Author Topic: 2nd worst town in Kansas  (Read 104006 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd worst town in Kansas
« Reply #150 on: December 18, 2012, 03:13:03 PM »
I bet you see no less than 20 anti-abortion signs between Pittsburg and Galena.

I don't think Parsons is in the same discussion as some of these other towns. It's kind of old and run down but it's not terrible.

There are no anti-abortion signs in that stretch that I'm aware of. Almost all of the signs are around St. Paul, mostly between St. Paul and Girard.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 18, 2012, 03:14:54 PM »

I don't think Parsons is in the same discussion as some of these other towns. It's kind of old and run down but it's not terrible.

Parsons also has a decent medical facility.  It couldn't be that bad.

One of my facebook friends had a friend who died at the Parsons hospital getting his tonsils taken out last year. You might want to reassess that.

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 18, 2012, 03:16:04 PM »
Do any of these towns have a terrifying concrete shrine built by an insane old pedophile that has a mausoleum with his mummified corpse inside?

Do any of these towns have an entire museum dedicated to mutilated barbies and severed baby doll heads?

Maybe also a life size car made from pop tabs?

Lucas has already been confirmed as awesome. Give it up.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 18, 2012, 03:16:21 PM »
Where is the place on 70 that adv's for the 6 legged steer and the worlds largest ground hog.  Never stopped in, but I bet that place should be on this half fictional list of names.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 18, 2012, 03:17:33 PM »
I always thought the wind chimes out by Mullinville are very strange, and I'm kind of surprised Mullinville hasn't been nominated. Maybe it's nicer than it looks when you are driving through. :dunno:

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 18, 2012, 03:18:39 PM »
Now I just want to see photoshops of city limit signs and post cards with awkwardly true assessments of the nominated town.

There is a sign on I-70 that says "WaKeeney: It's Affordable". Always struck me as a pretty sad boast.

:lol:

"We're Poors"

9 out of 10 of the list I posted got an A+ for cost of living.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 18, 2012, 03:19:39 PM »
What is the name of the little town btwn kc and Manhattan that is just south of 70 that is mostly Swedish and the capital of it's restaurant giving travelers that don't want to be in that town food poisoning?  I think that little slice of stomach pain deserves some discussion.

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 18, 2012, 03:19:52 PM »
Where is the place on 70 that adv's for the 6 legged steer and the worlds largest ground hog.  Never stopped in, but I bet that place should be on this half fictional list of names.
Oakley and it has.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 18, 2012, 03:20:49 PM »
I always thought the wind chimes out by Mullinville are very strange, and I'm kind of surprised Mullinville hasn't been nominated. Maybe it's nicer than it looks when you are driving through. :dunno:

Too small.  That's really just M.T. Ligget going crazy near 254 other people. 
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
2nd worst town in Kansas
« Reply #159 on: December 18, 2012, 03:23:04 PM »
Something to consider about Chetopa: they once cheated to win a catfish contest and then stole the trophy. So, plus 50 points.
For years, the southeast Kansas town had claimed to be the state's catfish capital. Eaton said the challenge resulted in a fishing contest between the two cities involving "The Sportsman's Friend" host Harold Ensley, perhaps as judge.
"There was a catfish trophy that was to go to the town that caught the biggest catfish," Eaton said. "Burlington caught the biggest catfish during the contest."
Then, the mayor of Chetopa told possibly the biggest fish tale in Kansas history. He said the spoonbill was part of the catfish family and since fishermen there had caught a spoonbill larger than any catfish hooked at Burlington, the trophy should go south.
Surprisingly, the Burlington mayor fell for the story hook, line and sinker.
But Eaton, an insurance agent and farmer at the time, foiled the Chetopa mayor's plan. He said he asked the Burlington mayor to bring the trophy to him so he could see it before it was shipped to Chetopa. While he distracted the mayor, a secretary stole the trophy.
Eaton kept the trophy for a while and then gave it the Jaycees. The last he knew, it was at the Eagles lodge.
"It didn't make it to Chetopa," he said. "A spoonbill is not a catfish."
But Loy, the bait shop owner and former Jaycee, said there's more to the story.
After the trophy was stolen by Eaton and his accomplices, some men from Chetopa visited Burlington, swiped the trophy and took it back to their hometown.
"Then some Burlington guys (went down there and) swiped it back," Loy said.
That supposedly set off years of orneriness between the two communities.
Toni Crumrine, Chetopa city clerk, said Chetopa has abandoned the world title and now claims to be Catfish Capital of Kansas -- a claim that stuns Eaton.
"Oh, no, we won that," he said. "How can they be the Catfish Capital of Kansas if we're the Catfish Capital of the World?"
But, Chetopa isn't losing any sleep over it. That city has another title to boast about, even though it's a little nutty.
"Chetopa," Crumrine said, "is state-sanctioned as the Pecan Capital of Kansas."
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 18, 2012, 03:24:27 PM »
jmlynch, please post pics of your grassroots art on exhibit in lucas, ks.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 18, 2012, 03:25:32 PM »
Is that pronounced "chet" as in the d00d's name "Topia" as in utopia?

If so, I could easily be swayed to this town being on that list.

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 18, 2012, 03:26:01 PM »

One of my facebook friends had a friend who died at the Parsons hospital getting his tonsils taken out last year. You might want to reassess that.

They offered Mrs. BF a job and a free house.   :dunno:

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
2nd worst town in Kansas
« Reply #163 on: December 18, 2012, 03:26:57 PM »
We may also need a master list of best self-appointed title. Pecan Capital of Kansas is a pretty solid fanningbrag, but Prairie Chicken Capital of the World is really, really adorable.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 18, 2012, 03:27:27 PM »

Heard an NPR thing this year about how small towns in western KS is adopting the Doctors Without Boarders method of attracting new doctors to come to Western KS to serve time.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
2nd worst town in Kansas
« Reply #165 on: December 18, 2012, 03:28:18 PM »
Chetopa: Don't care; had pecans

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 18, 2012, 03:29:18 PM »
That's actually a pretty badass story from lil' ol' Chetopa. Say what you want, but Burlington is better than them in every conceivable way, yet they are able to make Burlington lower themselves to being their rival.

Oh, and CNS Casey, it's pronounced Shuh-Toe-Puh.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
2nd worst town in Kansas
« Reply #167 on: December 18, 2012, 03:32:32 PM »

Heard an NPR thing this year about how small towns in western KS is adopting the Doctors Without Boarders method of attracting new doctors to come to Western KS to serve time.

FR_BIL is a pretty elite oncologist currently serving indentured servitude in Hutch. He is NOT impressed by the space museum and would probably vote Hutch for the Mrs Gooch Coffeyville Gross Fights at Fairgrounds after the Demo Derby Trophy brought to you by abandoned Dairy Queens and Frito Pies.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 18, 2012, 03:38:03 PM »
FR_BIL is a pretty elite oncologist currently serving indentured servitude in Hutch. He is NOT impressed by the space museum and would probably vote Hutch for the Mrs Gooch Coffeyville Gross Fights at Fairgrounds after the Demo Derby Trophy brought to you by abandoned Dairy Queens and Frito Pies.

Sorry, the Cosmosphere is elite. 
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
2nd worst town in Kansas
« Reply #169 on: December 18, 2012, 03:40:15 PM »

Sorry, the Cosmosphere is elite.

Due to the timing of field trips, I associate those massive grain elevators with astronaut ice cream runs (maybe belongs in worst poops thread).

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 18, 2012, 03:41:14 PM »

The town I live in has a brand new clinic built by via christi but no doctor.  They shut it down after one year because they found it was not cost effective.   The farmer that owns the building now has been trying to get a doc out here.  Farmer said he would not charge anything to use the building.  So if you're a family medicine doc looking for a place to start a private practice here you go.  20 miles west of Wichita.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
2nd worst town in Kansas
« Reply #171 on: December 18, 2012, 03:43:47 PM »
A lot of these job offers for small-town Kansas doctors also sound like a good way to get murdered.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 18, 2012, 03:44:05 PM »
Burlingame.

It has an Allen County Community College extension campus.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Willesgirl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 18, 2012, 03:44:35 PM »
I love little western Kansas towns, like a lot. Good people live there and most of them are K-State fans. That's worth a lot of points.

That list of some kids' league schools -- Sterling, Hillsboro, Lindsborg -- when I was a kid I dreamed of my parents moving us out there where we could farm and stuff. But nope. Stuck in the JC suburbs, which in some ways are completely awful and full of KU people.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 18, 2012, 03:45:23 PM »
Uniontown.

It has a Motel named "Wyatt Earp Inn". Used to be a nursing home.
Where did you get that overnight bag?