Author Topic: 2nd worst town in Kansas  (Read 103800 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd worst town in Kansas
« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2012, 01:33:39 PM »
Horton. Words cannot describe that god awful place. It wins, if you haven't been there, give thanks to whomever or whatever you believe in that you have been able to live your life to this point without having to go to Horton. Go party it up in Galena, or Hiawatha, or Liberal, or Oakley. Ask Santa for a customer made t-shirt that says, "At least I am not in Horton."

I've never been. It's demographics do indicate that it's a crap hole. Do you have any stories, like a failing high school, lead in the water making most of the population functional retards, falling down houses, etc?

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2012, 01:36:01 PM »
Horton. Words cannot describe that god awful place. It wins, if you haven't been there, give thanks to whomever or whatever you believe in that you have been able to live your life to this point without having to go to Horton. Go party it up in Galena, or Hiawatha, or Liberal, or Oakley. Ask Santa for a customer made t-shirt that says, "At least I am not in Horton."

Is that the town that is on the way from MHK to 'chita that is right by the round-a-bout that has a water tower that looks like a big cigarette??

If so, yeah, pretty shitty town.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline billyzabka

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Re: 2nd worst town in Kansas
« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2012, 01:36:09 PM »
Chetopa is also pretty bad, but it's no Galena. For some reason I thought it was in Oklahoma.

The only reason I could see anybody possibly considering Galena to be more livable than any other city in Kansas is that it is near Joplin, and a town like Chetopa is completely isolated. Still, on its own merits, Galena is the worst.

Grandview Plaza sounds like a trailer park to me. Are you sure that is a real city with its own government and everything?

Grandview Plaza is where Timothy McVeigh holed up just prior to the okc bombing.  Gotta add to its case for #2

Offline SabiNation

• Katpak'r
  • USA Handball - Rio 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2012, 01:38:46 PM »
Chetopa is also pretty bad, but it's no Galena. For some reason I thought it was in Oklahoma.

The only reason I could see anybody possibly considering Galena to be more livable than any other city in Kansas is that it is near Joplin, and a town like Chetopa is completely isolated. Still, on its own merits, Galena is the worst.

Grandview Plaza sounds like a trailer park to me. Are you sure that is a real city with its own government and everything?

Grandview Plaza is a city in Geary County, Kansas, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 1,560. It is part of the Manhattan, Kansas Metropolitan Statistical Area.

:sdeek:

It's so bad that none of us have ever even heard of it...and it's in our own backyard!
"If i worked for the NY times, and my boss told me 'hey. if you keep ranking ksu so high, we may fire you' i would tell my boss to 'bring it on.'"  -FFF

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2012, 01:39:37 PM »
St. Marys

Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
2nd worst town in Kansas
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2012, 01:39:38 PM »
Take it back you bad person.  :shakesfist: I use to be the voice of the beavers.

is that the second #fanningbrag in the worst towns thread?  :thumbs:

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2012, 01:42:12 PM »

I've never been. It's demographics do indicate that it's a crap hole. Do you have any stories, like a failing high school, lead in the water making most of the population functional retards, falling down houses, etc?
Yes, all of those things are in Horton.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2012, 01:42:38 PM »

Grandview Plaza is a city in Geary County, Kansas, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 1,560. It is part of the Manhattan, Kansas Metropolitan Statistical Area.

It's so bad that none of us have ever even heard of it...and it's in our own backyard!

Yeah, i had to look it up too. Apparently its right between Beautiful Manhattan and Junctown

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2012, 01:44:07 PM »

Is that the town that is on the way from MHK to 'chita that is right by the round-a-bout that has a water tower that looks like a big cigarette??

If so, yeah, pretty shitty town.
Probably, is that town really awful? If so, then it is probably Horton. (Actually, I don't think that is the same town. The town you speak of is Aspen, CO compared to Horton.)

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2012, 01:45:12 PM »

Lots of LMKMSAIQ in this thread.

I don't see how Ogden doesn't win this thread, btw.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2012, 01:45:50 PM »
St. Marys

At least they burn the trash and destroy crappy buildings in St. Mary's. In Horton, people live in that house and use that fire to kill the botulism.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2012, 01:47:01 PM »
Do any of these towns have a terrifying concrete shrine built by an insane old pedophile that has a mausoleum with his mummified corpse inside?

Do any of these towns have an entire museum dedicated to mutilated barbies and severed baby doll heads?

Maybe also a life size car made from pop tabs?

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2012, 01:47:27 PM »
I forgot about Parsons, it's up there. 

Parsons was home to the Kansas Army Ammunition Plant.  I did work there.  The plant property was actually larger than the town itself.  The plant was basically a bunch of shanty buildings spread out so that if something blew up, it just blew up that shanty.  Every building was built as cheaply as possible so that if it blew, then the monetary damage was minimial.  People went to work at a place that was purposely built cheap so that if they product they were working on blew up and killed/maimed them, at least their employeer was only out $15 on the facility.  These buildings looked worse than barns that were abandonded 40 years ago, only inside they made cluster bombs.

In 2005 they announced they planned to close it, and did so in 2009.  During those 4 years, the people of the town fought to keep it open.  They actually fought for the right to go to a place designed with the possibility of blowing up for $10/hour.

I don't know if the place getting closed makes it a less depressing place to live or the fact they tried to keep it open and couldn't makes it a more depressing place to live.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2012, 01:47:36 PM »

I just did a google image search on Grandview Plaza. Wow. It's awful. At least it doesn't have a high school, though. Sending your kids to school in MHK has to sort of play into its favor. That is, unless you decide to send them to Junction City instead. I would still have to hear some anecdotal evidence to believe it's worse than some of those southeastern Kansas towns.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2012, 01:48:57 PM »
I've played golf in Horton a couple times.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2012, 01:49:20 PM »
I forgot about Parsons, it's up there. 

Parsons was home to the Kansas Army Ammunition Plant.  I did work there.  The plant property was actually larger than the town itself.  The plant was basically a bunch of shanty buildings spread out so that if something blew up, it just blew up that shanty.  Every building was built as cheaply as possible so that if it blew, then the monetary damage was minimial.  People went to work at a place that was purposely built cheap so that if they product they were working on blew up and killed/maimed them, at least their employeer was only out $15 on the facility.  These buildings looked worse than barns that were abandonded 40 years ago, only inside they made cluster bombs.

In 2005 they announced they planned to close it, and did so in 2009.  During those 4 years, the people of the town fought to keep it open.  They actually fought for the right to go to a place designed with the possibility of blowing up for $10/hour.

I don't know if the place getting closed makes it a less depressing place to live or the fact they tried to keep it open and couldn't makes it a more depressing place to live.

College prof once told me that Parsons was a huge mob informant relocation area.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 18, 2012, 01:50:42 PM »

I just did a google image search on Grandview Plaza. Wow. It's awful. At least it doesn't have a high school, though. Sending your kids to school in MHK has to sort of play into its favor. That is, unless you decide to send them to Junction City instead. I would still have to hear some anecdotal evidence to believe it's worse than some of those southeastern Kansas towns.

It's part of the JC school district. Open a Rand Mcnally once in a while. sheesh.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2012, 01:50:56 PM »
fwiw, every town in Kansas is pretty pud, minus mhk.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 18, 2012, 01:53:15 PM »
Any place i haven't heard of (60 percent of this thread).
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Ghost of Stan Parrish

• I found my password
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2012, 01:54:43 PM »
Can't believe so many folks didn't know Grandview Plaza is basically Junction...  sheesh.  Obviously not townies.

And Horton is north of MHK.  Up by Hiawatha.  Folks from Hiawatha call Horton "whore-town."  HTH.
"I'm thankful our MHK forefathers had the foresight to lynch white dudes so that we might be able to throw up the mob with a clear conscience."

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2012, 01:55:31 PM »

It's part of the JC school district. Open a Rand Mcnally once in a while. sheesh.

Grandview Plaza is basically a suburb of JC. Just the fact that it was one of the first places in the state to allow sunday liqour sales should exempt it from this list.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 18, 2012, 01:56:04 PM »
fwiw, every town in Kansas is pretty pud, minus mhk.

You could say that about most states, though.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 18, 2012, 01:56:55 PM »
My high school league from best to worst. I might be forgetting a few, but none of these places are worth remembering.

Hillsboro: Clean living people close to McPherson which is one of the better towns in KS
Hesston: More clean living people with decent jobs
Lindsborg-Smoky Valley: People dedicated to their Swedish culture, weird but not messy

Wichita-Collegiate: actually idk where this goes, probably #1

Hoistington - Just a town on K-4
Haven- Ahead of the curve for declining rural towns
Sterling - Boring people doing drugs for ANY sense of excitement
Ellinwood - Oily yet poor
Marion - Always got a hillbilly feel from these people

Nickerson: My god. A suburb of Hutchinson. Voodooville would be a more appropriate name. Poor and mean.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 18, 2012, 01:59:07 PM »
Do any of these towns have a terrifying concrete shrine built by an insane old pedophile that has a mausoleum with his mummified corpse inside?

Do any of these towns have an entire museum dedicated to mutilated barbies and severed baby doll heads?

Maybe also a life size car made from pop tabs?

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 18, 2012, 01:59:18 PM »
I've played golf in Horton a couple times.
Do you still fall on your knees and cry every time you shower?