Leavenworth.

Agreed, though I'm biased some as I lived there from middle school through high school. Proximity to Legends is another nice part of Lansing that should help keep it off any of these lists.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 10, 2013, 12:28:48 PM »
What should keep Lansing off is the fact that it isn't worse than Leavenworth.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 10, 2013, 12:55:44 PM »
Good enough for me kittons_mittons.  :cheers:

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 27, 2013, 03:01:38 PM »
http://www.ksallink.com/?cmd=displaystory&story_id=27724&format=html

Police: Cyclist Had Meth Lab in Backpack

Associated Press - Wed 07:13 PM 06/26/2013

Police say a search of the backpack turned up what they called an active, "one-pot" mobile meth lab.
If only he'd been riding in the street, a bicyclist who Pittsburg police say had a meth lab in his backpack might have gone unnoticed.

But the 29-year-old man from Nevada, Mo., caught the eye of an officer in the southeast Kansas community Tuesday morning because he was riding on a sidewalk.

The officer tried to make contact with the bicyclist. The man instead rode away before he was stopped a few blocks away.

Police say a search of his backpack turned up what they called an active, "one-pot" mobile meth lab. The man was arrested on suspicion of making and possessing methamphetamine, felony possession of drug paraphernalia, and obstruction.

He also got a ticket for riding a bike on the sidewalk.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 27, 2013, 03:03:54 PM »
http://www.ksallink.com/?cmd=displaystory&story_id=27724&format=html

Police: Cyclist Had Meth Lab in Backpack

Associated Press - Wed 07:13 PM 06/26/2013

Police say a search of the backpack turned up what they called an active, "one-pot" mobile meth lab.
If only he'd been riding in the street, a bicyclist who Pittsburg police say had a meth lab in his backpack might have gone unnoticed.

But the 29-year-old man from Nevada, Mo., caught the eye of an officer in the southeast Kansas community Tuesday morning because he was riding on a sidewalk.

The officer tried to make contact with the bicyclist. The man instead rode away before he was stopped a few blocks away.

Police say a search of his backpack turned up what they called an active, "one-pot" mobile meth lab. The man was arrested on suspicion of making and possessing methamphetamine, felony possession of drug paraphernalia, and obstruction.

He also got a ticket for riding a bike on the sidewalk.

To be fair to Pittsburg, the man was from Nevada, MO. He was just passing through town on the sidewalk.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 27, 2013, 03:05:25 PM »
forgot how great this thread is
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 27, 2013, 03:07:26 PM »
Man... I used to ride my bike on the sidewalk all the time.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 27, 2013, 03:13:47 PM »
Man... I used to ride my bike on the sidewalk all the time.

Times have changed, CFoD. What used to be a fool proof plan for cooking meth on the go is now a ticket to disaster. I think that the cops might be watching Breaking Bad and taking notes to get some sort of insight into the criminal mind.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: June 28, 2013, 09:00:20 AM »
Wow, I had never stepped foot in this thread. Just read the whole thing.  :sdeek:
Very very depressing thread. I am not from KS and have zero family members in KS and I feel like there should be like some sort of password required to read this thread that only people from KS or people who have family members in KS can get into it and read it.

Also, yes, jmlynch, La Cygne is the one near the pond.

Offline paulnyakatura

• Fan
  • #JazzBand @paulnyakatura
    • View Profile
    • PaulNyakatura.com
« Reply #391 on: June 28, 2013, 09:08:47 AM »
Prairie Village. 'Cause eff those rich bastards.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 28, 2013, 09:16:43 AM »
Wow, I had never stepped foot in this thread. Just read the whole thing.  :sdeek:
Very very depressing thread. I am not from KS and have zero family members in KS and I feel like there should be like some sort of password required to read this thread that only people from KS or people who have family members in KS can get into it and read it.

Which state are you from?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 28, 2013, 09:17:17 AM »
Prairie Village. 'Cause eff those rich bastards.

3 bedrooms 1 bath 1 car garage?  They're not rich.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 28, 2013, 09:38:55 AM »

Oh the same rules should apply to a Missouri thread of similar nature. I don't really have any small-town relatives either though, so that could be part of the  :sdeek:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 28, 2013, 09:44:53 AM »

Oh the same rules should apply to a Missouri thread of similar nature. I don't really have any small-town relatives either though, so that could be part of the  :sdeek:

I bet a worst town in Missouri thread would be much more depressing than the Kansas thread. The worst towns in Kansas can attribute most of their problems from spillover from SW Missouri and NE Oklahoma, after all. It's just too bad we don't have more mocats to really get one going.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 28, 2013, 09:58:25 AM »

I bet a worst town in Missouri thread would be much more depressing than the Kansas thread. The worst towns in Kansas can attribute most of their problems from spillover from SW Missouri and NE Oklahoma, after all. It's just too bad we don't have more mocats to really get one going.

I don't disagree with you, Nuts Kicked. 2nd worst town in Missouri thread would be very enjoyable. Less hicks and more hillbillies. Less herp derp more meth derp, imo

I do not know much about Missouri towns though.

Offline slucat

• GIRL ALERT, GIRL ALERT
  • Combo-Fan
  • This SLU, not the city
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 28, 2013, 09:58:58 AM »
Just saw this thread...after traveling extensivley for 10 years to every corner of Kansas for my former job, I feel well qualified to add to this discussion.  There are several glaring omissions:

Kingman
Protection
Ashland
Longton

Agree with these two that were mentioned: Eureka and Elwood

My worst would probably be Protection, however I never had to stay the night there...as far as a location that had the means to support overnight out of town visitors, I'd have to go with Elwood, with Kingman coming a close second.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 28, 2013, 10:03:05 AM »
Just saw this thread...after traveling extensivley for 10 years to every corner of Kansas for my former job, I feel well qualified to add to this discussion.  There are several glaring omissions:

Kingman
Protection
Ashland
Longton

Agree with these two that were mentioned: Eureka and Elwood

My worst would probably be Protection, however I never had to stay the night there...as far as a location that had the means to support overnight out of town visitors, I'd have to go with Elwood, with Kingman coming a close second.

Oh man...you definitely mentioned my home town.  Thats ok though...I think it sucks too.  I hear they are getting a new hotel though.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 29, 2013, 09:03:23 AM »
I bet you see no less than 20 anti-abortion signs between Pittsburg and Galena.

I don't think Parsons is in the same discussion as some of these other towns. It's kind of old and run down but it's not terrible.

Parsons also has a decent medical facility.  It couldn't be that bad.

One of my facebook friends had a friend who died at the Parsons hospital getting his tonsils taken out last year. You might want to reassess that.

They offered Mrs. BF a job and a free house.   :dunno:

Heard an NPR thing this year about how small towns in western KS is adopting the Doctors Without Boarders method of attracting new doctors to come to Western KS to serve time.

FR_BIL is a pretty elite oncologist currently serving indentured servitude in Hutch. He is NOT impressed by the space museum and would probably vote Hutch for the Mrs Gooch Coffeyville Gross Fights at Fairgrounds after the Demo Derby Trophy brought to you by abandoned Dairy Queens and Frito Pies.

I've been to the demolition derby at Coffeyville!  Would like to hear more about this post-derby fight.  I know passions run deep for fave demolition derby drivers, but this sounds exceptional.